Re-dying leather furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Anybody here have any experience in refinishing and re-dying leather furniture? We have a sectional sofa that is still in nice condition padding wise, but the leather is showing its age. Color is fading and looking worn. I want to re-do it, but I'm wondering if I should try this myself, or should I live this to the experts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That title was a typo, Yaz, but that is an interesting idea! Not so sure how Cheryl will feel about the tie-dye look. I'm currently going through brain reconstruction. I fried through the old one.
Anyhow, thanks Van. I read through that already. I was hoping somebody here had attempted this and could give me some first hand insight into whether this was worthwhile or not as a DIY project.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, you could try to find a free or cheap leather recliner on craigslist and use it as a test bed.

Would a polish of some sort work, similar to what you'd use to polish leather shoes?

If not, another option would be to just get a slip cover.

The sectional is not that bad. I just want to return it to what it used to look like. Actually, a dark blue or black would be even better. I will probably try Van's idea, but I was hoping somebody had done this, and could give me some experienced guidance, so I could avoid mistakes. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)