Radar dish/antenna question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jermmd

Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I'm buying a new house that has one of those old giant radar dishes on the property. Do these things serve any function anymore? Are they useful for getting OTA signals from far away and can they be used for digital, HD signals? It seems a waste to throw it away but I suspect that's what I'll need to do.

Thanks,

Joe M.

I'm buying a new house that has one of those old giant radar dishes on the property. Do these things serve any function anymore? Are they useful for getting OTA signals from far away and can they be used for digital, HD signals? It seems a waste to throw it away but I suspect that's what I'll need to do.

Thanks,

Joe M.

It is probably a BUD (big ugly dish) 6-12 feet in diameter, most have a mesh/rib construction, some were fiberglass sections bolted together. Put an ad in your local giveaway paper, someone will probably come get it out of your way.
No good for over the air stuff. You could get it going for c or Ku band free to air satellite stuff if you are inclined. There is some HD available. Go take a look at the FTA sections on this forum.
Where on the land mass are you?

Regards, Eric

Thanks for the reply. It's definiteley a BUD.:D

I'm in Southbury, CT. Zip 06488. I'll chesk the other forums as recommended.

If it is 8 feet or larger, it IS good for off air reception; although more useful
at UHF frequencies (14-69). Great for experimenting to receive long distance signals, depending upon placement of your UHF antenna dipole or array.

If it is 8 feet or larger, it IS good for off air reception; although more useful
at UHF frequencies (14-69). Great for experimenting to receive long distance signals, depending upon placement of your UHF antenna dipole or array.
I would guess it's pretty close to 12 feet and aimed at NYC (maybe 75 miles away). I'll see what I've got once I get into the house.

Thanks again,

Joe M.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)