Rain Fade in Chicago

Spliff

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 19, 2005
I have a 622 and a Dish 1000 that was installed last Feb by a Dish reseller. With all the rain here in Chicago this weekend I lost signal on 129 often.

What signal levels should I be getting on 110/119/129 with the new signal meter?

One problem I noticed is that the tech used the Dish 500 mast for the 1000, and I think it moves a lot more than my Dish 500 at my last house. Could that be a problem?

I have a 622 and a Dish 1000 that was installed last Feb by a Dish reseller. With all the rain here in Chicago this weekend I lost signal on 129 often.

What signal levels should I be getting on 110/119/129 with the new signal meter?

One problem I noticed is that the tech used the Dish 500 mast for the 1000, and I think it moves a lot more than my Dish 500 at my last house. Could that be a problem?

I live in S.E. Michigan and it's been raining since yesterday morning. Like you, my installer used the 500 mast for the 1000 when they installed back in February. However, I haven't experienced any signal loss on any satellite that I'm aware of. I thought my HD would be affected (129) but so far so good. I haven't checked the signal levels since I haven't had problems.

I'd like to know too (may need to specify transponders too though). I have to admit, it's getting a bit too frequent to lose signal when it rains anymore.... It was nice back in the D* days when it only looked at one satellite. In 2-3 years, I'll bet I lost signal less than 10 days, probably closer to 5 though. I understand the tradeoff of a multi-satellite dish but don't think it should be this bad. Hell, even my kids (8 and 5) are used to it !! I do have DHPP (part of my 18-mo commitment) and might just need to take E* up on it.

I live in Chicago as well, and the rain has really wreaked havok on my 129 signal lately.

You've had a string of strong storms up there, which we got yesterday and I lost all three sats for a while. Rain is one thing. Storm fronts will shut you down.

Is there a difference between the 500 and 1000 mast?

I'm in NE Iowa and it's been one storm right after the other recently. One heavy storm front came up out of the SW and took out my signal before it even rained. Like KAB storm fronts like have being passing through recently are gonna shut us down.

Normal rain doesn't bother my signal at all but really heavy storms can interrupt things briefly. It doesn't bother me for the most part since I do most of my viewing from pre-recorded DVR stuff. Hopefully whatever got interrupted will be on again.

The signal from the Dish 1000 is lower enough that I wish I had a dedicated Dish 500 pointed at 129 although I don't know how much difference it would actually make with these severe storms.

I get 129 rain fade when clouds appear. Hopefully they can eliminate 129. It sucks up here.

Schaumburg here and I had 97-100 on TP 31 on 129 now I have 54-56. I lost some signal on Sunday night during a heavy downpour but not for long maybe 5 minutes. I use a 1000.2 as my dish and it is slightly detuned for 110,119 for a higher signal on 129.

They said this new signal meter was to make things more uniform. I don't understand how 110 and 119 only lost about 30 points and 129 lost 45.

Schaumburg here and I had 97-100 on TP 31 on 129 now I have 54-56. I use a 1000.2 as my dish and it is slightly detuned for 110,119 for a higher signal on 129.
That is a really good number for the 129'. In fact, I've never heard of anyone getting that high.

I used to get 99 on tp31 on 129 (in may, last time i created an excel spreadsheet of all my TP SS). just checked now and i'm getting 65-66. its sunny/nice out right now.

with that said, i'm very unhappy about how often i lose signal with the storm fronts/rain.

i have a 1000+, too.

Well I have a 1000 dish with the 622 and ever since this new software rain fade is something new to me. I was getting 70 on 129 now lucky to get 35 or 40. And 100 and 119 are lucky to be 50 when I had 80 to 90. What was the main reason to change the signal meter anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts