Rainbow Spin-off is dead

Indy said:
What Voom needed to do BEFORE the Christmas season was partner with a company to offer both a HD STB and a 34" wide screen display like Dish did. What is killing them is the service is TOO HD specific for anyone without a wide screen 16:9 display. If Voom had the offer like Dish has going with the whole HD in a box deal I am sure people would flock to the service with a $800 to $1000 investment and a 2 year contract to VaVaVoom. Beter yet put the equipment purchase on a monthly payoff for 6 months. Just a thought.
Oh look, all Voom had to do was listen to Indy.:rolleyes:

There are too many possitive announcements coming from VOOM: 70 HD channels by 3/2005, HDCinema re-structuring, Eurobasket/JR Hockey in WorldSports, etc. It sounds to me like Cablevision must have've figure out a way to make VOOM viable (maybe a co-investor with big pockets). It just doesn't sound like they're cancelling the service.

I could totally see Microsoft merging with Voom. Bill Gates has wanted to get into television for a long time. They have had a few failed attempts in certain areas over the years. They decided to push hard again with WM9. If I recall, Voom was one of the first to decide to support WM9 for DBS services.

I've also heard rumors of Microsoft getting back into set-top boxes, leveraging the Xbox platform to get into people's living rooms. They now have extender software for the Xbox to turn it into a remote DVR for use with a Windows Media Center PC (similar to the client/server DVR Voom has been promising).

I can just see it now. Microsoft merges with Voom and we end up with an Xbox 2 that also functions as a Voom receiver and a client/server HD DVR. As long as the price is right, I'm game. I definitely don't want to lose Voom.

VOOM's Future

For those of us who want to speculate, I would emphasize that VOOM lost $212 million in the first nine months this year. If the run rate remains the same for Q4, the total for the year will be close to $300 million. Pretty soon that gets to be real money (as Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen once quipped)!

Also, I don't know of any failing company that ever admitted publicly it was failing or had an unsustainable business model where possible sale is an alternative. Comments like that would result in a fire sale atmosphere.

Consistent with the above, you would not make any statements to cause a run on the bank, i.e. attrition of subscribers, and reduce the sale value. Also, as long as your going to keep operating, you want to retain the subscribers to help defray the costs.

So, I am going to stick my neck out, I predict that no matter what, VOOM will not survive as an independent, standalone sattelite service.

That said, I join with those who said it's great while it lasts and I intend to continue to enjoy it.

Martin21

Microsoft may invest in the Voom venture, but I doubt they will take over. They are very good and convervative about what they can and will do. Actually, I am not sure partnering with Microsoft is really a good thing because they make a very quick decision to pull out if things do not look good.

I don't think the customer base wouldn't be worth that much. So, it has to be their bandwidths and the contents they have. Those have to be valuable to other service providers... Echostar seems to be the right fit, but at what price?

Hong.

While I'd like to see Voom succeed, it really makes no financial difference to me. I signed up for the $1 install, and it all went generally well (can't get CBS in Nashville b/c that station is only broadcasting at 1/2 power until they're forced to move from the 56 slot next year or so). The content is good, and my wife loves Equator, while some of the SD is a bit flaky. But at basically the same price as I was paying for Comcast I got about 10x the HD (I don't subscribe the HBO, etc.). If they take a dump, I'm not out anything, I'll just remove the Dish from the side of the house, call Comcast back up and get their dual tuner HD-DVR.

From a business standpoint I cannot see MS or Disney or anyone else interested in plunking down $300M/yr. to blaze a new trail. More likely, if there is some sort of partnership, JV, whatever, it will be for the satellites/transponder property, and it will be one of the existing DBS.

bruce said:
I posted on this before, does anyone know if this has anything to do with the cancel of the spin-off:

"Cablevision recently disclosed in a public filing that the spinoff of Rainbow Media, which includes the three cable networks and high-def satcaster Voom, would be delayed into 2005 as it undergoes an 18-month-long SEC probe into its accounting practices."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...inbow_stripes_1
I know you have posted this before several times on several forums and in several threads. Give it up already.

mangombia said:
While I'd like to see Voom succeed, it really makes no financial difference to me. I signed up for the $1 install, and it all went generally well

I like others committed to VOOM early and purchased my box as it was the only option last Dec. Then I like others declined transferring to the lease deal because I was told I would lose charter member status and thereby lose the "special program for charter members" whereby we were supposed to be able to trade our boxes in for the soon-to-be-released DVR box for some nominal fee. I honestly feel quite betrayed by VOOM's inability to operate their business. Their failure lies entirely on them. Poor marketing, poor execution, poor customer service, etc.... I mean - how bad do you have to be to be losing customers in a dramatically expanding market...

vurbano said:
I know you have posted this before several times on several forums and in several threads. Give it up already.

Just asking a question, you were just so helpful, thanks :p

Or...

As long as we're rampantly speculating...

How about a new player, a consortium led by Dolan's nemesis, Mark Cuban, making a bid for Voom and then turning it into what the technophiles among us really think a content provider should be.

I'm sure Cuban would *love* to pick up Dolan's scraps for pennies on the dollar and turn it into a winner. Sure, Cuban's not into bleeding cash, but maybe he could be convinced by the promise of a new reality show to choose the CEO. ;)

Voom For Sale???

"AP
Cablevision May Sell Satellite TV Unit
Dec ember 21, 2004 3:29 PM ET

By SETH SUTEL

NEW YORK (AP) - Cablevision Systems Corp., a Long Island-based cable TV provider, said Tuesday it is suspending plans for a spinoff of its money-losing satellite broadcasting business and will put the unit on the market instead.

The high-definition satellite venture, which is marketed under the brand name VOOM, has had a tough start since being launched more than a year ago and has been a source of major concern among Cablevision's investors.

... "

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=AP&Date=20041221&ID=4158182&Symbol=US:DISH

This is so unclear right now that nobody knows in which direction this whole thing will spin.

Source

Given all the changes in the past, Cablevision's intentions for Voom are still unclear. Though most analysts viewed the canceled spinoff as a big plus, at least one analyst, Katherine Styponias of Prudential, warns against premature cheer. In a worst case scenario, management might choose to hold onto Voom and continue funding the venture's losses, she said.

This is the only analyst who has head on her shoulder. She is willing to admit that it is not clear where things are heading even though her counterparts are chearing for a sale out. Funny!

Sean Mota said:
This is so unclear right now that nobody knows in which direction this whole thing will spin.

Source

This is the only analyst who has head on her shoulder. She is willing to admit that it is not clear where things are heading even though her counterparts are chearing for a sale out. Funny!

While she did say things are not clear, even she was not too hopeful for Voom:

In a worst case scenario, management might choose to hold onto Voom and continue funding the venture's losses, she said.

Cablevision's stock went up a little over $2.00 since the annoucement to cut Voom. I love Voom, but it looks like they made the right decision for their stock holders. And come the end of that day that's what it's all about. Not how many HD channels we get and from whom, but money.

And for you optimists out there what makes you think "strategic alternatives" means they will sell Voom as it is. Voom is nothing but a brand name and some satellite's in space. Voom as we know it will no longer exist. But then again I am a glass is empty kind of guy. Either way, we win in the end. 10 years from now people will look back at Voom and remember them as the company that pioneered HD television. We are the few and the brave that will help shape the future of television. Cabelvision had a great vision and despite unsurmountable odds did their best. D* saw the challenge that Voom brought and met it. If they live up to their promise, we will all be there enjoying dozens of HD channels and great PQ (hopefully) thanks to the little annoying company that woke everyone up....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)