Rain Fade

Jude Robert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Is there any good way to overcome rain fade? My Father-in-law just install Dish last week and lost service for a could of hours due to rain fade. Just his bad luck that a line of heavy t-storms pass the day after he had it installed - he installed Dish after seeing mine for the last few years. So now I feel compelled to search for something that might help. I have seen a couple of websites that sell products that claim to fix rain fade but do they really work?

Thanks!

Is there any good way to overcome rain fade? My Father-in-law just install Dish last week and lost service for a could of hours due to rain fade. Just his bad luck that a line of heavy t-storms pass the day after he had it installed - he installed Dish after seeing mine for the last few years. So now I feel compelled to search for something that might help. I have seen a couple of websites that sell products that claim to fix rain fade but do they really work?

Thanks!

A larger dish will help. Also, a stronger signal will help by putting you further away from the threshold where you lose signal.

Two hours seems like a long time. I would suspect that the dish is not perfectly peaked. Can you post the model of his receiver and some signal strengths on a few different transponders?

Good Luck, Eric

Two hours seems like a long time. I would suspect that the dish is not perfectly peaked. Can you post the model of his receiver and some signal strengths on a few different transponders?

Good Luck, Eric

Thanks, he has 2 722s - I will call him tonight and have him check the signal strength, he lives about 70 miles away.

I have very good signal strengths, and have lost signal for as much as 4 hours. I live in Flash Flood Alley in central Texas, where cloud cover with no rain can knock out service. (dark charcoal colored clouds). Most often I lose signal for 15 to 30 mins, but a few times has been for many hours at a time. Some of you may not be familiar with the type of cloud cover we get in Texas (sometimes it gets as dark as a total eclipse of the sun). :)

Back when I was in Vegas, we had a storm so bad that it snapped 4 power poles at the end of our street. For a few minutes before the UPS shut down, we still had signal. Of course, no power means no watching TV. Them boys at Nevada Power had that power back on in less than 2 hours. They sawed off the pole tops from the broken poles and used booms to hoist them back up in the air until they could set new poles the next day.

I have very good signal strengths, and have lost signal for as much as 4 hours. I live in Flash Flood Alley in central Texas, where cloud cover with no rain can knock out service. (dark charcoal colored clouds). Most often I lose signal for 15 to 30 mins, but a few times has been for many hours at a time. Some of you may not be familiar with the type of cloud cover we get in Texas (sometimes it gets as dark as a total eclipse of the sun). :)

Same here in south Louisiana, he lives in New Orleans and that front that passed through last week was as bad as it gets, other than a tropical storm. It maybe just bad luck that it happend the same week he was installed.

Nothing trumps a "gullie washer"

I know what you are going thru. I have a .9 meter on 129 & it will lose signal when a major thunderstorm comes thru. These are know in TX as gullie washer's or frog stranglers. Reason for this is the cloud tops of these storms are upwards of 5 to 6 miles in the atmosphere and loaded with heavy rain and hail. The rain comes down in torrents similar to a tropical storm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)