Finally Got Dish HD - Couple OF Questions

The Harrington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
NYC/Lehigh Valley, PA
After weeks of reading various posts here at SatelliteGuys and a few other sources I finally went forward with the upgrade to HD. Other than my installer showing up at 3:45 PM for the install (and not beween 8 & 12 like he was supoosed to) it all went very smoothly and last night I just stared at Animal Planet for a few hours.

Anyway, I had a few questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. First, whenever I change the channel I get a box on the left side of the screen near the top that says "Normal"; what exactly is this box telling me?

Second, for whatever reason I am getting both SD & HD NYC locals in the 6300 channel range. Is this because I originally had service in the NY market? Will it stay that way (which I'd like) or eventually disappear?

Finally, the installer tok the new remotes with him and left the ones I had for the old DVR. I am guessing this is because they were already programmed to control my TVs and DVD player, etc. Is there any reason to want the newer remotes that come with the 622?

Thanks for the help.

TH

The "normal" stands for the aspect feature of the 622. Press the * key on your remote to cycle through the available settings. Its used to stretch 4:3 show to fit your 16:9 HDTV.

The installer should not have taken you remotes. Those are yours and you may need them one day. If you have his number (like if he called you when he was running late), then I'd give him a call and request them back.

I have remotes for 625 and 622. The remote from the 625 for some reason does not turn my 622 off. A fluke maybe, but you should have new remotes with new receiver. No excuses.

Thanks for the replies. Before I bother anyone else with more mundane questions, I know I saw in one of the forums an external link for an expanded user manual/guide for the 622. I have searched here, google and my history and can't find the &%!@$ link. Does anyone out there know what I speak of and have the link? :confused:

Two things I've seen, Scott on this site had long list of how to's on the 622. Manual can be downloaded from the DishNetwork site.

It must be the "how to" list that I saw. I know it had a lot more info than the manual which a number of people said left a lot to be desired. From my own limited experience and the many posts here I'd have to agree. Now just have to find that link!

Thanks for the tip nazz. I have one last question to throw out to whoever reads this thread --> during the HDTV setup you come to a point where you have to select resolution. The TV I have is a Toshiba 42" which is described as a "720p DLP HDTV" However, the user guide states the TV is HDTV compatible for 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. So because my TV is a 720p DLP HDTV do I set the resolution for 720P or, because it is compatible for 1080i, do I set it for that? :confused:

I'd set it to the 720P to match the native resolution of the receiver.

That said, I'd also experiment and see which looks better to you and your eyes in your environment.

Yeah, this is one of those things where it would make sense to pick 720p since that is the native resolution of your TV.

But you might find that since most HD channels are 1080i, that either the Dish 622 has to scale it to 720p for you, or if you can let the TV scale it to 720p by leaving the 622 set to 1080i. Some find that the TV's scaler gives a superior picture than the 622's scaler.

So you might be better served with selecting 1080i. Really it falls down to which one looks better to you.

Yeah, this is one of those things where it would make sense to pick 720p since that is the native resolution of your TV.

But you might find that since most HD channels are 1080i, that either the Dish 622 has to scale it to 720p for you, or if you can let the TV scale it to 720p by leaving the 622 set to 1080i. Some find that the TV's scaler gives a superior picture than the 622's scaler.

So you might be better served with selecting 1080i. Really it falls down to which one looks better to you.
I find that to be the case. ABC (720p) looks better letting my Sammy do the work.

...the user guide states the TV is HDTV compatible for 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. So because my TV is a 720p DLP HDTV do I set the resolution for 720P...
Your TV is only capable of displaying 720p (or it does the best job on that resolution). It will accept the resolutions you listed but it converts them to 720p.

Odds are, the best setting for your receiver is also 720p but as others have suggested, it doesn't hurt to try 1080i and decide for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)