<RANT>India-Pakistan Cricket Tournament on Dish-Excessive Pricing</RANT>

rattili

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I am utterly disappointed to see that the pricing for the current Cricket Tournament between India and Pakistan is set at $199! All the Indians that I know have been waiting for this for a long time and are utterly disappointed. India is playing Pakistan in Pakistan after a gap of 15 years!!

If you look at Dish's site, the tournament between World Champions, Australia, and Former World Champions, Sri Lanka, is only $79.99. The last tournament between Pakistan and New Zealand was only $69.99. Heck, Cricket World Cup last year was only $299 for 31 games!! This tournament has just 8 games.

I am utterly disappointed that Charlie is so prejudiced against international viewers, especially Indians. Am also disappointed that I can't watch this tournament coz I can't justify it's price to my wife.

rattili said:
I am utterly disappointed to see that the pricing for the current Cricket Tournament between India and Pakistan is set at $199! All the Indians that I know have been waiting for this for a long time and are utterly disappointed. India is playing Pakistan in Pakistan after a gap of 15 years!!

If you look at Dish's site, the tournament between World Champions, Australia, and Former World Champions, Sri Lanka, is only $79.99. The last tournament between Pakistan and New Zealand was only $69.99. Heck, Cricket World Cup last year was only $299 for 31 games!! This tournament has just 8 games.

I am utterly disappointed that Charlie is so prejudiced against international viewers, especially Indians. Am also disappointed that I can't watch this tournament coz I can't justify it's price to my wife.

I'm sure he is not prejudiced against Indians. He is taking advantage of the tremendous market demand of this series. Also, HE is probably paying higher prices for this event, as well. I used to provide services for an annual Bay Area Indian Business conference. And, knowing the way those Indian businessmen conducted business, I'd bet the Indian and Pakastani providers of this event are probably taking full advantage of this market demand, as well.

Maybe you can split the cost with some friends, and make a social event out of it. That would be fun! I'll bring a six-pack of Cobra. :cool:

I would do as the above mentioned poster advised. If you pay hunderds of dollars for a special event, don't just let the friends freeload at your house without a contribution.
Get 4 friends to come over and enjoy the match, that way you'll only pay $40.
Plus, these types of events are more fun with a group of friends....

Thanks for understanding guys. You are right. I think I'll just get couple of my friends to chip in and we can all have fun!! I wouldn't mind spending about $100 myself, by $199 is a good stretch!

Well is it Dishnetwork setting the price? I know they are they ones with the price, but they might be paying big $$ for the package. Dish is not stupid, they know if they charge $99 they will get more than 2x the viewers as $199. Whoever has the rights is probably the ones cashing in and charging Dish the high rates, dish probably just gets a percentage.

Another issue which contributes to the price is "cheaters". The biggest problem Dish has is having businesses use the residential units in businesses. For some reason, it is a much bigger problem for these special events than for the big four US sports. In reality, the residential subscriber is being punished for the acts of many businesses.

See ya
Tony

Economics - Scarcity Pricing

Compared to other series, $199.95 for three tests and 5 ODI's is a bit steep. But, if it is a series that only takes place every 15 years, it might add some value.

If you play with a local cricket club, you should have little trouble finding friends willing to offer you a small loan that does not need to be repaid. You may have to prioritize the order in which these friends ensure the backup tapes or DVD's you made "for your own, personal use" are functioning properly. [Wink, wink.]

But enough about the Kashmir series, how about my boy taking 10 to surpass 500 today. Will he pass Courtney this series, only 14 more to be #1? Of course Murali will seek to match him, scalp for scalp. "Bowling, Shane!"

:bounce

$200 for this series does seem steep to me when you compare to baseball, basketball, hockey, or football packages.....

Hopefully a group of you paying together will help take the sting out of the price.....

Alright, I finally took the plunge and subscribed. I got 3 more friends in. So, I'd essentially pay $50. Boy, am I happy!! India is doing great!! ramcm7, are you a cricket fan too? Good to see some fans around.

As far as I can tell, PQ is pretty good. It's no high def by any means, but it's good.

rattili said:
Alright, I finally took the plunge and subscribed. I got 3 more friends in. So, I'd essentially pay $50. Boy, am I happy!! India is doing great!! ramcm7, are you a cricket fan too? Good to see some fans around.

I am one of the few Americans to take up the sport. I won't profess to play well, but I do play.

As for PQ, I find that a lot of foreign sports events have less than stellar pictures. I suspect it is a combination of conversion from alternate formats (PAL/SECAM?) and the sat distance and compression involved. Experts on this board can probably offer a better educated reason for the poor PQ. The PQ on Fox Sports World on D* often leaves a lot to be desired, as well.

ride525 said:
$200 for this series does seem steep to me when you compare to baseball, basketball, hockey, or football packages.....

Hopefully a group of you paying together will help take the sting out of the price.....

So...are you saying that charging $200 isn't cricket? :haha
(I crack myself up sometimes.)

The irony of the situation is one of the Pakistani channels currently being tested by E* is supposed to be carrying the matches. I don't remember which one. Either ARY One World or ARY Digital UK. I think it is the latter. But, the channels are not available, yet.

JohnH said:
The irony of the situation is one of the Pakistani channels currently being tested by E* is supposed to be carrying the matches. I don't remember which one. Either ARY One World or ARY Digital UK. I think it is the latter. But, the channels are not available, yet.

Well, knowing how the Brazilian channels work.
The Pakistani channels might be covering it locally, but blacking it out for the international feed.