Ran out of money, can not afford DISH. Best options here?

I would cancel service if you're out of contract, but if still on contract then put it on pause, unless you don't owe much for ETF on your remaining contract, and if you have enough funds to get out of that contract.

I can post an update to this thread. I have DISH on a prepaid type of service it seems. Originally I only intended to have DISH for a few months. My apartment complex is being torn down and they tore down the building with all the CATV equipment first. The landlord said they had absolutely no objections to satellite TV though and would not object any installs. I bought a 922 and a Dish 1000.2 outright, installed it myself, and intended to flip the whole system in a few months when I was forced to move. That means when I signed up for DISH I didn't get any new customer promos except for some free premiums since I didn't (couldn't) sign up for a contract.

That was back in January I think. For some reason, my building's sale did not go through and so the landlord has retained it to operate as a single apartment building. The rent is very low for the area so I'd like to stay here.

So like I said before, it was shut off (The Dish Service) on June 17th but I was able to hook up OTA, and watched some free previews such as Fox Business News. Finally a few days ago I re-eavaluated my finances and decided I could afford another month. Keep in mind here that I have basically zero other entertainment budget at all. I don't go out to eat or to movies or anything like that right now. I was able to confirm with 2 DISH staff members, that if I paid my bill, I would get 30 days more of service and that is because this is some kind of pre paid service.

That was my main concern before and it was resolved. Most of my current cash flow problem has to do with the fact that I am trying to sell a business which I can no longer operate by myself in a full capacity, so I am taking some personal losses on the ongoing liabilities of the business. Fortunately there are interested buyers, so once I can finally sell the business I'll be in the black again.

The situation would have been completely different with a contract I think which may be a post paid deal. The only satellite contract I can recall being involved in was when I was living at home back in 2002 and my parents decided to get the Dish Home Advantage? Or something like that, where you rented the stuff, and I think it was a post paid deal.

Hope it all works out, and appreciate the update. Seems not being in contract has worked out.

Somewhat unfortunate update to this. I was lied to in the first chat, or at the least mislead. They wanted to charge me another full bill and it was due on the 16th or I would be shut off again. This is the chat I had earlier this month.

(removed) (ID: A0I): Hi, my name is (removed) (ID: A0I). How may I help you?
Michael Richardson: hello, my service is disconnected right now, I was wondering if I restart the service, does that change the billing date to today?
Michael Richardson: for next month
(removed) (ID: A0I): No, it will still eb the same
Michael Richardson: that does not seem fair, the billing date was on the 18th
Michael Richardson: that means if I pay now I only get 18 days of service
Michael Richardson: but I am pay full price
(removed) (ID: A0I): Please be reminded that you are still getting the service that you
are paying.
(removed) (ID: A0I): It is prorated.
Michael Richardson: uhh, no, the site wants me to pay for a full month
(removed) (ID: A0I): Yes, that is because your service is disconnected.
Michael Richardson: I know it is disconnected
Michael Richardson: my question is, if I pay that full amount now
Michael Richardson: do I get 1 month of service
Michael Richardson: or 18 days
(removed) (ID: A0I): 1 month.

Emphasis added at the end. The chat lead me to believe that if I paid them on that day I would get a month of service. I think that's fair since they actually shut off the service last month. How could I pay for some service that I could not view?

I opened up another chat today and it was explained to me differently. I accepted their new explanation and rebutted that I had been mislead. I presented the old chat and got a $30 credit. I pressed a bit more and got a month of free Showtime, which more than covers the $38 or so I figured for the 2 weeks.

Anyway, I don't expect any more financial problems going forward, I learned a bit about DISH's billing, and got a month of free Showtime, so I'll call it a good experience overall. I can also give a big thumbs up to their chat support. None of the other TV providers I have dealt with (AT&T and Comcast, don't know about DirecTV) offer chat and it's a lot more convenient for me.

I disagree, I think it's much much more than 60 days. I had not been a customer in 2 years 5 months, and when I moved, wanted to start service again. They claimed I was an existing customer and would not give me the new customer deals. I called back and talked to 2-3 CSR's, each with the same story. I eventually went with uverse because of that.....this is a good question that I'd love to know the exact answer to...not to derail the thread.

Dish continues to reduce the time length that "resets" allowing people to get the new customer deals after canceling. It used to be "never", like you encountered. Last I knew it was in the 60-90 day range. I've seen one of those numbers confirmed by one of the DIRT group too. Also, Scherrman is a Dish retailer so his information should be accurate....

I had Dish many years ago but left because they couldn't provide an HD-DVR (for a reasonable cost). The only option was the 921 and it would have cost me $999. I actually tried to work with the "executive office" but there was little they could do and they understand why I left. I told them I'll come back as soon as something reasonable is available and they said they noted my account to offer me new customer offers as a "returning DHA customer" or something. When the 622 became available, my 2-year promotion with Time Warner was almost done, and I returned and got the same deals as a brand-new customer.

I disagree, I think it's much much more than 60 days. I had not been a customer in 2 years 5 months, and when I moved, wanted to start service again. They claimed I was an existing customer and would not give me the new customer deals. I called back and talked to 2-3 CSR's, each with the same story. I eventually went with uverse because of that.....this is a good question that I'd love to know the exact answer to...not to derail the thread.

Trust me, it's 60 days. You must have had something wrong with your previous account or you need to talk to another CSR at Dish.

It sounds like he spoke to up to (4) already ! There's a limit to CSR Roulette....

If he was without Dish for over two years and could not sign back up to get the new customer promos then there is a problem. There must be a problem with his past account or Dish is still showing an account at his address.

It was 90 days for a long time. When did it change to 60? I very rarely look at the dish portal anymore.

It was 90 days for a long time. When did it change to 60? I very rarely look at the dish portal anymore.

You're right, it was 90 days for years and then changed to 60 within the last year. I'm not sure exactly since I don't think Dish ever sent out a statement to retailers. I had to hear about it first through DIRT here.

I found it on the dha form under sub eligibility.

60.JPG

You're right, it was 90 days for years....
At one time, wasn't it "once a customer, always a customer" and you were never eligible for new-customer-deals ? It was even a case of (3) variables: name, address, social security #. You could have Dish, cancel, move, and when you tried to sign up, they'd get a match on your SS # and deny the offers. People had to sign up in their spouse's maiden name and jump through hoops....

At one time, wasn't it "once a customer, always a customer" and you were never eligible for new-customer-deals ? It was even a case of (3) variables: name, address, social security #. You could have Dish, cancel, move, and when you tried to sign up, they'd get a match on your SS # and deny the offers. People had to sign up in their spouse's maiden name and jump through hoops....

I think at one point they had different offers for Former customers and I'm not sure how long you had to be without Dish.

Now the customer just has to wait 60 days after canceling and they can get the same promos as any new customer. The difference is to the retailer. The retailer gets paid less money for former customers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)