Rainbow Retrans Issue on the horizon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
I'm not a directv person, but I saw this in the multichannel update overnight and thought some of y'all might have missed it. Looks like d* has 'til the end of the year to work out a new retrans deal with Rainbow Media (for AMC, IFC, We, etc) and MSG.

Add programming and affiliate executives at DirecTV and Rainbow Media and MSG to those who may be trying to hammer out carriage renewals on New Year's Eve.

The multiyear distribution contracts for Rainbow Media's national services AMC, We TV, IFC and Fuse conclude with DirecTV on Dec. 31, as do the deals for regional sports networks MSG and MSG Plus. Sources familiar with the negotiations also indicate that Sundance Channel, which Rainbow acquired last year, and Wedding Central, the spin-off of the women's-targeted We service, are also part of the negotiations.

A DirecTV spokesman confirmed in an email that "we are actively negotiating with them, having productive discussions" without providing further elaboration. Officials at Rainbow Media and MSG both declined to comment.
(Story found here)

I used to have Cablevision before I just switched back to DirecTV. But, if the remove MSG from their lineup later this week, I will be one of the first to leave. Not having Versus AND MSG...what is this Ranger fan supposed to do?!?!

DIRECTV Could Lose AMC, MSG This Friday

Cobra,

Remember MSG has the rights to the following NHL teams (NJ Devils, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, and Buffalo Sabres). Seems ludicrous for DirecTV to not reach a Deal for MSG.

Secondly DirecTV would lose all the Center Ice HOME Feeds for all the MSG Teams as well. This could be VERY bad publicity for DirecTV.

I Hope it doesn't happen, but I'm not currently a DirecTV sub. I'm considering DirecTV because Dish does not have MSG HD (I'm a Sabres fan), as well as Dish's possible new billing increases could indeed cause me to switch to DirecTV after the 09-10 NHL Season (As I already have NHL Center Ice with Dish).

John

only one i care about in this list is AMC

The only content of this list that interests me is AMC, and as that is in SD, I rarely ever watch it. I did watch a movie off of AMC a few days ago. Glad I DVR'ed it, because the broadcast pattern was 7 minutes of movie, followed by 4 minutes of commercials, repeat, repeat, repeat. Very annoying. It destroyed the continuity of the movie, having to hit the skip ahead 8 times every 7 minutes.

If all of these channels disappeared tomorrow, I would still have 99.9% of the content that I regularly view.

My guess is this will get worked out and this will result in AMC HD coming to Directv. Unlike Versus they have more to loose with AMC and MSG no longer being available on D*.

My guess is this will get worked out and this will result in AMC HD coming to Directv. Unlike Versus they have more to loose with AMC and MSG no longer being available on D*.

MSG would be a major loss and as I already mentioned would send me running to Comcast. Not something I'm looking forward to but they've rebuilt the entire system in my area and have a ton of HD.

But those Moto DVRs are crap.

I used to have Cablevision before I just switched back to DirecTV. But, if the remove MSG from their lineup later this week, I will be one of the first to leave. Not having Versus AND MSG...what is this Ranger fan supposed to do?!?!

DIRECTV Could Lose AMC, MSG This Friday

The only reason I came back to direc was for MSGHD.
Rangers IN HD...

Cant even get that now???

I live in South Florida-grew up in Ny a big Ranger fan...
I dont even like watching Ranger games from other networks..

I wonder if this will ever be fixed??

Cobra,

Remember MSG has the rights to the following NHL teams (NJ Devils, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, and Buffalo Sabres). Seems ludicrous for DirecTV to not reach a Deal for MSG.

Secondly DirecTV would lose all the Center Ice HOME Feeds for all the MSG Teams as well. This could be VERY bad publicity for DirecTV.

I Hope it doesn't happen, but I'm not currently a DirecTV sub. I'm considering DirecTV because Dish does not have MSG HD (I'm a Sabres fan), as well as Dish's possible new billing increases could indeed cause me to switch to DirecTV after the 09-10 NHL Season (As I already have NHL Center Ice with Dish).

John

Ive noticed that the MSG HD feed has been blocked for a while. SD feed always available unit, now.

I pay for center ice plus the sports pack. It seems I cant get ''any'' MSG sports broadcast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts