RCA DTC210 vs Samsung TS360 - Which do I keep?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redhot47fl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2004
OK, so the D* software update of a few weeks ago messed up my Samsung and D* finally sent me the replacement RCA DTC210, which arrived today. In the interim, though, the subsequent software update seemed to fix the Samsung.

Now, I have a Samsung TS360 that seems to work all right and the newly arrived RCA DTC210, and I have to keep one and send the other back to D*.

Is D* trying to standardize things on the DTC210? Which is better? What should I do?

All help appreciated.

I don't like RCA but the TS-360 has had a lot of problems and I can't say that all problems have been cured. I would keep the DTC-210.

Thanks, Boba. Unless others have strong opinions otherwise, I probably will. What don't you like about the RCA? Also, does the Samsung have any features that are missing from the RCA?

redhot47fl said:
Thanks, Boba. Unless others have strong opinions otherwise, I probably will. What don't you like about the RCA? Also, does the Samsung have any features that are missing from the RCA?
I didn't say I don't like the DTC-210 I said I don't like RCA. Over years of experience with electronics I have developed a dislike for the quality of products that bear the RCA Brand. :)

I Have Had The Old Work Horse RCA DTC-100 For Over 4.5 Years Without Any Problems
At All.
It's Old Know & The Hd Colors Are Starting To Fade Compared To My Sony HD200 Or Voom Receiver.
It Looks Like Now The Only Option Is The DTC-210. I Think They Stopped Building The
Samy Or The Hughes.
I Really Want The Hughes (It's The Same as The Sony HD300)

My 360 has been rock solid through all of the software upgrades. Had a few video dropouts now and then and I don't think I have had one since this last upgrade.

For me, the amount of inputs on the 360 would be something I could not live with out. I have a VCR and a Tivo connected to it, and I also have my basic cable going into it. Can the 210 switch like the 360 to different sources? Kind of convenient.

I just shipped my samsung back today. I am so happy that I did. The RCA seems rock-solid so far. :yes

cliffordmarc said:
I just shipped my samsung back today. I am so happy that I did. The RCA seems rock-solid so far. :yes

Did you buy this directly from D*? what was the reasoning for returning it? and how did you get the RCA for sure from D*??

My parents are getting an HD Box from D* on Friday & I'm hoping they won't send the Samsung...

matthpd195 said:
Did you buy this directly from D*? what was the reasoning for returning it? and how did you get the RCA for sure from D*??

My parents are getting an HD Box from D* on Friday & I'm hoping they won't send the Samsung...

would call and try and get the unit replaced. D* was very cool I told them I had a Samsung and then they transferred me to a second level support person and 2 minutes later the guy told me we are sending you a new unit. I had asked him not to send me another Samsung but he told me they have no control. But from I have been hearing on the net. D* is now only sending out the RCA boxes. Good Luck. :yes

just for another opinnion, I love my new RCA. I too had the Sammy 360 and had it replaced via protection plan (see it is worth it :p ). The Rca arrived, had no problems firing it up, as soon as I turned it on, it downloaded a update. Now for the important stuff, picture quality to me is better on both sd and Hd. I for one do enjoy the guide telling me if its 720p or 1080i or 480i. THe remote although bulky and large is nice as I now control my dvd player, tv, and stereo all on it. And one more stupid thing, this does look really nice side by side with my rca tivo! enjoy you guys,

is HD Baseball really over--OH NO!! now we must wait till football is over I guess although I did see basketball games scheduled for 97!

Tonedeaf said:
My 360 has been rock solid through all of the software upgrades. Had a few video dropouts now and then and I don't think I have had one since this last upgrade.

For me, the amount of inputs on the 360 would be something I could not live with out. I have a VCR and a Tivo connected to it, and I also have my basic cable going into it. Can the 210 switch like the 360 to different sources? Kind of convenient.

1 more thing I like about the 360 is the Digital Coax output in addition to the optical.

On My Sony HD200 You Can Either Have Black Bars Or Gray Bars. On My RCA DTC100 You Only Have Gray Bars.
Can The New RCA & Sammy Do The Same.

I Ask This Because I Need Another D* HD Stb & I Don't Like The Gray Bars, I Prefer The Black Bars.

I thought someone else posted only the RCA was a "current" D* HD receiver, the Sony, LG, Samsung, and Hughes models all being 'discontinued'.

I just picked up a Hughes HTL-HD (new, unopened) on clearance for $250, but I was specifically looking for that model as I wanted the serial control port and the new RCA doesn't seem to have one from the PDF manuals I've been able to see on the internet. (I'm one of those Home Theater PC junkies doing PVR on my computer, and serial channel changing control is more reliable than IR retransmitting or remote macros)

Yup, the rca dtc 210 is the only reciever directv is sending out now,

I called to order a new reciever today, and i asked them which reciever they are sending me. and they told me that all they send out is the rca dtc210 now.

so say bye bye to samsung and Hughes HTL-HD :)

From what I have read all "branded receivers" are being phased out and D* will be marketing their only lable. Do I assume RCA will be their maker?

RCA is a re-label company. The box may look different, but the internals are built by others. The DTC-210 is manuf'd by Samsung for RCA, it is the TS-160 with some feature improvements less games. It's life will end some time next Spring when D* brings their generic HD label to market. Determining the manuf of the new D* label receivers, will be interesting.

D*'s relationship with Samsung is stressed at this point over customer issues with both the TS-160 & 360, and Samsung is not pleased that they entered into a contract with Wink in 2000 to deliver enabled receivers, to have D* pull the service. You may have also noticed that D* has downplayed their partnership list since Sept and I forecast changes or additions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts