Rain fade worse with Slimline

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ben12345

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I had my previous Directv dish replaced with the Slimline for HD. I have strong signals on all sats (in the 90s) but anytime it rains I lose the signal. With the smaller dish I had before, it took quite a storm for it to go out.

I thought the Slimline being a bigger dish, heavier and a stronger signal it would perform better in rain. I have seen the covers that you can put on the dish that is suppose to reduce rain fade.

Does anyone know if these work?

I had my previous Directv dish replaced with the Slimline for HD. I have strong signals on all sats (in the 90s) but anytime it rains I lose the signal. With the smaller dish I had before, it took quite a storm for it to go out.

I thought the Slimline being a bigger dish, heavier and a stronger signal it would perform better in rain. I have seen the covers that you can put on the dish that is suppose to reduce rain fade.

Does anyone know if these work?
Is the 5 LNB in the same location? Do you have any tree branches that could hang down in front of the dish when wet? Did they extend your cables when the changed dishes? How are your Ka signals? Generally the 5 LNB dish is more resistant to rain fade but it does still get rained out.:)

Dont know if its just me, but i put RAINX on my dish and rainfade has been virtually eleminated. How this helps im not sure and it may not even play a role, but seems to.

Ben
I changed my 3 LNB to the 5 LNB last weekend. Same cables same location. All Sat are 97-99 with the exception on sat 99 which has no signal. I have had three storms since I made the change and it seems to me that I loose lock much quicker with the 5 over the 3. I will say that the storms have been severe.

msmith
I am going to try using RainX on my Dish. I had always assumed that the Sat xmittions were being blocked from reaching the Sat Dish. So I always tried to give it the strongest pathway. Never considered that water on the parabolic was impeding the signal.. Actually I still don't believe it, but I will try it..

Ben
I changed my 3 LNB to the 5 LNB last weekend. Same cables same location. All Sat are 97-99 with the exception on sat 99 which has no signal. I have had three storms since I made the change and it seems to me that I loose lock much quicker with the 5 over the 3. I will say that the storms have been severe.

msmith
I am going to try using RainX on my Dish. I had always assumed that the Sat xmittions were being blocked from reaching the Sat Dish. So I always tried to give it the strongest pathway. Never considered that water on the parabolic was impeding the signal.. Actually I still don't believe it, but I will try it..
Yeah cant hurt. It makes sense in a way, snow on a dish surface can block a signal or break it up anyway, so why couldnt water? Nothing to lose

Mine does seem more sensitive but I don't see what Rainx is going to do. Its the rain and clouds that exist in the LOS that causes the signal loss. Hell you could mount an umbrella over it and it will not help.

Mine does seem more sensitive but I don't see what Rainx is going to do. Its the rain and clouds that exist in the LOS that causes the signal loss. Hell you could mount an umbrella over it and it will not help.
well not sure why it works, all i know is since i put it on there ive had maybe 2 fadeouts and those were in major FLOODS. Ive done this on my E* dish also that ive had for years and was prone to fadeouts, same result.

Although I occassionally get rain fadeouts briefly on my new slimeline dish, I find that it's much better than the old 3lnb dish.

Since it seems you did your own dish upgrade, did you brace the dish using monopoles or did you just mount the mast directly to your house?

I did do my own install. Mounted it on the block exterior wall in the same place that my 3 LNB was mounted. I used 6 lag bolts. The dish will rip off long before the mount gets stressed. I did not use a monopole. If you think a couple of monopoles would help I will get them and install them. It seems that the mounting pole could have been shorter than it is. I guess what I'm asking is why the dish didn't come with these monopoles if they are required.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll bet your right...

I did do my own install. Mounted it on the block exterior wall in the same place that my 3 LNB was mounted. I used 6 lag bolts. The dish will rip off long before the mount gets stressed. I did not use a monopole. If you think a couple of monopoles would help I will get them and install them. It seems that the mounting pole could have been shorter than it is. I guess what I'm asking is why the dish didn't come with these monopoles if they are required.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll bet your right...

Would one of those silly covers help to reduce wind shear??? Therefore give the appearance of helping with rain fade. maybe they just gave that product the wrong name.

Would one of those silly covers help to reduce wind shear??? Therefore give the appearance of helping with rain fade. maybe they just gave that product the wrong name.
I dont see how it could help wind shear, depending on how tight it fits i could actually see it making it worse

I dunno, I experienced rain fade more often with the AT9 and AU9 than my Phase III odu.
I think it's power. I had a 4X8 at 1st and rain fade wasn't that big of an issue, but with a 6X8 that's passive I think it drawing enough power to suffer during bad weather.

That whole RAINX thing makes me chuckle. It reminds me of all the customers that ask about spraying the dish with Pam.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts