Rant about "Issues"

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
Rant

I know that electric equipment may occasionally have “Issues” (a/k/a problems for us older people). While Echo Star/Dish equipment is generally very good, when “Issues” do occur too many times the response is “This is a known issue”. Even the normally very helpful DIRT team will fall back on this phase, a bet sometimes with tedious work a rounds as temporary fixes. One of the current “Issues” is the software glitches with the 722 receiver.

Apple, Microsoft and other companies have “Issues” but they release their “Patches”, a/k/a fixes, “Out of cycle”, a/k/a quickly. Why doesn’t Echo Star/Dish resolve, fix it’s “Issues” quickly?

I guess after being a Dish customer for 14+ years I should be accustom to their other well used phase “Soon”. But at my age “Soon” seems like a long, long time.

End of rant.

The 922 has been off and on buggy for years. The hopper is getting all the love now. The 722 is now like the 922, eventually most bugs will get fixed.

I got to agree.

There is a definate need for DISH to have EXTERNAL BETA TESTERS. They always seemed shocked when we find bugs that they didnt find in their internal testing.

We have lots of people here willing to help!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I got to agree.

There is a definate need for DISH to have EXTERNAL BETA TESTERS. They always seemed shocked when we find bugs that they didnt find in their internal testing.

You got that right! sign me up, I will find every bug there is. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I got to agree.

That's no joke, many posters here know what to look for and how to put a receiver through the paces. Some of us have said that for years. Scott, seriously call Charlie on your direct line and let him know we are willing and ready. :)

This is an awesome thread........finally, see to me my 922 is buggy but am I willing to give it up for a more stable 722k no its has an ugly UI and I have one in the living room so if I have to keep switching them out until the end of time I guess thats what I will have to do. Because I'm not willing to give up on it. But I don't want a hopper either. I can't believe they can't find these bugs its crazy. Its funny what Jerryez said, I also have the very first TIVO ever in existence commercially of course sitting on a shelf downstairs (999.00) had to have it loved it wish dish had their interface it was beautiful had four more after that model. Tivo managed to fix their bugs why can't dish? Now would I switch because of the bugs absolutely not. If dish added a $50 surcharge to my account just for having them tomorrow, I still would not switch that is how much I hate directv. And lastly we are all beta testers so why not let more of us become beta testers so that they can actually get the right responses with what bugs are there so they can work them out in the development phase. Then there technical support people would not spend near as much time on the phone with people. Its not like they would have to pay us. Most people would be willing to do it for free. Personally I love breaking shiny new things LOL.

Now I'm mad directv put an ad next to my post.

Last edited:
Dish needs a CE beta testing program where anyone can download the latest beta software between 11pm and 2am every Friday night. If issues they just rollback on there own doing the same download anytime after 2am

I got to agree.

Having worked for a mainframe computer company for my career, there is a serious issue with Beta testing. The people that want Beta testing the most are also those who cannot deal with problems.

Finding people who will expose themselves to problems, document and report those problems, and then take the curative actions supplied are a rare breed at the best.

Most want to be Beta testers to have availability of new stuff first, not to help find problems.

And even after Beta testing, every customer will have those unique variation of a problem, some real, some imaginary, that all the Beta testing in the world will not uncover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts