Rainbow Spin-off is dead

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Lucky Voom will Survive

Lucky voom will survive. It is the most amazing experience. It is the Ferrari of HD. We are serious HD viewers, and once you taste voom it hooks you like a drug . The dazzling brilliance of voom crisp picture, all the major movie channels in HD, Starz, Cinemaax, Bravo, Encore, etc is just something the competition cannot fathom. I watched Lord of the Rings, Return of the KIng in HD , only on Starz only on voom. Voom is taking off, millions of HD sets are being sold and people are hungry for HD. One bad installation is not going to stop them, neither will you and all the other doomsday scenario crow. The revolution is only beginning and the prize is brilliant. Voom is HD in all its glory

Happy New Year Voom give us more jewels in 2005

New rumor

I got this google alert sent to me today from: http://news.designtechnica.com/article6201.html

erry Del Colliano of AudioRevolution has posted a news story claiming the struggling HDTV service provider could possibly cease to exist very soon.

"Cablevision said in a regulatory filing that the company would cease the spin-off in its current form and try to "pursue strategic alternatives" for the satellite business.

According to online reports, VOOM has about 26,000 subscribers, creating in the neighborhood of $5,900,000 in revenue. Total operating expenses will top out at over $75,000,000 this year creating a virtual black hole of profitability, even for the deep-pocketed Cablevision."

VOOM has received mediocre reviews by various publications. While the content and quality appears to be above-par, customer service and installation has been plagued with problems causing numerous upset customers.

Read more at Audio Revolution

VewDew said:
I got this google alert sent to me today from: http://news.designtechnica.com/article6201.html

erry Del Colliano of AudioRevolution has posted a news story claiming the struggling HDTV service provider could possibly cease to exist very soon.

"Cablevision said in a regulatory filing that the company would cease the spin-off in its current form and try to "pursue strategic alternatives" for the satellite business.

According to online reports, VOOM has about 26,000 subscribers, creating in the neighborhood of $5,900,000 in revenue. Total operating expenses will top out at over $75,000,000 this year creating a virtual black hole of profitability, even for the deep-pocketed Cablevision."

VOOM has received mediocre reviews by various publications. While the content and quality appears to be above-par, customer service and installation has been plagued with problems causing numerous upset customers.

Read more at Audio Revolution

No offense, but where have you been the past two weeks? In a cave? This is VERY old news but always fun when a new rumor starts! :) Your thread title had me going for a minute! :D

Indy said:
No offense, but where have you been the past two weeks? In a cave? This is VERY old news but always fun when a new rumor starts! :) Your thread title had me going for a minute! :D

No offense taken, I have been in a cave (at the in-laws!) :D

I am still truely amazed that people still believe everyting they read just because it is in print. I am a PR guy who writes the stuff to make people believe what clients or writers want them to believe. Barnum said it best and he was the best PR guy the world every produced, "there's a sucker borne every minute." If you believe everything you read about VOOM from so called "industry experts" without looking at what really goes on, I know a guy who has a great deal on swamp land in Florida.

VewDew said:
No offense taken, I have been in a cave (at the in-laws!) :D

Oh man! That's a tough tour of duty. My condolences if your Mother-In-Law is as batty as mine! :D

I have been predicting that VOOM would be sold in entirety or "parted" out for almost a year now. Once Cablevision announced that it was going to spinoff the company meant that it was bleeding red ink like a stuck pig. Cablevision's board of directors were going nuts about the loses being on the books. Now, the bleeding is worse. So, the only last option is to sell the whole company, or part out its satellites and programming. Selling their user-base is also an option.

>My crusty crystal ball is proving itself to be real...

Cheers!

HehDaddy

HehDaddy just keep looking at your crystal ball for a couple of years more, cause Voom is here to Stay . We will all be Vooming into 2005 and beyond; watch Voom will surprise you and all the other doomsday crowd. We will have the last laugh

Voom is the best thing to happen to television since color tv

hehdaddy said:
I have been predicting that VOOM would be sold in entirety or "parted" out for almost a year now.
>My crusty crystal ball is proving itself to be real...

Cheers!

How do you figure that? Since you started your predictions, VOOM has added more channels and done upgrades to software. You are only reading want you want to read and ignoring everying else that has been said. I don't disagree that a sale may be in the future but I do think it will preserve VOOm as good as it is today or better.

Okay, here comes a daring prediction... I predict that someday Voom will be gone. I predict that someday the earth will be gone. I predict that someday the Milky Way will be gone. I know it all comes as a shock, but get over it.

Ok here goes....in the new year I predict there will be more rumors about Voom from people that have no idea what's going to happen...... :yes

Hang on Voom

I hope Voom does not go away. I just got my 60" HDTV and can't wait to break it in. The biggest problem that I have where I live is getting the installer to my house. Today is the 4th time they have not showed up. Between that and the guys at S**RS talking bad about Voom it's no wonder they are having problems. If Voom goes away there is no one who has the HD programing, surely some buyer will notice that and buy Voom. It will grow if it where better managed. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

-- Also, speaking of EchoStar, Eagan ( Oppenheimer's Thomas Eagan ) is convinced that the company, led by its mercurial chairman, Charlie Ergen, will buy Cablevision's Voom satellite for between $125 million and $175 million.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yho...6DCA7}

Note that it says the Satellite, not the service.

vurbano said:

Wow, the link won't work, Here, Voom/E* stuff at the bottom, in bold

A Sirius stake for Viacom?
Oppenheimer analyst says it could happen
By David B. Wilkerson, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 11:08 PM ET Jan. 5, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Oppenheimer & Co. analysts on Wednesday said Viacom could consider buying a stake in Sirius Satellite Radio in exchange for letting radio host Howard Stern jump to Sirius before his contract with Infinity runs out, in 2006.

In a research note outlining the firm's picks for key themes to watch in 2005, Oppenheimer's Peter Mirsky told clients he sees a possible scenario in which Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone would accommodate the outspoken and controversial Stern to secure a stake in the upstart Sirius (SIRI: news, chart, profile), which has been one of the most talked-about stocks in the media industry for several months.

Sirius shares rose about 200 percent, to the $9 level, between October and December, fueled by the signings of Stern and radio legend Mel Karmazin, who was named its new CEO, before leveling off.

An investment in Sirius or rival XM Satellite Radio might make sense for two reasons, Mirsky said. "It gives Viacom (VIA: news, chart, profile) (VIA.B: news, chart, profile) a stake in a technology that ad buyers are using as a stalking horse against broadcast radio and it brings a fast-growing investment into the fold."

Mirsky added that he doesn't know to what extent there might be bad blood between Redstone and Karmazin; Karmazin left as Viacom's chief operating officer in June, the result of what many observers believed to be a power struggle. Both men have denied there is any rancor.

Viacom has stated its intention to divest some of its Infinity radio stations in an effort to focus on its top 21 markets.

The traditional radio industry has seen slowing advertising growth for several quarters, and increasing competition from satellite radio, MP3 players, video game players and other devices has raised some questions about the medium's future.

Stern has made no secret of his advocacy of satellite radio, mentioning it on his radio program on many occasions.

Infinity Chief Operating Officer Joel Hollander discussed his reaction to the threat from satellite, Stern and the divestiture strategy in a presentation to investors last month. See full story.

Merrill Lynch analyst Jessica Reif Cohen, who also issued a 2005 outlook Wednesday, said she thinks Viacom won't be content to stop at the sale of 40 to 45 radio stations, as she had previously estimated. She now says as many as 70 to 75 stations could be jettisoned, which would be a greater boost to the company's stock. (Viacom is a significant shareholder in MarketWatch Inc., the publisher of this report.)

Turning to cable, Oppenheimer's Thomas Eagan said he believes that video-on-demand will experience faster growth than digital video recorders (such as TiVo) this year.

Though Rupert Murdoch-controlled satellite giant DirecTV (DTV: news, chart, profile) is rolling out DVRs with its set-top boxes that will hold up to 100 hours of stored content with a lot of bells and whistles, cable can use VOD to let consumers "choose and then control the viewing of movies, series and special events from a vast library of titles," Eagan said.

Comcast will be among the most aggressive in the VOD arena. Under a deal with Sony (SNE: news, chart, profile) (JP:6758: news, chart, profile), it will have access to Sony's newly-acquired MGM library, which includes more than 4,000 titles.

"Very soon, our customers will have at their disposal, older library titles, every month, 100 free movies, that will be replenished, 5 percent, every month," said Dave Watson, executive vice president of operations at Comcast, at a New York investment conference in December. See full story.

However, Reif Cohen points out that several issues between studios and cable operators are holding back VOD as a mass appeal item, including pricing, how the revenue between the entities will be split, and how much time should elapse between the arrival of a movie on home video and its debut on VOD.

Among other deals the Oppenheimer analysts expect to see:

-- News Corp. (NWS: news, chart, profile) will buy back the 18 percent of Fox Entertainment it doesn't already own, says Mirsky, because it no longer needs the spin-off to unlock the value of its film and television assets or offer an investment vehicle for people who only wanted to invest in its U.S. assets.

"These goals are largely obviated by News Corp.'s recent incorporation in the U.S.," he said. Another reason for such a move is that Fox shares tend to trade at a significant discount to News Corp. shares, a pattern that has been consistent since Fox was spun off from News in 1998.

-- Independent film studio Lions Gate Entertainment (LGF: news, chart, profile) will be purchased, with possible suitors including Time Warner, NBC Universal, Fox and Viacom, said Mirsky. "With MGM sold, Lions Gate is the last large, independent film library remaining," he said. Its film and television library includes more than 8,000 titles.

NBC Universal, in the analyst's view, will become a bigger player than it has been since NBC's acquisition of Vivendi's (V: news, chart, profile) film and television assets closed in mid-2003.

With the powerful financial backing of parent General Electric (GE: news, chart, profile), he said, NBC Universal could potentially acquire content, though buys of Cablevision's Rainbow Media cable networks or John Malone's Discovery Networks, as well as distribution assets, such as No. 2 satellite provider EchoStar Communications (DISH: news, chart, profile). "We would not be completely surprised to see an NBC-Universal IPO in the near future, either," Mirsky said.

-- Also, speaking of EchoStar, Eagan is convinced that the company, led by its mercurial chairman, Charlie Ergen, will buy Cablevision's Voom satellite for between $125 million and $175 million.

Cablevision (CVC: news, chart, profile) said last month that its planned spinoff of Rainbow Media Enterprises - which includes Voom, cable networks AMC, Women's Entertainment and the Independent Film Channel; and the company's Clearview Cinemas unit -- has been postponed for the third time this year.

The reality may be, said Eagan, that Cablevision has decided to sell the satellite, and Voom's current orbital slot complements EchoStar's existing orbital locations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts