Rain fade chart?

I am not sure you will find one. Rain fade varies on many factors. I have seen rainfade when it was raining in the distance but not on my property.

I have had monster down pours and havent lost signal, and I have had times where the slightest spikle would knock me out for a few moments.

I've had "rain-fade" experiences similar to Scott's where T&L storms south of my area will cause me to lose signal on 61.5 and/or 110/119 while it's bone-dry in my area.

The problem is that rain fade is really a misnomer. Rain fade has nothing to do with actual rainfall. It has to do with concentrations of water in the atmosphere (big, dark clouds). As Scott said, there are times when you have rain fade and it isn't raining a drop where you are. However your dish is trying to get signal through a 20-mile high cloud that isn't dumping rain yet.

A "Rain Fade" map based on average rainfall per year is worthless... even worse, deceptive. I bet the northwest has less rain fade events than we do here in the midwest even though they get more rainfall. The difference is the cloud layers for most of the northwest rain events are relatively thin and the dish has no problem collecting enough signal through that. While here in the midwest we have two months of mostly dry weather but with evening thunder storms (some of them dry) with massive clouds blocking the DBS signal for 3-10 minutes at a time.

See ya
Tony

The problem is that rain fade is really a misnomer. Rain fade has nothing to do with actual rainfall. It has to do with concentrations of water in the atmosphere (big, dark clouds). As Scott said, there are times when you have rain fade and it isn't raining a drop where you are. However your dish is trying to get signal through a 20-mile high cloud that isn't dumping rain yet.

A "Rain Fade" map based on average rainfall per year is worthless... even worse, deceptive. I bet the northwest has less rain fade events than we do here in the midwest even though they get more rainfall. The difference is the cloud layers for most of the northwest rain events are relatively thin and the dish has no problem collecting enough signal through that. While here in the midwest we have two months of mostly dry weather but with evening thunder storms (some of them dry) with massive clouds blocking the DBS signal for 3-10 minutes at a time.

See ya
Tony

I totally agree and understand your perspective, however even though it may be technically deceptive I need something to present to a client showing the reliability of Satellite incorporating rain/storm fade. Keep in mind they're simple minded. Anything you got would be of extreme help! I've been googling for 2 hours. :(

Ask yourself where does the cable company get their signals? From Satellites of course, they just use biger Dishes.

I can only count a few times when I had rainfade and the signal was lost no more for a few minutes.

Ask yourself where does the cable company get their signals? From Satellites of course, they just use biger Dishes.

I can only count a few times when I had rainfade and the signal was lost no more for a few minutes.

Oh I know, and am totally on your side of thinking. I've got to be able on paper show some type of proof/statement of the reliability of satellite.

A chart that will show estimates of how long satellite service will be out during the year due to rain fade. It's been several years however I did see a chart that was by region that would estimate for example "352 minutes annually in XXX Region"

I'll keep looking, but I haven't seen any such chart over the years otherwise it would have found its way to the EKB.

352 minutes (5 hours 52 minutes) may be the total amount of time I have had rain fade over the last 12½ years combined. But during the aftermath of the remnants of Ike blowing thought this area I had 4,320 minutes of "wind fade" from the cable company. :) Then in January I had another 1,000 minute wind fade event. :)

See ya
Tony
I just had to chime in and say that was very well stated! :) If anyone has to "prove" rain fade margins, I'd just recommend the equipment needed to overcome signal loss (up to the point of diminishing return, of course) and base it upon the history of the region and their experience.

I need something to present to a client showing the reliability of Satellite incorporating rain/storm fade. Keep in mind they're simple minded.

Simple mind? Did you really just called your client "simple minded" because they may not be as technically savvy as you are? Sounds like you have a lot to learn about business.

I need something to present to a client showing the reliability of Satellite incorporating rain/storm fade. Keep in mind they're simple minded.

Simple mind? Did you really just called your client "simple minded" because they may not be as technically savvy as you are? Sounds like you have a lot to learn about business.

I agree with the Original poster. "Simple Minded" by my definition is people; that can't distinguish facts from marketing Hype.

The Cable industry has been trying to fill peoples heads with the Rain Fade myth for years, Yes, Myth. Rain Fade is the biggest, but NOT the only Myth that is brought forth to try to deter Cable Subs from churning to Satellite.

I've had Satellite since 1997, since then I can reliably say my Down time due to Rain Fade is less than 300 minutes total. I live and work at home and will say my TV can be on for 10 hours per day. If I do have a Rain Fade event it always lasts last less than 5 minutes, but most times less than 2 minutes.

There are so many factors that can define or mitigate Rain Fade due to location, quality of installation, amongst others it would be impossible to try to define or estimate how many or how long a service outage could be out at any geographical location. This laughable at best.

The bottom line is if satellite was as unreliable as the cable industry suggests it is or could be, I guarantee Dish and DirecTV wouldn't have 30 plus Million subscribers collectively.

As the last poster said if satellite reception was such a problem why do cable companies choose to harvest the signals, they use to deliver content to their subscribers, from Satellites.

John

Last edited:
Thanks. I can't give all the details as to why exactly i'm asking, that's why it may seem a bit vague. Potential client now client had a pre-set form they wanted filled out with the proposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts