Rainbow Spin-off is dead

Here is a link to Microsoft's TV Products:

http://www.microsoft.com/tv/default.mspx

Not to mention that they would want to showcase their WM9 compression on HD.

Infact the more I look at that site, the more I think Microsoft would be the best canidate for Voom. But I am probably running away with myself over the possibilities :D

Whatever your feelings may be. Please do not result in personal attacks on this thread. All those who we consider to be posting comments not related to the thread will be deleted. Please keep on topic.

A voom/microsoft partnership would rule.... They would find a way to make a multi-tuner card for HTPC's and integrate it to MCE2005.... That would be awesome.

Microsoft wants in on the Home market and since xbox, tv is the next logical step.

yanks2402 said:
Here is a link to Microsoft's TV Products:

http://www.microsoft.com/tv/default.mspx

Not to mention that they would want to showcase their WM9 compression on HD.

Infact the more I look at that site, the more I think Microsoft would be the best canidate for Voom. But I am probably running away with myself over the possibilities :D

I was thinking the same. Bill Gates has the financial backing and the time to make Voom work and give him the television network he has always wanted. From what I remember the home theater in the mansion he built a few years back ran into the millions of dollars. So I would say the man has a interest in good video reproduction!

Indy said:
What Voom needed to do BEFORE the Christmas season was partner with a company to offer both a HD STB and a 34" wide screen display like Dish did. What is killing them is the service is TOO HD specific for anyone without a wide screen 16:9 display. If Voom had the offer like Dish has going with the whole HD in a box deal I am sure people would flock to the service with a $800 to $1000 investment and a 2 year contract to VaVaVoom. Beter yet put the equipment purchase on a monthly payoff for 6 months. Just a thought.

I think that this is a terrible idea, and I would never sign up for a "deal" like this. I have invested $0.00 in Voom, and no commitment, and I love it that way. Anyway, Indy, your countdown is now close to zero so why you even bother thinking about the future of Voom with M$soft. According to you Voom is doomed.

andrzej said:
I think that this is a terrible idea, and I would never sign up for a "deal" like this. I have invested $0.00 in Voom, and no commitment, and I love it that way. Anyway, Indy, your countdown is now close to zero so why you even bother thinking about the future of Voom with M$soft. According to you Voom is doomed.

And once again I thank you for your compliments and input. :)

Hi:
Why would microsoft or disney want to buy VOOM? Other than the satellites what value is there? The installation infrastructure? Their unique knowledge regarding OTA installations? The box technology? The value of the name brand VOOM?

The cancellation of the spinoff is good news in that the egos of the people involved will cause them to keep VOOM running a lot longer than they should. I think that when all is said and done VOOM will have spent over 100K for each person who ever subscribed to VOOM.

I hope the end is not near because the other alternative is to go back to dtv with my tail tucked between my legs. When I cancelled dtv to go with voom, they offered me everything under the sun to try and get me to stay. I turned it all down. There's no way I would be able to get what they had offered me if I call them back to resubscribe.

It looks real good for Charlie to buy Voom on the cheap now.

And now as soon as they have a DVR, this D* Fan/2nd place winner of Voom Basher of the year award is really looking forward to becoming a Voom/Echo customer!

Excerpt from DJ news article today:
"We think Cablevision has decided that the Voom satellite TV platform does not have much of a future and that it should be sold," said Thomas Eagan, analyst at Oppenheimer. Investors apparently felt the same way, sending shares of Cablevision up 10% in recent trading, to $24.30
EchoStar Communications Corp. (DISH) is seen as the most likely buyer.
Currently the number-two satellite TV provider, the company has been under
pressure to add transmission capacity, especially since rival DirecTV Group
Inc.(DTV) announced plans to put four more satellites into space.
With no other visible buyers, EchoStar should be able to get a great price on Voom's assets, Richard Greenfield, analyst at Fulcrum Global Partners said in a note.

This is going to make the CES show in Vegas very interesting.
I know Scott is going, but who else will be there?

I am going to be using the feedback from the show to determine if I stay with Voom.
I will be looking to hear if they have moved forward on the DVR, are they introducing new stuff, is their display just out of mothballs from Indianapolis or have they spent the dollars to prepare for Vegas.

I'm the guy that kept bringing up Voom's deal with CBS, and I can tell you right now that if they are not rolling out a new solution for Network HD at the show, something is falling apart at the seams. Deals were made.

I want Voom to succeed, or to partner with someone that can accomplish the commercialization of HD service. I am finding though that I am watching less and less Voom as I become more and more addicted to the HD DVR from my cable service. Only a real functional DVR at the show will give me the hope I need to continue waiting.

Good luck to Voom

Does anyone know where VOOM's booth with be at CES?

I got the book yesterday with the complete exhibitor listing, but VOOM was not listed as an exibitor at all.

Scott Greczkowski said:

I got the book yesterday with the complete exhibitor listing, but VOOM was not listed as an exibitor at all.

They'll be standing right next to the funny looking guy from Colorado with the big ears. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Booth 26103 (Hall South 2).

I posted on this before, does anyone know if this has anything to do with the cancel of the spin-off:

"Cablevision recently disclosed in a public filing that the spinoff of Rainbow Media, which includes the three cable networks and high-def satcaster Voom, would be delayed into 2005 as it undergoes an 18-month-long SEC probe into its accounting practices."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...inbow_stripes_1

It swings both ways. Now think about it guys just a few weeks ago Voom announces 70 HD channels by March and more SD as well. Why would they do this if they didn't have a firm fix on their near future with capital to burn from someplace. I agree that there is a sugardaddy in the wings. It might me Micky or it could be Billy. I would bet on Billy and would be happy if it was true. But in either case, it is a little early to start burning the messenger. You have to take these things in total. The march to HD is going to continue. Their current commercial is more on the mark than they have been in a long time. Can't wait to see the numbers. HD sets are flying of fthe shelves and buyers are just figuring out that they need HD softeware suppliers. I think VOOm or whoever takes then on will still be on the ground floor of something great and it will be cheap at the current price they pay.

Sean Mota said:
source

Maybe the end is near (as the naysayers say so much...). They really have a crystal ball which they borrowed from the "wall street" experts :) In reality, at this point it could mean a sell out or it could mean that they cannot afford to spin it off because the new company will not be able to sustain itself. I won't say statements like "Voom is dead" without backing it up with "inside information" which no one has, except VOOM/Rainbow. As a lot of us have said before, time will only tell whether VOOM will be sold or will survive.

As of today, there is a still signal being broadcasted so they are still in business. Until the day that the signal goes off the air, they will still be in business whether you like it or not. Of course, I invested $0 on it and got what I think ,a lot from it and I am still getting a whole lot from it today.
excellent post