Radio Ad - 100 HD Channels

TazmanianD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I just heard an ad on the radio for Dish that made me laugh. I wasn't paying attention until the end so I can't quote the ad precisely, but it was essentially along the lines of, "sign up now for a free HD receiver and get 100 channels of HD programming" and then immediately after that in a slightly quieter and faster voice, was added "by the end of the year".

How's that for spin in advertising?

Last spring when I was working for D* they told us with their new sats going up that they would have 100 HD channels by end of 2007, and 150 HD channels by the end of 2008.....

Which one sounds like a bigger stretch?????

The one thing I will give Dish, is they're not just throwing up channels and calling them HD, with no HD content.(ok TBS, but that was for the world series) Is there anything on USA in true HD besides guys in tights..err... umm...I mean "wrestling." Same with Sci-Fi......BSG is about it.

Once the TAPS guys at Ghost Hunters start filiming ghosts with HD cameras, I will be picketing at E* for Scifi HD.....until then, well......

There was a 4-page insert in our Sunday paper last weekend that said the same thing - 100 HD channels by the end of the year. ... and, to their credit, the "end of the year" was NOT in tiny little print in the disclaimer, rather, it was right there on the front of the insert.

The one thing I will give Dish, is they're not just throwing up channels and calling them HD, with no HD content.(ok TBS, but that was for the world series) Is there anything on USA in true HD besides guys in tights..err... umm...I mean "wrestling." Same with Sci-Fi......BSG is about it.
Wow, you obviously haven't seen either of those channels in HD. Tons more than what you think are in true HD on each. USA HD shows tons of HD movies, Monk, L&O and other shows; SciFi HD shows some HD movies, the entire Tin Man was in HD, Stargate Atlantis and some other shows. I don't watch either channel much, but do check when I see a show labeled as HD in the guide just to check it out.

Wow, you obviously haven't seen either of those channels in HD. Tons more than what you think are in true HD on each. USA HD shows tons of HD movies, Monk, L&O and other shows; SciFi HD shows some HD movies, the entire Tin Man was in HD, Stargate Atlantis and some other shows. I don't watch either channel much, but do check when I see a show labeled as HD in the guide just to check it out.
umm Tin Man was in SD !!

umm Tin Man was in SD !!
Not on D* it wasn't.

And I'm not meaning to be sticking my D* nose in on the E* thread, but since I saw inaccurate info posted about D*, I wanted to correct (just as I expect E*customers would do/do do on D* threads).

Also, USA HD also shows some golf in HD, and House and NCIS; and SciFi shows Jericho season 1 in HD. I forgot those before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)