re-install simple questions

EricBenafucci

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Bronx
I had to move and brought the DISH with me. The old and functioning set up was a DISH HD connected to the receiver with a single cable. When the cable reached the VIP612 receiver, it went into a SEPARATOR which hooked into SAT ! and SAT 2 jacks. So in my new installation I hooked everything up the same. Now it comes time to point the dish. It seems the separator kills the voltage to my $10 sat finder. It seems that only Sat 2 jack has voltage out for the sat finder. Fine, so I started by just using a single cable on Sat 2 to point the dish. I got EchoStar 110 just fine. I got 77 percent signal strength on the TV. I could not get the receiver to pass any programming. So, I removed the sat finder, connected the single cable back to the separator and then still no programming. Can any kind person tell me what I'm doing wrong?????

If the separator is killing the voltage to your meter, it is also killing the voltage to your LNB. It sounds like either your separator died when you moved it, or you may have a bad cable/connector. Look at your wire connecters carefully for a stray piece of wire from the shield that is touching the center wire.

I had to move and brought the DISH with me. The old and functioning set up was a DISH HD connected to the receiver with a single cable. When the cable reached the VIP612 receiver, it went into a SEPARATOR which hooked into SAT ! and SAT 2 jacks. So in my new installation I hooked everything up the same. Now it comes time to point the dish. It seems the separator kills the voltage to my $10 sat finder. It seems that only Sat 2 jack has voltage out for the sat finder. Fine, so I started by just using a single cable on Sat 2 to point the dish. I got EchoStar 110 just fine. I got 77 percent signal strength on the TV. I could not get the receiver to pass any programming. So, I removed the sat finder, connected the single cable back to the separator and then still no programming. Can any kind person tell me what I'm doing wrong?????
The inexpensive satellite meters will respond to whatever signal it receives so you need to verify the satellite with the receiver before peaking. The receiver will select the satellite sent down the cable based on what channel you are watching or the satellite/transponder you select in the Point Dish screen. Don't forget there are actually two signals sent over a single coax via frequency stacking and I don't know how the meter will respond.

You could be receiving 110 on the wrong LNB. You want 119 on the center LNB. Cover the outer two LNBs and move the dish until you get 119. Uncover the other two LNBs and verify you have all three satellites. Peak as necessary. Then do a check switch.

If all else fails, sign up for the protection plan and have Dish Network come out and point your dish.

If the separator is killing the voltage to your meter, it is also killing the voltage to your LNB. It sounds like either your separator died when you moved it, or you may have a bad cable/connector. Look at your wire connecters carefully for a stray piece of wire from the shield that is touching the center wire.

The DPP separator only passes voltage through the SAT 1 output.

When using a cheap meter you have to use the three separate ports from the LNB to find each sat. Port 1 is 77/119, Port 2 is 72.7/110, Port 3 is 61.5/129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts