Rainbow Spin-off is dead

Echostar has more of a reason to buy VOOM that DIRECTV. DIRECTV has already spent billions of dollars on the Spaceway satellites. The Spaceway satellites should give them a ton of new capacity (perhaps enough to deliver LIL HD to all markets in the US).

Echostar has secured a lot of new satellite slots, but only 3 satellites (two just launched and one more going up early next year) are near ready. With VOOM they gain more transponders on 61.5 which they already have the capacity to mirror on 148, plus the VOOM satellite is filled with spots that they could perhaps use to provide LIL HD to 20 or so markets. This combined with the other three satellites Dish is about to have available could allow Dish to at least keep up with DIRECTV in LIL HD delivery for the top markets. Dish would have to quickly build and launch more satellites to keep up with DIRECTV to do every market in the US with HD.

The number of customers VOOM has is not valuable. The satellite slots, satellite, and uplink center are the value.

The 61.5 slot might not be worth that much now since the FCC locked D* and E* from bidding on the last two transponders there, they could say the same about Vooms slots, who knows.

bruce said:
What I am trying to say here is Voom is lying down and taking it, they need to speak up ,get some positive press if they are going to stick to this, how many new subs will they get after this, who wants to sign up when the lights could be out at any time, and that is what they are reading, not Voom plans on being around for the future.

If they are done (sell,close,etc) they should be quiet, you are right about that.

Bruce,

corporate america does not work that way. Sorry but you need to learn more about their business mentality. Always silence is the best medicine. I used to work for one the top 5 accounting firms in the country. The firm had all sort of clients -- big, small. You name it. Whenever there were audits done and something came out negative in the public eye, the accounting firm first line of defense was never to go public and say something that you may regret later on. Sorry Bruce but that's how corporate america works -- lawyers and accountants. It's not your small neighborhood store. They have a name to protect (if you know what I mean ;) ) not the grocery or furniture store around the corner. :)

P.S. we as customer do not like it and would like it to be the way Bruce has presented it but you know it ain't going to happen that way. There's too much at stake for CVC or any company to be make a bold move like that.

I do know how corporate america works ,its dumb ,and it is not working for Voom, that's why they should try to be different.

Businesses are bought and sold every day in this great country. If Voom's parent company sells, someone will offer enough to take Voom and run with it. I think we all
agree, the potential for Voom is tremendous and growing with each HD set sold. I guess DISH would likely pick it up and probably continue to grow the system, to attract customers and turn a profit. DISH already has some of the satellite power Voom needs and more satellites are scheduled. This would really give DISH the jump on DirecTV and be a major coup for them. Makes a lot of sense.

No, I believe, Voom will evolve and should have better service and value because of it.
Voom may be around for a long time, with different owners behind the service.

bruce said:
They are not talking, which I think means a lot.

Now, everyone keeps saying E* will buy them, D* will buy them, etc,etc.
Why would they buy V*, what good will it do, what reason would they have?

D* has Spaceway, they seem to have their plans set.

E* just launched a bird, they already have another up there in testing and I believe another in a few months, the only thing we do not know is the plan for these birds (they say everything from broadband to HD) ,and I am starting to wonder if E* really knows what is going on.

Did not the FCC say something about who could use the last 2 transponders at 61.5, and I believe they said that D* and E* could not have them because they have birds that reach all 50 states, that makes that slot less useful and the FCC might say no anyways to D* and E*.

I think it would make more sense for both D* and E*(and any one else) to wait for V* to go into bankruptcy ( if it happens), and then for very cheap, buy the assets.
Your propaganda did nothing to address my questions here at the VOOM Forum. I want to change my vote to Boo.

mike123abc said:
Echostar has more of a reason to buy VOOM that DIRECTV. DIRECTV has already spent billions of dollars on the Spaceway satellites. The Spaceway satellites should give them a ton of new capacity (perhaps enough to deliver LIL HD to all markets in the US).

Echostar has secured a lot of new satellite slots, but only 3 satellites (two just launched and one more going up early next year) are near ready. With VOOM they gain more transponders on 61.5 which they already have the capacity to mirror on 148, plus the VOOM satellite is filled with spots that they could perhaps use to provide LIL HD to 20 or so markets. This combined with the other three satellites Dish is about to have available could allow Dish to at least keep up with DIRECTV in LIL HD delivery for the top markets. Dish would have to quickly build and launch more satellites to keep up with DIRECTV to do every market in the US with HD.

The number of customers VOOM has is not valuable. The satellite slots, satellite, and uplink center are the value.

This is from 10-02-04:

ECHOSTAR SATELLITE LLC. Granted EchoStar Satellite LLC Authority to
Construct, Launch and Operate a Geostationary-Satellite Orbit Satellite
in the Fixed-Satellite Service Using the Extended Ku-Band Frequencies at
the 109,83,121 Degree W.L. Orbital Locations.

These are different then the ones that just went up (2) and the one that will be going up in a few months, the only problem is, no one knows what E*'s plans are with the new birds, unlike D*, who seems to have a plan with their Spaceway birds,E* right now (and I have E*) seems to be a company run like a chicken without a head, running all over the place, AMC-15 and AMC-16 both that just went up, E* has said can be used for everything from broadband to HD, they just don't know which yet, great business plan.

riffjim4069 said:
Your propaganda did nothing to address my questions here at the VOOM Forum. I want to change my vote to Boo.

What propaganda, dude don't be pissed at me because this is happening, just because a company starts a DBS service does not mean it will be a success, just look at Alpha Star, Prime Star, and others, Voom is the one with the piss poor business plan, on the other side I have E* and everyday I am amazed that they have 10 million subs, with all the problems they have and lately, not much of a plan for the future (we will launch satellites then later decide how to use them).

Now, in a different matter, Microsoft buying Voom, why would they, everyone keeps reporting that E* needs a big partner to counter D*'s plans, why not go after E* then?

I would love Microsoft to buy Voom(no flaming please)and put their money behind it.

I love VOOM.

Here's good one:
Walmart should buy Voom if they want to achieve their goal of taking 30% of profit in every industry.

This topic is so stupid and full of speculations based on a double cheeseburger from McDonalds. Admin, please lock it and save us.
I don't know will Voom fail or not but I do know that with Voom I have more HD and SD channels I watch than with Dish or DirecTV for less money.

Conjuror said:
Here's good one:

This topic is so stupid and full of speculations based on a double cheeseburger from McDonalds. Admin, please lock it and save us.

Conjuror, this will be the longest most speculative thread ever on this forum. Why? Because in case you didn't hear, Cabelvision is selling Voom. I'd say that is pretty big news. I need to know wether or not I'll be able to watch the Super Bowl in HD come February, I need to know every rumor surrounding this. We all need to know. This announcement will effect wether or not this forum even exists in 6 months. I'd say that is worthy of some speculation and time.

Now as far as all this who buys what. I don't think Voom is big enough for someone like Microsoft to buy as is and just run with it, they will make drastic changes. If Microsoft buys Voom do you think they want their named linked to a company that just went under. No, they'll take over the birds start a company called MicroTV and take on D* and E* the right way. Meanwhile the 20,000 of us will only be using our Voom boxes as a frisbee.
But some of you are right their is a chance their is another company out there that will buy Voom as is so that we can keep our precious HD and then they can loose a few hundred million.

:( What are you gonna do. Such is life, the good guy rarely wins.
I know from now on when I go home to watch Sportscenter in HD I appreciate it just a little more.

bruce said:
What propaganda, dude don't be pissed at me because this is happening, just because a company starts a DBS service does not mean it will be a success, just look at Alpha Star, Prime Star, and others, Voom is the one with the piss poor business plan, on the other side I have E* and everyday I am amazed that they have 10 million subs, with all the problems they have and lately, not much of a plan for the future (we will launch satellites then later decide how to use them).

Now, in a different matter, Microsoft buying Voom, why would they, everyone keeps reporting that E* needs a big partner to counter D*'s plans, why not go after E* then?
Boo you are continually on this V* forum, and I know Ive asked before, but why?? And I am not asking because there is so much speculation about Voom lately, Ive asked before. But if you dont have Voom what motivation do you have to trash it every day? Are you some sort of paid Rupert troll??? All I've seen you post is "Voom is doomed and D* is giving away free HD recievers" As for me I would look forward to E* buying Voom just as long as I am not subjected to your posts anymore.

dnyce said:
Meanwhile the 20,000 of us will only be using our Voom boxes as a frisbee.

dnyce, did you make a mistake of buying your Voom box? If you are leasing it may become a free frisbee. No biggy I would say.

I agree with many here that this whole tread is just one big crap of somewhat pointless speculation and nothing else. :)

The only reason Voom has held on this long was talks with Echostar were going on. But that all ended last July when Dolan and Charlie could not come to terms for a purchase by Echostar. I believe Charlie decided to take a pass and pick the pieces once the assets hit the auction block in a couple of months. So with that bit of bad news Voom either finds another buyer or the Voom service and programming is history. Just like the first pioneer of HD DBS companies Unity Motion. Remember that name from 10 years ago?

Indy said:
The only reason Voom has held on this long was talks with Echostar were going on. But that all ended last July when Dolan and Charlie could not come to terms for a purchase by Echostar. I believe Charlie decided to take a pass and pick the pieces once the assets hit the auction block in a couple of months. So with that bit of bad news Voom either finds another buyer or the Voom service and programming is history. Just like the first pioneer of HD DBS companies Unity Motion. Remember that name from 10 years ago?

Indy, How do you know that Voom was talking with Dish? Do you have inside info that you could share? Or are you just guessing. :D

boatman said:
Indy, How do you know that Voom was talking with Dish? Do you have inside info that you could share? Or are you just guessing. :D

The talks have been common knowledge to what I have heard. I do have an acquaintance who is an administrative assistant to a Executive Vice President at Echostar. He has told me of the talks. You can call Dish and talk to a technical support CSR in Littleton Colorado and he or she are aware of the talks.

Indy said:
You can call Dish and talk to a technical support CSR in Littleton Colorado and he or she are aware of the talks.

That's very funny Indy. Calling technical support to get a reliable insight into confidential strategic talks of a corporation. ;)

andrzej said:
That's very funny Indy. Calling technical support to get a reliable insight into confidential strategic talks of a corporation. ;)

HA!! You think that's funny? You ought to see your size 12's wiggling out your rear trying to follow your head up your ass! Now that's funny! :yes Your bashing of my responses has grown very old. I have tried to keep my posts on subject to the thread content, but enough is enough! So with that said you can stick that where the sun does not shine too! :shocked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts