Random act of kindness- FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
so ya want a dish?

anyone want to donate or make a sweet offer on a bud?
The place to be on the lookout, is the C-band department.
In the last six months, several visitors have come by offering BUDs.
I know we found homes for at least some of 'em... :up

Other members post pictures of interesting dishes they've located in the long running thread, "Adventures In Dish Hunting 2010"
(we renew it with each year, so look at the 2009 thread for examples of sweet finds)
Not everyone can use the dishes they find, so that's another place to keep on the lookout for a freebie BUD!

Just being here and active on the forum is a good way to snag a dish.
I've had at least TWO occasions where people have called my attention to good BUDs in my general area.
And I as well have done the same for at least two members who live in the L.A. neighborhood!
We look out for each other! - :up

anyone want to donate or make a sweet offer on a bud?
There is one just down the road from me (well 14 miles west) .... FREE, if you remove it. Looks like a solid 10M dish. But it will take a 75 ft crane, at least, to get it over the house! :p

I have a couple I will not be using, but they are not in the best of shape...

I keep checking Craigslist and have gotten several there,

POP

There is one just down the road from me (well 14 miles west) .... FREE, if you remove it. Looks like a solid 10M dish. But it will take a 75 ft crane, at least, to get it over the house! :p

I have a couple I will not be using, but they are not in the best of shape...

I keep checking Craigslist and have gotten several there,

POP

+1 on craigslist. Also, try freecycle. I have gotten a 6', a 10' and a 36" Ku all for free (provided I remove them) from those two sites.
If you see some houses for sale that have one, give the realtor a call. They might be glad to get rid of the "eyesores" ;)

missed opportunity

I was just offered a C-band dish but have to pass on it as I don't have a way to haul it back. Sooooo frustrating.

The dish is in Hickory Groove, SC if anyone is interested, let me know. I'll put you in contact with the owner.

I was just offered a C-band dish but have to pass on it as I don't have a way to haul it back.
Sooooo frustrating.
Nooooooooo, I don't believe you said that!
If it's the dish you want, and it's within say 100 miles, you find a way!
I was prepared to drive about 180 for a particular dish, but it fell through.
I planned to rent a trailer and borrow an SUV to haul it.

In the end, I rented a flat bed truck, and dragged home two BUDs in one day, each being 20..25 miles from home, and especially desirable.
(see signature)

Well, I live about 40 miles west of Gainesville, FL and I know where there are about 15 c-band dishes within a 40 or so mile radius. There's even a Birdview among them. I only suspect one of actually being in use and there's one that appears as if a tractor has backed into it.

Well, I live about 40 miles west of Gainesville, FL and I know where there are about 15 c-band dishes within a 40 or so mile radius. There's even a Birdview among them. I only suspect one of actually being in use and there's one that appears as if a tractor has backed into it.

when you say weat of gville, just where are you? and these dishes you have seen, are they located closer to you or closer to gainesville? if its gainesville, i could probaly talk my nephew into a trip up there (he's a uf grad). i don't drive anymore because of my disabilities. but something within reason of daytona beach might be a possibility. thanks.

I live in Bell, FL and the dishes are from my house to Gville...The Birdview is on the outskirts of Chiefland and I know of a couple of Paraclipses around Lake City. There are two dishes I have spotted in Gainesville, and there are at least 3 within 15 miles west of Gainesville. I don't go on the east side of Gville all that often so I can't attest to anything out that way.

I live in Bell, FL and the dishes are from my house to Gville...The Birdview is on the outskirts of Chiefland and I know of a couple of Paraclipses around Lake City. There are two dishes I have spotted in Gainesville, and there are at least 3 within 15 miles west of Gainesville. I don't go on the east side of Gville all that often so I can't attest to anything out that way.

thanks. can you tell what shame they are in? any look worth removing?

Most of them are in fair to good condition. Only one that I've seen is in poor condition and that's the one at the dairy that looks like it got hit by a tractor.

I've used Google Maps with Streetview to show the two dishes in Gainesville. The images aren't high resolution but it will give you an idea of where the dishes are.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gainesville,+fl&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.902929,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gainesville,+Alachua,+Florida&ll=29.68919,-82.468293&spn=0.014316,0.033023&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=29.68919,-82.468399&panoid=ThmPiSF9VX9uozrx-KIZ1Q&cbp=12,352.14,,1,-5.7"]gainesville, fl - Google Maps[/ame]
This one looks as if it's been there for a while. It's got a considerable amount of rust on it, but it doesn't appear to be harmed in any other way.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gainesville,+fl&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.902929,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gainesville,+Alachua,+Florida&ll=29.604544,-82.410722&spn=0.028806,0.066047&z=15&layer=c&cbll=29.60463,-82.410578&panoid=mjGOLi5hile1UQDpJDcoEQ&cbp=12,294.54,,1,-0.64"]gainesville, fl - Google Maps[/ame]
This one looks to be in great shape and note the little dish beside it. It does look like it could be problematic to harvest though as the mounting pole is incorporated into the roof.

Edit: The links turned out strange but just click on the blue bar that says Gainesville, FL and it'll take you to the streetview and maps.

Last edited:
you are right, i'm afraid moving the bud from that house would leave a nice size hole in someone's roof. in the first picture, i can't expand so i can actually see the condition of the dish. but thanks so much for posting maps, pics and addresses. maybe, i can talk my nephew into a road trip!

No problem, and keep your eyes open on the road trip, if you get to make one, too. You never know you might come across a nice dish even closer to home. :)

actually, there's a mesh bud just up the street from me on a piece of vacant property for sale. problem is, it looks very rusty and i'm not sure its worth harvesting....so to speak.

in the meanwhile, i do need to go to gainesville in about 3 weeks (va hospital). couldn't go dish looking unless my nephew feels like driving me up and spending the afternoon there.

actually, there's a mesh bud just up the street from me on a piece of vacant property for sale. problem is, it looks very rusty and i'm not sure its worth harvesting....so to speak.

in the meanwhile, i do need to go to gainesville in about 3 weeks (va hospital). couldn't go dish looking unless my nephew feels like driving me up and spending the afternoon there.

That's kind of coincidental...I work at the VA hospital :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)