RCA 420 to RS 232/ convert to PANSAT 2700a

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freddybv

Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
hi.
i would like to convert my rca 420 to a pansat 2700a receiver. for fta.

i have a rs 232 cable. but there is no port on the rca to plug to.

is there a place where i can get a cable that would plug ito the rca 420 and the computer to do this?

can i solder a conection or splice into the rs232 cable?

if so, what pins go where?

thankyou!
in advance...
???

If you just want an FTA receiver, cheaper to buy a unit.
If you just want the experience, I believe you need a J-Tag kit vs. an RS232 cable.
Goggling may yield better answers and instructions.

Since this operation may be considered a "hack", sorry, please remove.

google a buffered jtag... the port will be inside the case, its possible u will have to soldier pins to the board... if im not mistaken its a 20 pin plug.... i have done this with my 3500 several times to get the eeprom back (yesterday was the last time, power failure during the nite shut it & my comp off)... never tried to "change" a reciever tho, not quite sure it is possible

I have done this mod. It was my first fta box, it works but you will be limited to sr. 20000 and above ku only no c-band. If you look hard on the web you will find a guide to jtag the box,
you have to soldier about 6 points. The better solution would be to buy a true fta box. The mod was buggy. This is all the info I will give you,because like Lak7 said this may be considered hack talk. And I don't want to piss off the man.

thanks fellas!
i don't believe this would be a hack from what i can see.
this is like the same as dumping out your computer and reloading it with a fresh new windows o/s.

or another example would be dump out a video tape and record a new program on it.

reloading a chip on a mother board may be concidered to some as a hack. but to myself and to others,
it is concidered - getting rid of the old garbage can and putting in a new one.

computer programmers, have been called all sorts of names. hackers, gueroes, geeks, ect...
just because were smarter in some areas of life than others, doesn't mean were a dip stick, or ect... ect....

thanks fellas!
merry christmass!

Very Interesting! I would of thought this thread a bit over the line. I thought of asking about a similar situation. The Hughes GAEBO can be reflashed to a Pansat unit for FTA use. I knew of a site where you could find the procedure for doing this but it has gone the way of most hacker sites. Would it be proper to post the directions on this board? I don't have them but I would like to see them again. Since the DBS providers are going into HD and MPG4 the older recievers will be showing up in yard sales and dumpsters near you. Could be a cheap resource for a basic reciever. Not to mention some more stuff to tinker with :)

programmin an eeprom is more like givin the os a roadmap to where the individual components are (card reader, av outputs, hdmi, tuner, such as that)... the os would be in final "running" stage such as the gui that u use to change channels

The conversion was possibly on a Drd430 but not a Drd420 as it doesn't use the sti5518 chip.

As long as the STB is not being hacked for theft of service and you own it, I see no reason not to discuss hardware and firmware modifications.

The history of electronic hobbyists is to homebrew and modify. Unfortunately, this is almost a lost art as most want something ready to use right out of the box

RIP Heathkit!!!!! I grew up with a 65 in 1 kit then a 100 in 1 kit from Radio Shack. Now those were fun toys! Found the 100 in 1 kit last week.... Think I'll play with it today!!! Hard to believe that it is 40 years old.....

Last edited:
As long as the STB is not being hacked for theft of service and you own it, I see no reason not to discuss hardware and firmware modifications.

The history of electronic hobbyists is to homebrew and modify. Unfortunately, this is almost a lost art as most want something ready to use right out of the box

RIP Heathkit!!!!! I grew up with a 65 in 1 kit then a 100 in 1 kit from Radio Shack. Now those were fun toys! Found the 100 in 1 kit last week.... Think I'll play with it today!!! Hard to believe that it is 40 years old.....
True that! I had assembled many a Heathkit as a youngster, nothing like that today to entice our youth into experimenting with electronics....kinda sad

Now here is an idea, how about a 4DTV receiver flashed into an azbox .. that would be something since the 4dtv is a door stop now IMHO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts