Random thoughts at the start of December

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
It's been a while since we've had one of these- no time like the present!

I'm going with 12 Random Thoughts, in honor of Florida and Alabama's dueling 12-0 records going into THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY!

1. I said this last December and I'll say it again- it's good for college football when Miami, Nebraska, and Alabama are relevant. This year, their combined record is 30-6!

2. Last year, the Dallas Cowboys were NFL's biggest underachievers- this year, it's the Chicago Bears. It's an ironic twist, for this year, the Bears were the team many picked to make the Super Bowl, while everyone had Dallas pegged to be so-so- it was the complete opposite a year ago. So far, Dallas is 8-3 while the Bears are 4-7. Talk about a role reversal!

3. Other than myself and Sandra, if anyone has interest in the Bills/Jets game on Thursday in Toronto (at the Skydome- a place I toured when I went to Canada in the summer)- feel free to raise your hand. Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's opposite the Oregon-Oregon State game where the winner goes to the Rose Bowl.

4. Right now, I have to consider Dan Snyder the worst NFL owner. For all I hear about Jerry Jones and Al Davis, those guys have accomplished more- Dan Snyder has seen his team make three playoff appearances in 10 years, while the other two owners have three Super Bowl championships.

5. Sometimes, you never know what you'll get in college football- Georgia Tech and Clemson are fighting for a BCS berth, while USC and Oklahoma are going to a lesser bowl game.

6. As much as I love the Saints' firepower, I just have a gut feeling that their offense might be stopped in the playoffs. On one hand, in the postseason, defense ALWAYS seems to come through- 2007 was a year where offense was through the roof all aroudn the league, but the team that won it all- the Giants- were 14th in total offense. tHEN again, all the other NFC teams have ample firepower themselves- Vikes, Cards, Eagles, Packers, Cowboys. And the AFC teams have offensive talent themselves- maybe this postseason, shootouts may be the norm rather than the exception.

7. Who would have EVER thought that Cedric Benson would find happiness in Cincinnati? At first, this move had disaster written all over it.

8. For those of you in the SatelliteGuys Fantasy Football League who scour the waiver wires, keep an eye out there- the next player you get may really be crucial. I got the waiver wire steal of the season so far- Miles Austin! :p

9. At this time last year, Brett Favre was playing good, but not THAT good with the Jets. As I watch him in Minnesota play like he bottled all the water from a fountain of youth, I believe that all along, he wanted to be a Viking last year, not a Jet.

10. This is the final season for football at Giants Stadium. Sandra probably shed a few tears when the original Yankee Stadium closed- will she get misty-eyed when the J-E-T-S leave the Meadowlands?

11. The NFL Network's schedule of games has changed things. Consider week 15- Colts/Jags and Cowboys/Saints. A decade ago, they would have been on Saturday on their respective networks for everyone to see- now, only a limted amount of people can see these games. Sometimes, progress is not always better.

12. Finally, I want to explain a change in my style. Unlike last year on the NFL thread, I don't overreact when outcomes don't go as I wanted to. I wasn't happy that the Cardinals lost to the Titans, but I bit my tongue and didn't go off on a nonsensical rant like I may have done. I admit, I lost my cool at times previously, but everyone makes rookie mistakes. The longer I have been on here, the more mature I have become.

It's been a while since we've had one of these- no time like the present!

I'm going with 12 Random Thoughts, in honor of Florida and Alabama's dueling 12-0 records going into THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY!

Most important game in the HISTORY of HISTORY ? Ya right :rolleyes:
1. I said this last December and I'll say it again- it's good for college football when Miami, Nebraska, and Alabama are relevant. This year, their combined record is 30-6!

2. Last year, the Dallas Cowboys were NFL's biggest underachievers- this year, it's the Chicago Bears. It's an ironic twist, for this year, the Bears were the team many picked to make the Super Bowl, while everyone had Dallas pegged to be so-so- it was the complete opposite a year ago. So far, Dallas is 8-3 while the Bears are 4-7. Talk about a role reversal!

1. Boys will probably MAKE the playoffs and continue to LOSE in the first round. :)
Who thought that the Bears were going to the SB at the start of the season, Not Me.

3. Other than myself and Sandra, if anyone has interest in the Bills/Jets game on Thursday in Toronto (at the Skydome- a place I toured when I went to Canada in the summer)- feel free to raise your hand. Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's opposite the Oregon-Oregon State game where the winner goes to the Rose Bowl.

I'll be watching the Oregon / Oregon St game .... for obvious reasons :D

4. Right now, I have to consider Dan Snyder the worst NFL owner. For all I hear about Jerry Jones and Al Davis, those guys have accomplished more- Dan Snyder has seen his team make three playoff appearances in 10 years, while the other two owners have three Super Bowl championships.

5. Sometimes, you never know what you'll get in college football- Georgia Tech and Clemson are fighting for a BCS berth, while USC and Oklahoma are going to a lesser bowl game.

6. As much as I love the Saints' firepower, I just have a gut feeling that their offense might be stopped in the playoffs. On one hand, in the postseason, defense ALWAYS seems to come through- 2007 was a year where offense was through the roof all aroudn the league, but the team that won it all- the Giants- were 14th in total offense. tHEN again, all the other NFC teams have ample firepower themselves- Vikes, Cards, Eagles, Packers, Cowboys. And the AFC teams have offensive talent themselves- maybe this postseason, shootouts may be the norm rather than the exception.

7. Who would have EVER thought that Cedric Benson would find happiness in Cincinnati? At first, this move had disaster written all over it.

8. For those of you in the SatelliteGuys Fantasy Football League who scour the waiver wires, keep an eye out there- the next player you get may really be crucial. I got the waiver wire steal of the season so far- Miles Austin! :p

9. At this time last year, Brett Favre was playing good, but not THAT good with the Jets. As I watch him in Minnesota play like he bottled all the water from a fountain of youth, I believe that all along, he wanted to be a Viking last year, not a Jet.

It was quite obvious that he wanted to play for the Vikes when he was in GB and GB wrote something into his contract to keep him away from them ... Can you blame him, he has AP to hand the ball too :D

10. This is the final season for football at Giants Stadium. Sandra probably shed a few tears when the original Yankee Stadium closed- will she get misty-eyed when the J-E-T-S leave the Meadowlands?

11. The NFL Network's schedule of games has changed things. Consider week 15- Colts/Jags and Cowboys/Saints. A decade ago, they would have been on Saturday on their respective networks for everyone to see- now, only a limted amount of people can see these games. Sometimes, progress is not always better.

I always enjoyed the Sat night games

12. Finally, I want to explain a change in my style. Unlike last year on the NFL thread, I don't overreact when outcomes don't go as I wanted to. I wasn't happy that the Cardinals lost to the Titans, but I bit my tongue and didn't go off on a nonsensical rant like I may have done. I admit, I lost my cool at times previously, but everyone makes rookie mistakes. The longer I have been on here, the more mature I have become.

1 - Agree.

2 - Life in the NFL.

3 - Yes. It is pro football. People need to read and understand the NFL non-Sunday contracts. NBC's Sunday Night Football, which is the old ABC Monday Night Football contract is selected out of the schedule to be a "major" game. The ESPN and NFLN games are selected out of the would be regional games list. These are supposed to be among the smaller games of the week. Taken out of the regional map from 5 or so % of the country to a national non-Sunday afternoon slot.

4 - Agree. Watch this guy play the three jurisdictions there off one another for yet another new stadium within 10 years though.

5 - GIT and CU? How about Cincinnati, with its 573 fans and give-away tickets, and Pitt? Trust me, the BcS masters are begging for a Pitt upset.

6 - An all dome late playoffs is possible. New Orleans or Minnesota and Indy. If NO can maintain its lead against Minn. it will be tough to beat them at home.

7 - It is still the Bengals. Still turned in three bad weekends. They should be 11-0 as well.

8 - I hate fantasy anything.

9 - Right now is about the time Farve is carried off on a stretcher. The Jets made a mistake and the Vikings did too.

10 - You are not serious, right?

11 - I am sick of people, including Senator Comcast, bi***ing about NFLN. You call the nice DirecTV man, he comes out and rips out the 1950s technology and replaces it with a modern DBS system and you live happily ever after. Or accept that cable gives you SOME channels at a high price in grainy SD or pixelated HDlite. The number of people who can see these games? 100%.

12 - You are cool.

11 - I am sick of people, including Senator Comcast, bi***ing about NFLN. You call the nice DirecTV man, he comes out and rips out the 1950s technology and replaces it with a modern DBS system and you live happily ever after. Or accept that cable gives you SOME channels at a high price in grainy SD or pixelated HDlite. The number of people who can see these games? 100%.

Nothing more then an attempt by the NFL to exploit money from people who could care less about the channel. Much like ESPN has done..

If the NFL Network really cared about the fans being able to get the channel, they would allow the cable companies and even the sat companies to just let people who want the channel pay for it. Instead the NFL sees the hundreds of millions of dollars ESPN makes from people who do not even watch the channel and want a pieace of that action.

Think about it Aproxx 90million people have access to ESPN (depending on your source) On Avg the cable companies pay about 2$ a month per subscriber.. ( In most cases its more because of other channels being included etc but we will use the smaller number just for fun) So thats 180million a month... Now consider ESPNs highest ratings are MNF (right?) Avg about 20million or so. I think the peak was near 30 million. Lets just use that. So at the highest 30million watch ESPN. So that means ESPN is getting money from 60million other homes who could care less about it.. Thats 120million a month ESPN makes.. The NFL Network sees that and wants it themselves. Sure NFL Net is only .75 per sub, (depending on source) but thats still somthing like 45 million a month from people who do not watch the NFL.(assuming the NFL Net has 90million homes and has same ratings as ESPN) Not to mention once the NFL Network does have the audience they can do what ESPN did and begin to raise rates.

Not even including the AD money they get by showing commercials... Ya know other TV channels we pay so much for are commercial free (HBO, Showtime ETC) Of course they dont hide the high cost like ESPN and NFLNet will do.

Are you kidding me? Get real. William Clay Ford, in case you have forgotten, has buried the Detroit Lions since he took over ownership in the early sixties. One playoff victory during his tenure. Needless to say the closest we have come to the SB was hosting it twice. Our only playoff victory was followed by a crushing loss to Washington in the NFC championship game in 1992(?).

I just saw an article on Yahoo sports listing the ten first rd. draft picks of this decade, we had Numbers one and ten. This is the man who hired MATT MILLEN!

I could go on forever, but that would mean that nobody has read anything I have written over the last 4 years. I trust you have, so I wont reiterate.

THE DETROIT LIONS - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

I have ALWAYS thought the college football is boring when teams that are really hated or really loved are not at their best. I hate Notre Dame, it is NO FUN when they suck. Wait till next year when Miami will be competing for a National Championship...!!:D

It's one thing to be a bad owner and another to be a bad woner because you are senile. HUGE difference between the two. I know Al Davis has run the team to the ground, but he, he has lost it! Dan Snyder is just an idiot!!

Wait...didn't you rip my Raiders a new one about two weeks ago because they beat the Bengals just because you had the Bengals defense on your fantasy team?!:rolleyes:;)

Being inept and senile is > incompetence, Al Davis wins over Dan Snyder and the Ford family for worst owner. Once a genius and now completely awful.

Also re: NFLN... the NFL is the largest thing on ESPN by far, it's only natural to try and get a piece of the pie they are baking that a ton of others profit on. 2 games this season have been the most watched cable program ever, and both were on ESPN.

Being inept and senile is > incompetence, Al Davis wins over Dan Snyder and the Ford family for worst owner. Once a genius and now completely awful.

I don't know Stevo...I mean Al Davis turned inept due to his age. Dan Snyder is young AND inept.....you would think he should know better.

Nah, he's incompetent. Good coaches (Marty) come and go from that team like they're as bad as the poor ones (Zorn, the rest) because he doesn't run the franchise well. He needs to get a tuna-like Czar or GM to run it like a football team and not like a football card collection.

Inept and incompetent are pretty close in definition anyways, so I'll just say I think Al Davis has lost his mind and should put someone who is a little more sound in mind and body in charge of football operations, wheras Snyder knows roughly how to run a team, but not cultivate a successful franchise.

I think Jerry Jones is the right combination of both of the above, but will be smart enough to start handing off responsibilities once he starts to veer towards one extreme or the other.

Sometimes it's kinda hard to define all the different levels of suck. Let's just lump them all together and call them bad.

Also re: NFLN... the NFL is the largest thing on ESPN by far, it's only natural to try and get a piece of the pie they are baking that a ton of others profit on. 2 games this season have been the most watched cable program ever, and both were on ESPN.

Ahhh, the key phrase there is "Once a genius..." At least at one time he was a genius. Nobody will ever say that about Ford. At least you have seen the mountain top. Detroit is forever mired in the foothills looking up. Need I remind you about our 0-16 campaign?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)