Rant

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The archaic attitude around here is amazing. I made a comment about adhering to certain rules (ie the complaint about drilling through hardware floors when told not to) and this moron has the installer digging a trench and running hundreds of feet of cable. You guys (many of you) basically want free reign to do whatever you want and not have to take any responsibility. Yes we are paying a small or free price for the install, but we are also signing a commitment for this. We want to be happy with the way this is done because we cant just leave anytime we like, as we can with cable.

I have to say this. My E install went very well. I had no issues and a couple of minor requests. The main one was to use the existing wiriring wherever possible. The second was that he remove his shoes when entering the home. Everything came out great and he was very professional. But I also have heard many complaints and horror stories as well.

I did not "hover" over the guy but observed from a distance. This case cleary demonstrates this is necessary or the installer may do something yuu may not want done (like drilling through hardwood floors). If you are there, you can prevent a dispute like this.

I had an experience with a D installer. Guy said he could not find my house and left voice mail messages asking for directions. There were no voicemails left and my house is very easy to find. The reality is, it was the end of the day and he wanted to go home.
Archaic? Poor choice of words..Tell you what , take a walk in our shoes before you criticize..Most of us are out there busting our asses, climbing out onto steep roofs stretching the limits to get a dish into an unusual place to give you service, crawling thru your firethrorn shrubs and spider web infested crawlspaces and you come across like we are all scum...Well just let me say this..What I am thinking of you and people like you would get me a time out form this board so I won' t write it. Use you imagination..Think of words that would make a 20 year Navy man blush .Do us a favor, put the friggin thing in yourself.
We will give good service to those who appreciate it..People like you are why people in the cutomer service business think it this is an advesarial situation..Nuff said..Good day and good luck

first of darren G.F.Y.. dont call me a moron. i was making an in general comment on the subject of egotistical, whiny, and self important people making us go way out of our way to do something. if you dont like the way it looks why order it, you know before hand (giving that you have half a brain) that there is going to be a 20" lolly pop comming to your home, and that you WILL see. you also know that at your very own job, that it drives you crazy if someone goes out of their way to make your work harder than it needs to be. i fully understand what frustrated is talking about, BUT what you as the customer dont see is that (and it being no fault of your own) we have 2-4 other people to see everyday and when you start the nitpicking and must haves, that does the other customers wrong.. then they get mad cause you made me an hour and a half or two hours late, then guess what .. they complain just like you do ... its a vicious cycle.. back to my last line of what i said in my last post.. how about helping the other guy sometimes!? thats the problem today everyone is self centered, you dont care if we just spent all day in a 140 degree attic.. "I've been waiting all day for you" or the always popular " its about damn time", i find it so refreshing to get just one person a week that is just happy to see me, rather than yelling at me because they had to wait three days without seeing their shows.. thats my complaint to you .. lack of care for anyone other than #1.

Right on. I could not have said it better myself(and believe me, I've tried) Unfortunately, you can put it to them as logically as possible and try to get them to see your point of view, but they won't. 10$ says he has an argument to throw right back at you as to why you should go get another job if you don't like making the customer happy.

It's not the tech's house, is it? I'll do what I want in my own house, or my parents' house for that matter.
He wanted to run the cables on the middle of the siding, about 5 feet off the ground. The dish was on the corner of the roof, and there would have been no extra wire used by running the cable across the top of the siding near where the eaves meet, all it meant was that the guy needed to get on his ladder one extra time.
Should I expect a professional to smoke on my property? No. It should go without saying. In our state there's even a law that you cannot smoke in any indoor public place.
Good. That's all I wanted. I wanted it on the corner of the roof (would not require tech to leave ladder) rather than smack dab on the front of the house facing the street. I'm sure anyone can understand that.
I'm not trying to imply that. Most of you are probably good ones. But there's always exceptions.

I'll get whatever it takes to repair the floor. I don't care how much it costs but the floor better look the exact same now as it did.

It was a 1/2" hole, but drilled right where three boards meet each other. On the edge of the junction of two boards, but in the corner so that it affects a third board.
The property owners are my parents. My father even was consulted by the installers and he said not to drill through the floor. So his opinion does count.
It was RG6 Quad Shield. And even if he couldn't use it, that doesn't mean he had the right to run new stuff without the permission of the property owner.
It would. If they let customers do self-installs without buying all of the equipment I would. And A/V is a huge hobby of mine...but I'm not going out to be a satellite installer. I'm perfectly happy with my job.

The damage was not repaired yet. I only had one company come out and give a free quote. If Dish wants to send out their own contractor, fine. But I'm not going to wait 6 months over this.

Believe me, the guy tried pretty hard for my father's signiture, but he didn't give it. They could have taken the stuff out if they wanted...assuming they did no more damage to the home.

Look you never mentioned in your OP that the guy wanted to put the dish on the front of the house..You didn't mention the unwanted hole was drilled at the jct of three boards..BTW Hardwood floors run about $5-$6/sf..Labor to replace three boards might be $100..So $500 seems a bit unreasonable..
Actaully the tech has to in oredrto do his job properly must run new cable if ther exiting is not usable.Or the job doesn't get done.Is that what your alterantiove was?..Not getting it done?...Now Quad rg-6 is fine..The tech shopuld have used it if it was installed properly. LIke i said in a previous post I think the tech ran out of Diplexers and tried to cover his ass by running the add'l line..
If i can see you watching me without engaing in friendly conversation or maybe asking a few questions about the job, you're hovering.. I actaully don't mind customers that ask question and try to learn about the install and the EQ.. That shopws me they are smart consumers and do their homework on their pruchases. Customer that follow me around and look upon everyhting I do with suspicion are a pain in the ass..I don't like when people have no respect for my work..whn there is no reason other than their childish insecurity that makes them think that way

I don't have many problems with Hollands either, but I have had a couple of bad ones. My point was using a diplexer is not the only way to run TV2, If I can, I will run it hardline. It saves end connectors and time 'sometimes'. I do have to admit that the OP had a legitimate reason for not wanting a hard line. I think, too, that the guy was probably out of diplexers. Can't think of any other reason he would do that.
If the situation warrants, I will of course leave the Diplexers on the truck. Cable is cheaper.It's the larger homes usually built on slabs or when in lieu of diplxers ,wall fishes(which Dish will not allow us to charge for on DNSC w/o's) would be necessary, I will use the diplexers..But if I am working amobile home or a ranch with crwalspace/basement, I run the cable..

Right on. I could not have said it better myself(and believe me, I've tried) Unfortunately, you can put it to them as logically as possible and try to get them to see your point of view, but they won't. 10$ says he has an argument to throw right back at you as to why you should go get another job if you don't like making the customer happy.
An irate butt wipe actually said words to that effct to me after he said "it's about time you got here"..Well I had just cme off a difficult install and was courteous enough to update this customer of my staus.,.Called him three times. He was a douche bag to me when I got there so when he said "it's about time", I told him to have a nice day and left..I stopped at the end of the street .called my dispatch and told them what went on and said I was leaving. and not to assign the job to me..My supervisor actually sent the job back to Dish to let someone else handle it

Look you never mentioned in your OP that the guy wanted to put the dish on the front of the house..You didn't mention the unwanted hole was drilled at the jct of three boards..BTW Hardwood floors run about $5-$6/sf..Labor to replace three boards might be $100..So $500 seems a bit unreasonable..
I mentioned in the second or third post of mine where he wanted to put it. I guess I should have been clearer in the first post, but the hardwood floor thing is what was really irking me. I don't know what it costs, I was quoted $450. If Dish can do it cheaper and satisfactorily, then fine. But in order to fix it, three boards must be replaced, and the area of and surrounding each board that was replaced must be sanded and then finished.
Actaully the tech has to in oredrto do his job properly must run new cable if ther exiting is not usable.Or the job doesn't get done.Is that what your alterantiove was?..Not getting it done?...Now Quad rg-6 is fine..The tech shopuld have used it if it was installed properly. LIke i said in a previous post I think the tech ran out of Diplexers and tried to cover his ass by running the add'l line..
Must have been the case. I know the cable was fine, it was Belden RG6 QS that I ran myself when the house was wired. But that's not even the point. The point is that he drilled through the floor when the homeowner told him not to. If he wanted, I'd have even dropped a new line for him through the wall. It may have taken an extra 15 minutes, but it would have been done correctly then.
If i can see you watching me without engaing in friendly conversation or maybe asking a few questions about the job, you're hovering.. I actaully don't mind customers that ask question and try to learn about the install and the EQ.. That shopws me they are smart consumers and do their homework on their pruchases. Customer that follow me around and look upon everyhting I do with suspicion are a pain in the ass..I don't like when people have no respect for my work..whn there is no reason other than their childish insecurity that makes them think that way
First, I was not trying to learn anything. I knew exactly how everything was to be done. I don't think I was hovering either. I wasn't leaning over his shoulder watching him compress a cable. I was, however, in the same room, and rightly so, except for that 30 seconds I walked out and he took the opportunity to drill the hole. It's my right to be in the same room too. How do I know the guy wouldn't have stole something? Granted, I doubt he would, but as a customer, you always have to be cautious. I was not doing anything wrong by observing him.
Another thing to keep in mind is that it is the customer's house. Their own. They live there. Whatever you install, they will have to live with for the next few years at the least. Therefore, it's justified that they want it done right the first time. And they're not doing anything wrong by observing. I understand that it's annoying sometimes. I know the feeling. But sometimes it's a feeling you've got to learn to live with.

I mentioned in the second or third post of mine where he wanted to put it. I guess I should have been clearer in the first post, but the hardwood floor thing is what was really irking me. I don't know what it costs, I was quoted $450. If Dish can do it cheaper and satisfactorily, then fine. But in order to fix it, three boards must be replaced, and the area of and surrounding each board that was replaced must be sanded and then finished.
Must have been the case. I know the cable was fine, it was Belden RG6 QS that I ran myself when the house was wired. But that's not even the point. The point is that he drilled through the floor when the homeowner told him not to. If he wanted, I'd have even dropped a new line for him through the wall. It may have taken an extra 15 minutes, but it would have been done correctly then.
First, I was not trying to learn anything. I knew exactly how everything was to be done. I don't think I was hovering either. I wasn't leaning over his shoulder watching him compress a cable. I was, however, in the same room, and rightly so, except for that 30 seconds I walked out and he took the opportunity to drill the hole. It's my right to be in the same room too. How do I know the guy wouldn't have stole something? Granted, I doubt he would, but as a customer, you always have to be cautious. I was not doing anything wrong by observing him.
Another thing to keep in mind is that it is the customer's house. Their own. They live there. Whatever you install, they will have to live with for the next few years at the least. Therefore, it's justified that they want it done right the first time. And they're not doing anything wrong by observing. I understand that it's annoying sometimes. I know the feeling. But sometimes it's a feeling you've got to learn to live with.
If you knew how everything was to be done ,then why did you not do it yourself?
You don't have to be leaning over the shoulder to be annoying. Its' you loomiong presence and you demeanor that constitues hovering...I guess refernece to having a layman hover over you at your job didn't sit well with you so you avoided the question.
Look mistakes were made on both sides in your case.. Iam looking ta this form how I would do my job..The main sticking point seems to be the hole in the hardwood floor..Ok. If it were my job I would have asked first before drilling. And I would have asked that your reply been very specific.
"If he wanted, I'd have even dropped a new line for him through the wall. "..Then why didn't you?..You stated you knew exactly how the job should have been done. Then you stated you'd have run a new line for the guy...If it was that important to you perhaps you should have chosen that option...Now I am going to chastise you for the "stealing thing'..If you are that suspicious of anyone who comes to your home to perform service, perahps a few do it yourself manuals should be in your Christmas wish list..Again, if it were my job and you even gave me the slightest indication you were watching me because I might steal something, I would have told you to go F yourself and left immediately...And if you think I am kidding, don't..I don't need the job that badly that I have to take that crap off anybody.
In any event it is My opinion that you do not trust others and especially service personnel. Fine. We all have our piccadillos But that does not give you the ok to make a service person's life a living hell either.. If oyu don't want anyone in your home to work, don't invite them..Discussiojn terminated

Not an ideal install, but I agree with Dallas. If a customer started in my face as soon as I got there, I probably would have left. If I had stayed, I would have done whatever it took to get out of there quickly. What was wrong with the location the installer chose for the dish? If he's a contractor he pays for that cable. Your family member only paid 50 bucks, for a basic install.
Personally, I HATE diplexers, it's just another thing that can fail later on, sometimes even within the 90 day warranty. Guess who gets to pay for the retrip to replace it?

I agree, however if there was only one cable in that room, and it was impractical to bring in another one, I'd diplex in a heartbeat.

Again, if the customer was being pleasant and treating me with respect, I would have done exactly as they asked. I can understand not wanting to drill through new hardwood floors.

Not sure why the tech didn't angle-drill instead and put a wall plate on the wall. Unless it's an outside wall. But still, I'd have not drilled through hardwood.

The rats nest behind your tv was possibly a result of the installer not wanting to be around you anymore. Oh, and you'll be happy to know, the installer will be the one paying for the hardwood floor, not Dish. I'm not sure what happens to in house guys in that situation.

Inhouse techs get a consultation (write-up) if they cause a damage, and may have to wait a 3 month period before advancing a skill level (promotion). That's about it. No financial consequences directly to the tech, but get enough damages and you're out.

If you knew how everything was to be done ,then why did you not do it yourself?
Because Dish doesn't allow for self installs unless you purchase all of the equipment.
You don't have to be leaning over the shoulder to be annoying. Its' you loomiong presence and you demeanor that constitues hovering...I guess refernece to having a layman hover over you at your job didn't sit well with you so you avoided the question.
Look, you can't compare the two. I spend most of my day in an office and lab, where people that don't belong there can't be there. You're working in someone's house. How would you like it if someone came to your house and you couldn't watch what they were doing to your house? I'm sorry, but you have to live with the fact that you're in someone's house. The place they live. They can watch over you and there's nothing wrong with that. If I'm not supposed to be in the same room as you, then I don't want you in my house either.
Look mistakes were made on both sides in your case.. Iam looking ta this form how I would do my job..The main sticking point seems to be the hole in the hardwood floor..Ok. If it were my job I would have asked first before drilling. And I would have asked that your reply been very specific.

"If he wanted, I'd have even dropped a new line for him through the wall. "..Then why didn't you?
He never asked. There was no reason why a diplexer would not work. I asked him to diplex and eventually he reluctantly agreed. Had it been necessary to run the new line, I would have.
..You stated you knew exactly how the job should have been done. Then you stated you'd have run a new line for the guy...If it was that important to you perhaps you should have chosen that option...
It was not necessary to use a new line. Diplexers would have worked fine. He used them in the other room with the same type of cable. I'm trying to say that if he had told me he ran out of diplexers or something, I would have run the line the right way.
Now I am going to chastise you for the "stealing thing'..If you are that suspicious of anyone who comes to your home to perform service, perahps a few do it yourself manuals should be in your Christmas wish list.
I don't need any DIY manuals, thank you very much.
.Again, if it were my job and you even gave me the slightest indication you were watching me because I might steal something, I would have told you to go F yourself and left immediately...And if you think I am kidding, don't..I don't need the job that badly that I have to take that crap off anybody.
In any event it is My opinion that you do not trust others and especially service personnel. Fine. We all have our piccadillos But that does not give you the ok to make a service person's life a living hell either.. If oyu don't want anyone in your home to work, don't invite them..Discussiojn terminated

Here's where our differing viewpoints lie. I'm not paranoid about this. I wouldn't expect anyone to steal anything, and I'm not too concerned about it. However, it's well within my rights to be in the same room. I was not nitpicking the guy. I was not making his life a living hell. He was making mine. There should not have been any problem. He was, however, a bad installer, and my feelings are justified.
I'm sure most installers are just fine and I'd have no problem with them. However, these two guys weren't. One guy was just plain lazy and didn't care. The other guy was the one that drilled where he shouldn't have. I hate to categorize all techs like this. I have had two other bad experiences within a year, but that surely isn't representative of everyone, and I understand that. Maybe my local area gives bad training. Who knows?

Because Dish doesn't allow for self installs unless you purchase all of the equipment.Look, you can't compare the two. I spend most of my day in an office and lab, where people that don't belong there can't be there. You're working in someone's house. How would you like it if someone came to your house and you couldn't watch what they were doing to your house? I'm sorry, but you have to live with the fact that you're in someone's house. The place they live. They can watch over you and there's nothing wrong with that. If I'm not supposed to be in the same room as you, then I don't want you in my house either.
He never asked. There was no reason why a diplexer would not work. I asked him to diplex and eventually he reluctantly agreed. Had it been necessary to run the new line, I would have.
It was not necessary to use a new line. Diplexers would have worked fine. He used them in the other room with the same type of cable. I'm trying to say that if he had told me he ran out of diplexers or something, I would have run the line the right way.
I don't need any DIY manuals, thank you very much.

Here's where our differing viewpoints lie. I'm not paranoid about this. I wouldn't expect anyone to steal anything, and I'm not too concerned about it. However, it's well within my rights to be in the same room. I was not nitpicking the guy. I was not making his life a living hell. He was making mine. There should not have been any problem. He was, however, a bad installer, and my feelings are justified.
I'm sure most installers are just fine and I'd have no problem with them. However, these two guys weren't. One guy was just plain lazy and didn't care. The other guy was the one that drilled where he shouldn't have. I hate to categorize all techs like this. I have had two other bad experiences within a year, but that surely isn't representative of everyone, and I understand that. Maybe my local area gives bad training. Who knows?
Wrong..You could have pulled all the cable you heart desired and this way the job would have been doen exactly the way you wanted.

Yer right , they don't compare..But a little common sense and just a little courtesy and respect goes a long way..You exhibited neither..You prejudged the tech as being incomptent and watch his every move. Don't deny it..I have dealt with people like you. You really diddn't want the guy to do the work so you should have done it yourself. Period.
Hey I hang around whern serive people are at my house but I don't get in their way nor do I look over their shoulder. I chat with them, trade stroies about our businesses but I don't sit there and critique their work nor do I try to tell them how they need to get it done..I offer beverages and if they do a good job ask them for their supervisor's name and call that person to tell them their guy did a good job. I also like to tip service workers.
Of course the diplexer would work..I am telling you that I believe he ran out of them. He was covering his ass.
"I hate to categorize all techs like this."
Then don't. Becuase you did.

the fact that frustrated didnt pull the cable isnt the point... thats the techs job.. i feel we are giving frustrated too much grief. the point is that the installer didnt not do a proper job, even though frustrated may have had too much input to the job, the tech did need to heed the wishes that would have prevented the damage. i hate the hovering customer as much as everyone.. so i tell them if they wanna watch the price is helping.. if they dont wanna help (which is rare) then i tell them to let me do what i know how to do, i useually leave one tv with what ever they are hooked to so they have something to watch while i work. point being, if you want something done that isnt in a standard install, and it is way out, you need to have a contractor come out and have him do it on you tab, or take what we are able to do without complaint.
i am glad that they are taking care of your floor though.. dont let this be the only impression you have with dish.. you just happened to get a suck tech. my first stop would have been his FSM, just for future referance.

the fact that frustrated didnt pull the cable isnt the point... thats the techs job.. i feel we are giving frustrated too much grief. the point is that the installer didnt not do a proper job, even though frustrated may have had too much input to the job, the tech did need to heed the wishes that would have prevented the damage. i hate the hovering customer as much as everyone.. so i tell them if they wanna watch the price is helping.. if they dont wanna help (which is rare) then i tell them to let me do what i know how to do, i useually leave one tv with what ever they are hooked to so they have something to watch while i work. point being, if you want something done that isnt in a standard install, and it is way out, you need to have a contractor come out and have him do it on you tab, or take what we are able to do without complaint.
i am glad that they are taking care of your floor though.. dont let this be the only impression you have with dish.. you just happened to get a suck tech. my first stop would have been his FSM, just for future referance.
yes it is the techs job..But when i run into anally retentive customers I have to spend precious time schmoozing them just to get the job started..The cable issue and the hole in the floor aren't the reasons why I am giving this guy a hard time..It's his generalizations, which he now is trying to step back from, about us techs in general that have in my gunsights

I should copy this thread into a thread of people scheduled to get installs for the first time. This thread proves you need to be very careful when installers are at your house. Some installers here are obscene, rude, and downright disrepectful towards customers and their homes. And if we dare want to keep an eye on anything we're called a variety of colorful terms. Now I know next install to keep a closer eye on things than before because some of you are proving your character is WORSE than i thought!

I should copy this thread into a thread of people scheduled to get installs for the first time. This thread proves you need to be very careful when installers are at your house. Some installers here are obscene, rude, and downright disrepectful towards customers and their homes. And if we dare want to keep an eye on anything we're called a variety of colorful terms. Now I know next install to keep a closer eye on things than before because some of you are proving your character is WORSE than i thought!

And with that attitude, you will having a hard time finding any installer that will satisfy you.

Yes, some installers are obscene, rude, and downright disrepectful towards customers but the fact you are ignoring is that there are a LOT more customers that are this way towards the installers than there are installers in the field. Installers are not your personal slaves to do everything exactly the way you specify right down to where to secure the cabling and how far apart to space the screw clips. We have a job to do, and know how to do it (despite what you think). I don't tell you how to do your job, don't tell me how to do mine.

The 'war' between customers and installers is ongoing and never ending in these forums. The bottom line is, installers used to get paid what they are worth. Now Dish tells us we only have to do 'basic' installs, probably to save time and justify them paying us less; they prefer quantity over quality(I don't care what they claim the standards are, they'd rather the job go in no matter what, they just won't admit it), yet the CSR's or Sales Reps like to tell you we'll do whatever you want us to do. We(the installers) don't like being treated like hired help, and you(the customers) are terrified we're going to damage your home or make it look like crap. We are always in a hurry because of our workload and the customers are usually in a hurry because they don't want us there to begin with! How in the world any decent installs get done in these conditions is a miracle in itself.

Any nstaller that even bothers to frequent this forum obviously takes pride in what they do and cares about the industry. I've rolled on jobs that were nearly perfect. Everything to code, everything neat, everything working, but the customer still talks trash about the guy who put it in, because they don't know how to use the DVR, or they can't get locals, or they have TV2 on the wrong channel. After a couple of years of this crap, you start getting defensive and bitter. We still do a good job, and after about 2000 (give or take a few) installs, I've only gotten rude with maybe 2 customers, and trust me when I say they were asking for it. I get rude on here because none of you are my customers, you don't know me, will probably never meet me and I have just as much right to vent and sling insults as you.

An irate butt wipe actually said words to that effct to me after he said "it's about time you got here"..Well I had just cme off a difficult install and was courteous enough to update this customer of my staus.,.Called him three times. He was a douche bag to me when I got there so when he said "it's about time", I told him to have a nice day and left..I stopped at the end of the street .called my dispatch and told them what went on and said I was leaving. and not to assign the job to me..My supervisor actually sent the job back to Dish to let someone else handle it

I had a situation last week that kinda falls into the above quote. I had set up to have my Dish Network installed last friday. The time was between 12 Noon and 5 PM.

The installer leaves me a voice mail saying that he was at my house and since I wasn't there (10:30 AM) he was leaving and I had to reschedule the service again.

I called him back about 5 minutes later and left him a voice mail about the correct time frame. He NEVER called back.

About an hour later, his dispatch office calls and tells me that they tried to install my service but I missed the appointment and that I should have been home for the allotted time frame.

I corrected the lady and told her the actual time was Noon to 5 PM. She tells me that I am wrong and a installer will have to come back out at another time since his next appointment was at 4 PM (about NOON at this time) and he was only scheduled a 1/2 day of service (10:30 AM to 4 PM is a half day???)

I politely told her that I had just lost 5 1/2 hours of pay that day for them to not install anything. She said that she would contact the installer and see if he could get back out to me.

She calls back about 10 minutes later to tell me that he would be back in about an hour to install it for me. I wait 2 hours (about 2 PM now) and no sign of the installer.

I called the dispatcher back and asked where he was. She told me that she would call him to find out what his status was.

Dispatch calls back about 25 minutes later (around 2:30 PM). "Sorry but the installer's truck has broken down he can't make it there today."

At this point I am not happy. I asked why he never bothered to call within that 2 hours to say that his truck was broken down and that he wouldn't be making it. The dispatcher tells me that "he had phone problems".

I asked why she was able to get in touch with him if his phone wasn't working. "Oh, well it just started working a minute or two ago. Can we reschedule that install for you on Monday?"

Needless to say I told her that I was not pleased at all with the lack of service and professionalism that was being exhibited. I told her I was calling Dish Network and canceling and that this whole fiasco with them was the problem.

Sorry for this rant, but your post made me wonder what you would have done if you were in my shoes.

FYI, my service is scheduled to still be installed this Saturday (don't have to miss work this time). Hopefully I don't get the same crappy install service this time, because I will NOT be a happy camper...and I know that I am a very good person to deal with because this is the only time I have ever had a problem like this.

I have actually had installers call me back several weeks later to personally ask if there was any problems with my service and to thank me for being such an easy customer to deal with.:)

yes it is the techs job..But when i run into anally retentive customers I have to spend precious time schmoozing them just to get the job started..The cable issue and the hole in the floor aren't the reasons why I am giving this guy a hard time..It's his generalizations, which he now is trying to step back from, about us techs in general that have in my gunsights

Sometimes that impression may be hard to stray from. During my first ever experience with a Dish install, I was extremely unpleased. Not a thing was done satisfactorily. If he got stuck with a few of those, it's easy to see where he's coming from.

After my first experience, I then called the local retailer. They seem to be much better. They do a decent job, and are always friendly to work with.

Another thing I reccomend is running the cables ahead of time. Yes, it is the tech's job, but if I can do it to my liking ahead of time, I do. I run the two or four cables to the dish, and terminate them. I'll hook everything exactly as it should be in the basement or attic, and leave the connection cables all laying right next to where the receiver should go. Then, when the tech comes out, he only needs to set the dish up and attach the boxes, which I do sometimes anyway. If it's a more complicated system I will attach it. Not that I don't trust him, but I've spent more years behind my Middle Atlantic rack than he's spent installing satellite.

Then everyone goes home happy, the customer (me) is happy that it's done, and the tech is happy that it was such an easy install.

I understand your frustration, and mostly agree with you.

However, I think you are missing something important: the people doing the install get a very small, fixed price for doing the install. Its incredibly easy for them to make a loss on each and every one if they take too long and end up using too many materials.

The price and equipment budget are based upon an "average" install, and what "average" clients find acceptable.

I think it was wishful thinking that you would get a really custom install as part of the standard installation package.

There are really two ways to get what you want, if its other than what the installer finds easiest:

1) Do it yourself. Its not hard, and if there are any problems, you know exactly who to blame.

2) Talk to the people doing the install *before* they arrive on your doorstep and explain that you have some special requirements - and that you are WILLING TO PAY for the added cost. Explain exactly what is needed, and if necessary, get someone to come out and look so that they can give you an accurate cost estimate and talk over the fine detail.

I think you had exagerated expectation of a free basic install...

Custom install? That's the lightest I've ever heard that term used. An extra diplexer be considered a custom install?

In my view what he wanted was about as basic as it got. Two 322's connecting 4 TV's with no extra wiring necessary besides the use of two extra diplexers. Unless he said something that I missed, it appears frustrated was looking for the most basic install there is.

If you want to talk about a custom install, take a look at what the custom installation industry actually is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts