Rainbow Spin-off is dead

Sean Mota said:
guys, personal attacks are out of the question. Please keep civil.

Sean, Thank you for the intervention. I agree, enough is enough.

fredfa posted this at AVS:

Despite all the comments about quality of VOOM’s service (Or D*’s or E*s or cable or the intelligence of market analysts), here is the rather simple reason (no one ever mentions) that Cablevision has to sell VOOM – and fairly quickly:

(from Broadcasting & Cable)
Cablevision will likely have to spin-off, shutter, or reconfigure VOOM! at some point if it wants to keep its key New York City cable franchise. It cannot own both a cable system and the land-based distribution licenses, which are currently tied to VOOM!

And with the spinoff possibility now gone, (and the obvious steep cost to Cablevision stock if it announced plans to spend any money to reconfigure VOOM), a sale is the only remaining possibility.
Let's hope Charlie moves quickly.
And one would have to assume he will, to get VOOM in place on E* before the new D* satellites become operational.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=4853962#post4853962

Guys with all due respect about Microsoft: I don't know if investors will have the stomach for it. They are not in the distribution business. It would be like going into the PC Production business for them.

Paul Allen has taken a bath on Charter and RCN over the past few years. In fact he is currently focused on cable and convinced that that is the superior content delivery platform.

Think about it what reason would Microsoft want to get in the satellite business? They cant deliver XBOX Live, Can't deliver IP services like voice.

Years ago microsoft was going to launch a constellation of satellites to provide broadband but decided it was not profitable or needed. Landlines and wireless cover the US fine and it was a non-core business to get involved in.

bruce said:
fredfa posted this at AVS:

Despite all the comments about quality of VOOM’s service (Or D*’s or E*s or cable or the intelligence of market analysts), here is the rather simple reason (no one ever mentions) that Cablevision has to sell VOOM – and fairly quickly:

I totally agree. Cablevision's statement in its press release to abandon the spinoff says that it is pursuing other strategic alternatives. As an economist who studies various industries, it is clear to me that this means that they are going to sell or liquidate the business

Cablevision scraps satellite TV spinoff plan
Investors applaud Cablevision's move to suspend the venture and seek 'strategic alternatives' instead

BY JAMES BERNSTEIN
STAFF WRITER

December 22, 2004

Cablevision Systems Corp. yesterday said it will suspend plans to spin off its troubled nationwide satellite television service, increasing the chances the venture will be sold.

The Bethpage-based company, the largest cable television operator in the New York area, said in a brief filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that instead it will seek "strategic alternatives" for its Rainbow Media Enterprises, the business unit that contains its Voom satellite service and three cable networks. Analysts say that usually means a company is looking to sell a business or bring in a partner. A Cablevision spokesman said the company would not comment further.

Investors cheered the move, sending Cablevision's stock up 14 percent, or $3.18, to close at $25.29, in heavy trading. Analysts also applauded, saying they saw little chance of Cablevision's making any money in the satellite TV business that is dominated by DirecTV Group Inc. and Echo Star Communications Corp.

DirecTV and Echo Star have been in the business for more than a decade and each has millions of subscribers. In comparison, Voom had about 26,000 customers as of Sept. 30. Since Voom was launched in October 2003, one of every three customers it signed up eventually dropped the service.

"It was a poorly thought out product offered years late to the market," said Bob Scherman, editor and publisher of Satellite Business News, a trade publication. "Chuck Dolan is a smart guy and he's somewhat of a legend in the business," Scherman said, referring to Cablevision's founder and chairman, Charles Dolan. "But no one could figure out any rationale or business sense" for the satellite operation.

Cablevision's Rainbow DBS unit, which operates Voom, posted sales of $5.9 million, and an operating loss of $75.3 million, in the third quarter.

In a note to clients that typified much of the reaction on Wall Street, Craig E. Moffett, who follows the cable industry for Sanford C. Bernstein & Co., said he was "delighted to see Cablevision's announcement," which he called "welcome news."

Industry experts said that Echo Star, which runs Dish Network, might be a likely buyer of Voom. Steve Caulk, a company spokesman, declined to comment. Dolan has made efforts to persuade media baron Rupert Murdoch to become a partner with the Dolans in Voom, but has had little success. Murdoch's News Corp. has a 34 percent stake of DirecTV, which has 13.5 million satellite subscribers. Echo Star has about 10.4 million customers.

If a buyer cannot be found, analysts said, Cablevision may wind up selling just Voom's assets, which include its customer list, one satellite that was launched last year, and federal licenses to operate.

"Getting rid of Voom would probably be the most significant thing Cablevision could do," said Richard Greenfield, an analyst at Fulcrum Global Partners in Manhattan.

Cablevision's announcement came after the company had twice delayed the spinoff.

If the spinoff had occurred, Charles Dolan would have become chairman of a new company to be called Rainbow Media Enterprises. His son, Thomas, would have been the chief executive of the company, which would have owned the several cable channels and 21 high-definition networks.

andrzej said:
Is anybody home and can confirm that Voom service has been suspended (as said on the cynopsis website)? :shocked :shocked :shocked

Voom is still available. :)

andrzej said:
Is anybody home and can confirm that Voom service has been suspended (as said on the cynopsis website)? :shocked :shocked :shocked

Though the site quoted above does say this, it seems to be entirely based on the Cablevision filing which says they are suspending *the spinoff* not the service... sigh! These are two VERY different things. Rumors, rumors!

CDH.

CDH said:
Though the site quoted above does say this, it seems to be entirely based on the Cablevision filing which says they are suspending *the spinoff* not the service... sigh! These are two VERY different things. Rumors, rumors!

CDH.

Hey! I am not spreading a rumor, I am asking a question.
I do not know this author and I thought someone in this forum would have heard of her.
She is obviously read by station managers and sales people in the industry.
I had no comment on the articles validity.

Is it over for Voom? I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE

Damnit if they go under I will be really sad, the only place to go (and if it has to be, maybe they will buy Voom) is E* for me...but I really don't want to hop over to 10 HD channels, channels like MonstersHD (unless Rainbow sells the channel to providers) just won't exist ever again. :( :( :( :( :(

After all the shots we took at each other Dvlos, let me give you a big hug......and a big :neener

Just kidding.. Let me know if you want a Dish Club Card :D

There are those that have knowledge on just the news coming from the wire and this is where you will find all the speculations.

There are those that have some glimpses of "inside information" but are not sure what it means and will remain silence while everything is sorted out.

There are those that are not linked to the "inside information" but indications of various moves by the companies leads them to beleive that this is not over.

There are those that know what's going on and will never post here or go public but will let time decide.

So hold your horses. It is not over till is over. The panic moves are made only by naysayers. See you in CES 2005...good news coming...by then... :D

Sean Mota said:
Not really. If you knew what most of the staff knows here. You would not panic and say it is business as usual. :D

Oh if only I had contacts at or with Voom. Too bad I'm stuck with DirecTV contacts. Now its time for me to go and cry myself to sleep, feel sorry for myself, get depressed and shoot my foot off because I get drunk. Sadly to say I did this once but only once. At least I got rid of my gun because guns don't kill people drunk dumb depressed people kill themselves right.

Voom shut down

My HD Site in Milwaukee says Voom has shut down, is this true?
Jerbear

Kentstater72 said:
FYI
Does anyone know who this person is?
She apparently is connected to the television industry.
It appears to be very final.

http://www.cynopsis.com/view_cynopsis_text.cfm?ID=1500

I sent her an e-mail asking for clarification (and pointing out that she was the only one reporting Voom's suspension of service. Here is what she said...

I should have been clearer -- they are suspending the spinoff of the Voom Satellite Service called Rainbow Media Enterprises, which includes the other cable nets as well, not the service itself. Thanks for pointing it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)