RE: [VOOM] voom reciever problems

benzbill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
lockport,il
voom reciever problems

:mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had problems 12 out of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it works good for the most part i love the picture quality but this service is extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls already for the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told i mite have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t doesnt work & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the complaints on this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box cures the problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves aknowledged other people also having similar problems thanks for listning to my venting Bill

Yes they do have some problems with the box needing to be rebooted. I would say like 2X - 3 X a month. I also have a Sammy 360 D* and that also from time to time needs to be rebooted and freezes. Like 2X a month...

i wish it was only 2 - 3 times a month i have rebooted aprox 10 times in 2 weeks though holding out hope a new box will give better results

I had to reboot mine a few times when I first got it. But I figured out that if I left it turned off overnight, the guide info would download completely and then I had no problems. I've had mine 2 weeks as of today and only rebooted both boxes 3 times within the first 3 days each before I figured out the solution. However I have another problem in that the installer didnt tighten down my dish and its blowing around on my roof like a bobblehead. Yesterday was too cold and windy so today I'm going up to fix it. I didnt even call Voom about it. No need for them to waste more money on a service call when its not a big deal for me to fix it.

Do you have a phone line plugged into it? If so, unplug it, then unplug the
power, wait 1 minute and turn it back on.

HTH,

Robert Heitner Jr.
Data Developers Plus, Corp.
<blocked::http://www.ddpcorp.com> http://www.ddpcorp.com

Home of the #1 Contact Management Solution!
<blocked::BLOCKED::http://www.riatacrm.com/> http://www.riatacrm.com

_____

Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 10:30 AM
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [VOOM] voom reciever problems

i wish it was only 2 - 3 times a month i have rebooted aprox 10 times in
2 weeks though holding out hope a new box will give better results

--
benzbill
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by benzbill

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129533jpt/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705036932:HM/EXP=1103996758/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ictkr12/*http://clk.
atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103910358780520>
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129533jpt/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705036932:HM/EXP=1103996758/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ictkr12/*http://clk.
atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103910358780520>

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

<http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=11039103
58780520>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2343726/rand=948761825>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

* To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/EyMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

VOOM works SMASHINGLY when properly installed.

I'll say this again...the vast majority of problems are being caused by poor VOOM installation; the installers either don't know how to properly install VOOM components and/or really don't care if they know how to install the VOOM components correctly. It's just that simply! The sooner VOOM takes control of the installation process, the better.

I feel for all of you...I really do! But please understand that while VOOM is ultimately responsible (i.e. your continued business) for your experience, these problems are largely due to independent installers not completing a professional installation in accordance to well-defined terms and agreed upon standards. Your installers are sucking arse all over your homes...and you let them!!! Check their SBCA certification - ask if they've been to VOOM training - ask how many VOOM installs they have completed - ask how many VOOM de-installs they have completed. CLUE: If they speak negatively about VOOM, try to get you to sign-up for D* or E* or tell you he or she will be back in a month to pick up the equipment...call VOOM and request another installer. Don't hesitate to report these individuals (and any other installer misconduct) directly to VOOM. Likewise, if your installation experience was a good one, don't hesitate to tell VOOM you want this individual to continue to install and service VOOM systems in your area.

FYI, I had my service reinstalled this morning in order to take advantage of VOOM's current New Customer Promotion offer. Ok, we don't even want to get started down this path...except to say that VOOM Corporate overnighted two additional receivers to make this happen. I personally talked to (interviewed) my installer twice prior to the install and, to put things into simple terms, this guy passed the VOOM sniff test: he knew his VOOM ABCs, he is doing nothing but new VOOM installs in Northern Virginia and fixing botched VOOM installs all the way into Maryland and Pennsylvania. During the install he shared with me a number of seriously disturbing stories regarding the S&(7 he sees being passed off as "Professional Installation."

1. Lot's of multi-room systems with only one (1) cable ran from the LNB to the multiswitch. Hmmm. What's wrong with this picture? You may wish to check this one, but how is the average Joe going to know?

2. OTA problems galore. Of course, regardless of your location VOOM seems to insist that the installer first attempt to receive an adequate signal regarding their location. NTB!

3. Improper use/application of diplexers, mutiswitches, reuse of 20 year old RG-59, etc. make up the bulk of the other problems.

Anyway, when the installer departed both new receivers were downloading to 7.26, which took about 1/2 hour. Your installer should not leave without your downloading 7.26 and having adequate signal levels for satellite and local OTA. Don't sign the paperwork if you're receiving anything less. Of course, once again how is Joe Blow supposed know all this without having visited the VOOM Forum? :confused: Afterward, I placed the receivers on channel 100 and turned them both off - 20 minutes later the PGs were fully up and operational. The two new receivers are connected to new HDTV sets (less than 3 months old) and everything is working SMASHINGLY. I tuned the receiver settings, did a quick calibration on the specific VOOM input setting on the sets, programmed the Universal Remote and have been using all three sets since early this morning. Check this out:

-NO LOCK UPS
-NO FREEZES
-NO NOTHING OTHER THAN VA VA VOOM
-SATELLITE SIGNAL 96 UNDER CLOUDY SKIES
-LOCAL OTA SIGNALS FOR 3 DMA INTO THE 90s

For those who say, "I wish VOOM allowed self installs." Honestly, you can pretty much install all your crap yourself if you wish. Really! Run your own cables (separate satellite and OTA if you wish), use your own connectors, prewire your faceplates and use your own OTA if you wish. My old receiver rarely had a problem and my other receivers are working as advertised - just need to be PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED!!! No problems:

Mitsubish RPTV CRT (component) - works just fine with VOOM receiver
Sony RPTV LED (HDMI-DVI) - works just fine with VOOM receiver
Samsung Dyna-Flat CRT (DVI-DVI) - works just fine with VOOM receiver

VOOM WORKS SMASHINGLY WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED

Riff...<EOT>

P.S. VOOM software will (each and every version) will cause individualized problems. However, there are work arounds for many of these problems (read this Forum), but I had too had problems with 7.0b while others did not. Having said that...STILL, most of the problems I have seen are installer related. Until VOOM gets a better handle on the install process (they are getting much better BTW), it's up to you to screen your specific installer and help guide them in any way possible.

P.S.S. My installer is installing a butt-load of VOOM systems! :) He is also one of the preferred installers who is unF^@(ing poor VOOM installs in the area. VOOM is paying some of these people to work in multiple states.

[VOOM] Hey, benzbill, can certainly sympathize with your problems and ...

would be as pissed off as you in your shoes. We've been there having
been with VOOM for over a year. That said, pin down your service
provider (Installs, Inc.?), demand the phone # of your local installer
and make sure he has the new STB in hand before setting up an appointment.

It will get better. We watched an absolutely stunning program on
Equator last night with video from different parts of the world. Have
not seen a better picture. And "The Santa Clause" on ABC via OTA
earlier in the evening was almost as good in quality with the surround
sound being up there with the best.

We had friends over for dinner and wine last Sunday and the talk
turned to movies and we mentioned VOOM while talking about the pull
down screen and the small little projector box (a DLP unit). Asked
them if they wanted to see it and they said sure. Once the picture
was up they were going "ooh" and "ahh"--the general "wow" factor.
They simply had a hard time believing their eyes. They said that it
was better than being in a theater.

Watching HDTV under very foggy Seattle skies (and with our new 24"
upgraded antenna-YES), Gill

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, benzbill <satguys2004@y...> wrote:
>
> :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had problems 12 out
> of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it works
> good for the most part i love the picture quality but this service is
> extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls already for
> the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told i mite
> have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t doesnt work
> & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the complaints on
> this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box cures the
> problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves aknowledged
> other people also having similar problems thanks for listning to my
> venting Bill
>
>
> --
> benzbill
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by benzbill

Yahoo! Groups Links

riffjim4069 said:
I'll say this again...the vast majority of problems are being caused by poor VOOM installation; the installers either don't know how to properly install VOOM components and/or really don't care if they know how to install the VOOM components correctly. It's just that simply! The sooner VOOM takes control of the installation process, the better.

I feel for all of you...I really do! But please understand that while VOOM is ultimately responsible (i.e. your continued business) for your experience, these problems are largely due to independent installers not completing a professional installation in accordance to well-defined terms and agreed upon standards. Your installers are sucking arse all over your homes...and you let them!!! Check their SBCA certification - ask if they've been to VOOM training - ask how many VOOM installs they have completed - ask how many VOOM de-installs they have completed. CLUE: If they speak negatively about VOOM, try to get you to sign-up for D* or E* or tell you he or she will be back in a month to pick up the equipment...call VOOM and request another installer. Don't hesitate to report these individuals (and any other installer misconduct) directly to VOOM. Likewise, if your installation experience was a good one, don't hesitate to tell VOOM you want this individual to continue to install and service VOOM systems in your area.

FYI, I had my service reinstalled this morning in order to take advantage of VOOM's current New Customer Promotion offer. Ok, we don't even want to get started down this path...except to say that VOOM Corporate overnighted two additional receivers to make this happen. I personally talked to (interviewed) my installer twice prior to the install and, to put things into simple terms, this guy passed the VOOM sniff test: he knew his VOOM ABCs, he is doing nothing but new VOOM installs in Northern Virginia and fixing botched VOOM installs all the way into Maryland and Pennsylvania. During the install he shared with me a number of seriously disturbing stories regarding the S&(7 he sees being passed off as "Professional Installation."

1. Lot's of multi-room systems with only one (1) cable ran from the LNB to the multiswitch. Hmmm. What's wrong with this picture? You may wish to check this one, but how is the average Joe going to know?

2. OTA problems galore. Of course, regardless of your location VOOM seems to insist that the installer first attempt to receive an adequate signal regarding their location. NTB!

3. Improper use/application of diplexers, mutiswitches, reuse of 20 year old RG-59, etc. make up the bulk of the other problems.

Anyway, when the installer departed both new receivers were downloading to 7.26, which took about 1/2 hour. Your installer should not leave without your downloading 7.26 and having adequate signal levels for satellite and local OTA. Don't sign the paperwork if you're receiving anything less. Of course, once again how is Joe Blow supposed know all this without having visited the VOOM Forum? :confused: Afterward, I placed the receivers on channel 100 and turned them both off - 20 minutes later the PGs were fully up and operational. The two new receivers are connected to new HDTV sets (less than 3 months old) and everything is working SMASHINGLY. I tuned the receiver settings, did a quick calibration on the specific VOOM input setting on the sets, programmed the Universal Remote and have been using all three sets since early this morning. Check this out:

-NO LOCK UPS
-NO FREEZES
-NO NOTHING OTHER THAN VA VA VOOM
-SATELLITE SIGNAL 96 UNDER CLOUDY SKIES
-LOCAL OTA SIGNALS FOR 3 DMA INTO THE 90s

For those who say, "I wish VOOM allowed self installs." Honestly, you can pretty much install all your crap yourself if you wish. Really! Run your own cables (separate satellite and OTA if you wish), use your own connectors, prewire your faceplates and use your own OTA if you wish. My old receiver rarely had a problem and my other receivers are working as advertised - just need to be PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED!!! No problems:

Mitsubish RPTV CRT (component) - works just fine with VOOM receiver
Sony RPTV LED (HDMI-DVI) - works just fine with VOOM receiver
Samsung Dyna-Flat CRT (DVI-DVI) - works just fine with VOOM receiver

Riff...<EOT>

P.S. VOOM software will (each and every version) will cause individualized problems. However, there are work arounds for many of these problems (read this Forum), but I had too had problems with 7.0b while others did not. Having said that...STILL, most of the problems I have seen are installer related. Until VOOM gets a better handle on the install process (they are getting much better BTW), it's up to you to screen your specific installer and help guide them in any way possible.

P.S.S. My installer is installing a butt-load of VOOM systems! :) He is also one of the preferred installers who is unF^@(ing poor VOOM installs in the area. VOOM is paying some of these people to work in multiple states.
my problems are not install related i had direct for a year no problem voom just swapped dishes there is brand new quad 6 cable home run from dish to reciever i installed cable for 7 years .i have 97 signal strength i just hope its a flakey box but it seams people are all having similar problems box is plugged into phone line & is turned off every nite doesnt help hopefully a new reciever will fix the problem But yes the picture is perfect

benzbill said:
my problems are not install related i had direct for a year no problem voom just swapped dishes there is brand new quad 6 cable home run from dish to reciever i installed cable for 7 years .i have 97 signal strength i just hope its a flakey box but it seams people are all having similar problems box is plugged into phone line & is turned off every nite doesnt help hopefully a new reciever will fix the problem But yes the picture is perfect
I am certainly not trying to make light of your situation or those who are having receivers problems since I too have had them after certain firmware updates - I'm just trying to point out that the majority of problems are, in fact, installer related. Anyway, there is indeed a problem with 7.26, but unpluging the phone will solve most problems. Additionally, I've heard there is a batch or two or bad receivers out there, but almost none of these have been received in my region; also, VOOM is aware of these bad receivers and should not activate them. If you're having ongoing issues then perhaps a new receivers will correct your troubles. If people are continuing to have ongoing issue, and you do not feel they are being resolved in a timely fasion, you should send an e-mail to Wilt.

I have seen lots of problems with VOOM policies and business practices, but time-and-time-again I have seen their equipment work as advertised---for the most part---when properly installed. Personally, I have visited 5 VOOM installation sites in the area and the two that were properly installed worked and the three that were improperly installed smelled like rotten garbage - pretty picture, but still stunk!

Anyway, I hope your get your receiver issues squared-away soon.

Bill,

Hopefully you can get a new box soon. If you've got 7.26 software and
still having this problem, I suspect the hardware.

Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than the
two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber. Just to let
everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll share
my positive story...

My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th. The
Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could come
first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled. This
was perfect for me so I said yes. He showed up about 10 am (after
calling from his cell phone to tell me he was caught in traffic and
wouldn't be there "first thing" like he anticipated).

After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV dish
high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder). I
realize this made his life easier as he could use the wiring, but
still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been there
since we bought the house (our DISH install was located elsewhere).

He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my DISH
install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable out
will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back. We initiated my
service and programmed my OTA channels. The installer packed up all
his equipment and ladders etc. onto the truck and came in for me to
sign the final paperwork. It was then that I pointed out that I
wasn't getting consistent over-the-air reception.

The installer unpacked everything and went back to troubleshooting,
eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical unit.
This seemed to do the trick and we were up and running.

The first day I experienced two problems. The first was that the box
locked up on a bunch of the channels. I got online and chatted with
CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way). After a
couple of minutes of chatting online about this and an overscan
problem I was noticing with my TV, the CSR called me to follow up.
The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing the
7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight. The
overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't help me
with that.

I fixed the overscan problem with a Sound & Vision Home Theater
Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight. The
overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I watched
WorldSport which was putting the scoreboard bug way out towards the
perimeter of the screen that I actually noticed the issue.

Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded overnight.
I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted with
Voom again over the web. They told me it takes a while after a reboot
to load the data. I had assumed the box rebooted after the software
upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it). Sure
enough, 45-60 mintues later, I had program data.

I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th. I did not plug
in a phone line under the advice of those here, so I don't have to
deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users. During this
time, I've had two problems. The first was a a case of channel
"blackouts" in the 100s range. While some channels came in fine,
others went dark. A soft reboot fixed this immediately. The second
minor issue was a few pixelations during a moderate rainstorm.
However, I never lost the signal (which routinely happened with my
DISH installation).

For those keeping score at home, I also have Time Warner Cable.
During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom installed. I
have had the following problems with Time Warner:

1) My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
unexplicably. It would record for about 20 seconds on a program and
then stop. I missed several of my favorite programs because of this.
It turned out that the unit was not automatically deleting files to
increase the free space for recording. I had to manually delete a few
programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a solution
that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted to
change my box out.

2) My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out. A soft reboot
fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't notice it
for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just blank
hard drive space.

3) I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation on
my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and watching HD
on another channel. This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
going on for months since I got the box. Time Warner has no fix for
this.

4) The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio output
on the HD-DVR drops out continuously while watching HD programming
live or during recorded playback making it virtually an unusable
feature of the DVR.

So, I'd say that although TimeWarner may offer a few more
technological perks, I'm having as many, if not more, problems with
their service than I have had with Voom. I know many have suffered
through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my experience
has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I anticipated.

Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would know
it's not all negative.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had problems 12 out
> of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it works
> good for the most part i love the picture quality but this service is
> extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls already for
> the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told i mite
> have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t doesnt work
> & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the complaints on
> this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box cures the
> problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves aknowledged
> other people also having similar problems thanks for listning to my
> venting Bill
>
>
> --
> benzbill
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by benzbill
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
>
> Get unlimited calls to
>
> U.S./Canada
>
> ________________________________
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

--
Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell? Now there's a frood who
really knows where his towel is!

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/EyMolB/TM

Yahoo! Groups Links

riffjim4069 said:

Anyway, when the installer departed both new receivers were downloading to 7.26, which took about 1/2 hour. Your installer should not leave without your downloading 7.26 and having adequate signal levels for satellite and local OTA. Don't sign the paperwork if you're receiving anything less.
Didn't you just break your own rule if you let the installer leave before the boxes completely downloaded the new firmware? How did you know everything was going to work once the firmware was downloaded? What about a case where the system is not working right and the installer says you need to download the new firmware? Shouldn't you make him stay until the download and program guide are working?

jnardone said:
riffjim4069 said:

Anyway, when the installer departed both new receivers were downloading to 7.26, which took about 1/2 hour. Your installer should not leave without your downloading 7.26 and having adequate signal levels for satellite and local OTA. Don't sign the paperwork if you're receiving anything less.
Didn't you just break your own rule if you let the installer leave before the boxes completely downloaded the new firmware? How did you know everything was going to work once the firmware was downloaded? What about a case where the system is not working right and the installer says you need to download the new firmware? Shouldn't you make him stay until the download and program guide are working?
You caught me...I'm not too bright. :no What I meant to say was don't let 'em leave with out 7.26 downloading...not downloaded. :) I wouldn't sign the work order until they have completed work to your level of satisfaction. Personally, I would have been happy if the installer had just dropped off the receiver and cable, but I just have to make sure the receivers are working.

I'm out of here for a couple days of R & R. Merry Christmas et al.

Re: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

here's the "forced" download method and may the force be with you!

Date:=A0 Sat=A0Nov=A027,=A02004=A0 12:21 pm
Subject:=A0 Re: [VOOM] Re: Caller ID with new updated software! Wilt can =
=20
you help

You have the ability to "force" the update immediately.

Follow this:

on the remote press:
Voom-see options and settings bottom right-press green button-see
system settings bottom right-press green button again-see system
settings-press #7 installer menu-see installer menu-press #1
installation wizard-see installation steps press #7 verify Voom-see
Installation Step 7-Verify Voom-see bottom right continue-press green
button-small window will pop up -select update now

I did this the other day when I realized the update was coming and I
wanted to monitor the whole process. The total time for the download
was 19 minutes 59 seconds.

On Dec 25, 2004, at 10:23 AM, thegrod wrote:

> All,
> I read somewhere at one time, maybe on the Satellite Guys forum that =

=20
> there
> is a way to force a software download.=A0 Anyone know how?=A0 I am tryin=

g=20=20
> an
> experiment to software update an unauthorized receiver for OTA only.=A0 =

=20
> As
> many of you may know VOOM will not easily authorize Receivers not=20=20
> purchased
> from them even if they were purchased legitimately as in from a=20=20
> former VOOM
> subscriber who purchased his equipment rather than leasing it.=A0 There =

=20
> have
> been numerous instances where they have allowed authorization of such =

=20
> but I
> have never found the magic words.=A0 I think it is because I lease and =

=20
> their
> system does not allow you to combine leased and owned gear.
> Anyway, VOOM's receivers are fine for OTA and I would like to use my =

=20
> extra
> one for this purpose but I need to get the latest software to=20=20
> download to
> it.=A0 Of course it will not work for VOOM programming without=20=20
> authorization
> but I just want the OTA side for this one.=A0 I only have one HDTV=20=20
> anyway.
> If anyone knows how to force the software update please let me know.=A0 =

=20
> Thanks
> all and have a great Holiday season watching VOOM!
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "seattlesatelliter" <seattlesatelliter@yahoo.com>
> To: <VOOM@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 9:09 PM
> Subject: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems
>
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Bill, for posting your experience.=A0 You had a few problems =

=20
> and
> > got them fixed.
> >
> > Yep, we're had our share of problems but have gotten all of them=20=20

> fixed
> > except the lockups under 7.26 but have been promised this will be
> > solved by a new download in the near future.
> >
> > Listening to music (hey, I'm an audio nut as well) instead of=20=20

> watching
> > HDTV under lowering (rain promised for Christmas!) Seattle skies,=20=20

> Gill
> >
> >
> > --- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, Jarrett Campbell <jarrett@e...> wrote:
> >> Bill,
> >>
> >> Hopefully you can get a new box soon.=A0 If you've got 7.26 software =

=20
> and
> >> still having this problem, I suspect the hardware.
> >>
> >> Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than=20=20

> the
> >> two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber.=A0 Just to let
> >> everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll=20=20

> share
> >> my positive story...
> >>
> >> My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th.=A0 The
> >> Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could=20=20

> come
> >> first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled.=A0 =

=20
> This
> >> was perfect for me so I said yes.=A0 He showed up about 10 am (after
> >> calling from his cell phone to tell me he was caught in traffic and
> >> wouldn't be there "first thing" like he anticipated).
> >>
> >> After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV =

=20
> dish
> >> high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder).=A0 I
> >> realize this made his life easier as he could use the wiring, but
> >> still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been=20=20

> there
> >> since we bought the house (our DISH install was located elsewhere).
> >>
> >> He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my=20=20

> DISH
> >> install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable=20=20

> out
> >> will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back.=A0 We initiated my
> >> service and programmed my OTA channels.=A0 The installer packed up =

=20
> all
> >> his equipment and ladders etc. onto the truck and came in for me to
> >> sign the final paperwork.=A0 It was then that I pointed out that I
> >> wasn't getting consistent over-the-air reception.
> >>
> >> The installer unpacked everything and went back to troubleshooting,
> >> eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical=20=20

> unit.
> >> This seemed to do the trick and we were up and running.
> >>
> >> The first day I experienced two problems.=A0 The first was that the =

=20
> box
> >> locked up on a bunch of the channels.=A0 I got online and chatted =

=20
> with
> >> CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way).=A0 After a
> >> couple of minutes of chatting online about this and an overscan
> >> problem I was noticing with my TV, the CSR called me to follow up.
> >> The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing =

=20
> the
> >> 7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight.=A0 The
> >> overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't=20=20

> help me
> >> with that.
> >>
> >> I fixed the overscan problem with a Sound & Vision Home Theater
> >> Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight.=A0 The
> >> overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I=20=20

> watched
> >> WorldSport which was putting the scoreboard bug way out towards the
> >> perimeter of the screen that I actually noticed the issue.
> >>
> >> Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded=20=20

> overnight.
> >>=A0 I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted =

=20
> with
> >> Voom again over the web.=A0 They told me it takes a while after a =

=20
> reboot
> >> to load the data.=A0 I had assumed the box rebooted after the=20=20

> software
> >> upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it).=A0 Sure
> >> enough, 45-60 mintues later, I had program data.
> >>
> >> I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th.=A0 I did not =

=20
> plug
> >> in a phone line under the advice of those here, so I don't have to
> >> deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users.=A0 During =

=20
> this
> >> time, I've had two problems.=A0 The first was a a case of channel
> >> "blackouts" in the 100s range. While some channels came in fine,
> >> others went dark.=A0 A soft reboot fixed this immediately.=A0 The =

=20
> second
> >> minor issue was a few pixelations during a moderate rainstorm.
> >> However, I never lost the signal (which routinely happened with my
> >> DISH installation).
> >>
> >> For those keeping score at home, I also have Time Warner Cable.
> >> During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom=20=20

> installed.=A0 I
> >> have had the following problems with Time Warner:
> >>
> >> 1)=A0 My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
> >> unexplicably.=A0 It would record for about 20 seconds on a program =

=20
> and
> >> then stop.=A0 I missed several of my favorite programs because of =

=20
> this.
> >> It turned out that the unit was not automatically deleting files to
> >> increase the free space for recording.=A0 I had to manually delete a =

=20
> few
> >> programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a=20=20

> solution
> >> that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted =

=20
> to
> >> change my box out.
> >>
> >> 2)=A0 My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
> >> problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out.=A0 A soft reboot
> >> fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't=20=20

> notice it
> >> for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just=20=20

> blank
> >> hard drive space.
> >>
> >> 3)=A0 I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation =

=20
> on
> >> my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and=20=20

> watching HD
> >> on another channel.=A0 This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
> >> going on for months since I got the box.=A0 Time Warner has no fix =

=20
> for
> >> this.
> >>
> >> 4)=A0 The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio=20=20

> output
> >> on the HD-DVR drops out continuously while watching HD programming
> >> live or during recorded playback making it virtually an unusable
> >> feature of the DVR.
> >>
> >> So, I'd say that although TimeWarner may offer a few more
> >> technological perks, I'm having as many, if not more, problems with
> >> their service than I have had with Voom.=A0 I know many have suffered
> >> through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my=20=20

> experience
> >> has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I=20=20

> anticipated.
> >>
> >> Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would =

=20
> know
> >> it's not all negative.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@y...>=20=20

> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >=A0 :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had=20=20

> problems
> > 12 out
> >> >=A0 of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> >> >=A0 up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> >> >=A0 channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> >> >=A0 etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it

> > works
> >> >=A0 good for the most part i love the picture quality but this=20=20

> service is
> >> >=A0 extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls

> > already for
> >> >=A0 the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told =

=20
> i
> > mite
> >> >=A0 have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t=20=20

> doesnt
> > work
> >> >=A0 & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the

> > complaints on
> >> >=A0 this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box=20=20

> cures the
> >> >=A0 problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves

> > aknowledged
> >> >=A0 other people also having similar problems thanks for listning =

=20
> to my
> >> >=A0 venting Bill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >=A0 --
> >> >=A0 benzbill
> >> >

> >=20=20

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=20
> -
> >> >=A0 This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by=20=20

> benzbill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >=A0 Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Get unlimited calls to
> >> >
> >> > U.S./Canada
> >> >
> >> >=A0 ________________________________
> >> >=A0 Yahoo! Groups Links
> >> >
> >> > To visit your group on the web, go to:
> >> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/
> >> >
> >> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >> > VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> >> >
> >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of=20=20

> Service.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell?=A0 Now there's a frood =

=20
> who
> >> really knows where his towel is!

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
> ADVERTISEMENT
> <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
> <l.gif>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> =95 To visit your group on the web, go to:
> =A0
> =95 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> =A0
> =95 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of=20=20
> Service.
>
>=20=20

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->=20
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->=20

=20
Yahoo! Groups Links

=20

All,
I read somewhere at one time, maybe on the Satellite Guys forum that there
is a way to force a software download. Anyone know how? I am trying an
experiment to software update an unauthorized receiver for OTA only. As
many of you may know VOOM will not easily authorize Receivers not purchased
from them even if they were purchased legitimately as in from a former VOOM
subscriber who purchased his equipment rather than leasing it. There have
been numerous instances where they have allowed authorization of such but I
have never found the magic words. I think it is because I lease and their
system does not allow you to combine leased and owned gear.
Anyway, VOOM's receivers are fine for OTA and I would like to use my extra
one for this purpose but I need to get the latest software to download to
it. Of course it will not work for VOOM programming without authorization
but I just want the OTA side for this one. I only have one HDTV anyway.
If anyone knows how to force the software update please let me know. Thanks
all and have a great Holiday season watching VOOM!
----- Original Message -----
To: <VOOM@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 9:09 PM
Subject: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

>
>
> Thanks, Bill, for posting your experience. You had a few problems and
> got them fixed.
>
> Yep, we're had our share of problems but have gotten all of them fixed
> except the lockups under 7.26 but have been promised this will be
> solved by a new download in the near future.
>
> Listening to music (hey, I'm an audio nut as well) instead of watching
> HDTV under lowering (rain promised for Christmas!) Seattle skies, Gill
>
>
> --- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, Jarrett Campbell <jarrett@e...> wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> Hopefully you can get a new box soon. If you've got 7.26 software and
>> still having this problem, I suspect the hardware.
>>
>> Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than the
>> two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber. Just to let
>> everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll share
>> my positive story...
>>
>> My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th. The
>> Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could come
>> first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled. This
>> was perfect for me so I said yes. He showed up about 10 am (after
>> calling from his cell phone to tell me he was caught in traffic and
>> wouldn't be there "first thing" like he anticipated).
>>
>> After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV dish
>> high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder). I
>> realize this made his life easier as he could use the wiring, but
>> still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been there
>> since we bought the house (our DISH install was located elsewhere).
>>
>> He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my DISH
>> install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable out
>> will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back. We initiated my
>> service and programmed my OTA channels. The installer packed up all
>> his equipment and ladders etc. onto the truck and came in for me to
>> sign the final paperwork. It was then that I pointed out that I
>> wasn't getting consistent over-the-air reception.
>>
>> The installer unpacked everything and went back to troubleshooting,
>> eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical unit.
>> This seemed to do the trick and we were up and running.
>>
>> The first day I experienced two problems. The first was that the box
>> locked up on a bunch of the channels. I got online and chatted with
>> CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way). After a
>> couple of minutes of chatting online about this and an overscan
>> problem I was noticing with my TV, the CSR called me to follow up.
>> The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing the
>> 7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight. The
>> overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't help me
>> with that.
>>
>> I fixed the overscan problem with a Sound & Vision Home Theater
>> Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight. The
>> overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I watched
>> WorldSport which was putting the scoreboard bug way out towards the
>> perimeter of the screen that I actually noticed the issue.
>>
>> Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded overnight.
>> I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted with
>> Voom again over the web. They told me it takes a while after a reboot
>> to load the data. I had assumed the box rebooted after the software
>> upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it). Sure
>> enough, 45-60 mintues later, I had program data.
>>
>> I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th. I did not plug
>> in a phone line under the advice of those here, so I don't have to
>> deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users. During this
>> time, I've had two problems. The first was a a case of channel
>> "blackouts" in the 100s range. While some channels came in fine,
>> others went dark. A soft reboot fixed this immediately. The second
>> minor issue was a few pixelations during a moderate rainstorm.
>> However, I never lost the signal (which routinely happened with my
>> DISH installation).
>>
>> For those keeping score at home, I also have Time Warner Cable.
>> During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom installed. I
>> have had the following problems with Time Warner:
>>
>> 1) My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
>> unexplicably. It would record for about 20 seconds on a program and
>> then stop. I missed several of my favorite programs because of this.
>> It turned out that the unit was not automatically deleting files to
>> increase the free space for recording. I had to manually delete a few
>> programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a solution
>> that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted to
>> change my box out.
>>
>> 2) My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
>> problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out. A soft reboot
>> fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't notice it
>> for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just blank
>> hard drive space.
>>
>> 3) I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation on
>> my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and watching HD
>> on another channel. This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
>> going on for months since I got the box. Time Warner has no fix for
>> this.
>>
>> 4) The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio output
>> on the HD-DVR drops out continuously while watching HD programming
>> live or during recorded playback making it virtually an unusable
>> feature of the DVR.
>>
>> So, I'd say that although TimeWarner may offer a few more
>> technological perks, I'm having as many, if not more, problems with
>> their service than I have had with Voom. I know many have suffered
>> through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my experience
>> has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I anticipated.
>>
>> Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would know
>> it's not all negative.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@y...> wrote:
>> >
>> > :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had problems

> 12 out
>> > of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
>> > up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
>> > channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
>> > etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it

> works
>> > good for the most part i love the picture quality but this service is
>> > extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls

> already for
>> > the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told i

> mite
>> > have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t doesnt

> work
>> > & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the

> complaints on
>> > this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box cures the
>> > problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves

> aknowledged
>> > other people also having similar problems thanks for listning to my
>> > venting Bill
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > benzbill
>> >

>> > This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by benzbill
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>> >
>> >
>> > Get unlimited calls to
>> >
>> > U.S./Canada
>> >
>> > ________________________________
>> > Yahoo! Groups Links
>> >
>> > To visit your group on the web, go to:
>> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>> > VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>> >
>> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

>>
>>
>> --
>> Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell? Now there's a frood who
>> really knows where his towel is!

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Yahoo! Groups Links

HAH!
Bobblehead sat dish. Is that a give away at a basketball game?
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 12:05 PM
Subject: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

I had to reboot mine a few times when I first got it. But I figured out
that if I left it turned off overnight, the guide info would download
completely and then I had no problems. I've had mine 2 weeks as of
today and only rebooted both boxes 3 times within the first 3 days each
before I figured out the solution. However I have another problem in
that the installer didnt tighten down my dish and its blowing around on
my roof like a bobblehead. Yesterday was too cold and windy so today I'm
going up to fix it. I didnt even call Voom about it. No need for them to
waste more money on a service call when its not a big deal for me to fix
it.

--
VegasVoomer
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by VegasVoomer

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Grod, are you also in the 4DTV forum?

> All,
> I read somewhere at one time, maybe on the Satellite Guys forum that =

=20
> there
> is a way to force a software download.=A0 Anyone know how?=A0 I am tryin=

g=20=20
> an
> experiment to software update an unauthorized receiver for OTA only.=A0 =

=20
> As
> many of you may know VOOM will not easily authorize Receivers not=20=20
> purchased
> from them even if they were purchased legitimately as in from a=20=20
> former VOOM
> subscriber who purchased his equipment rather than leasing it.=A0 There =

=20
> have
> been numerous instances where they have allowed authorization of such =

=20
> but I
> have never found the magic words.=A0 I think it is because I lease and =

=20
> their
> Anyway, VOOM's receivers are fine for OTA and I would like to use my =

=20
> extra
> one for this purpose but I need to get the latest software to=20=20
> download to
> it.=A0 Of course it will not work for VOOM programming without=20=20
> authorization
> but I just want the OTA side for this one.=A0 I only have one HDTV=20=20
> anyway.
> If anyone knows how to force the software update please let me know.=A0 =

=20
> Thanks
>
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Bill, for posting your experience.=A0 You had a few problems =

=20
> and
> > got them fixed.
> >
> > Yep, we're had our share of problems but have gotten all of them=20=20

> fixed
> >
> > Listening to music (hey, I'm an audio nut as well) instead of=20=20

> watching
> > HDTV under lowering (rain promised for Christmas!) Seattle skies,=20=20

> Gill
> >
> >
> >> Bill,
> >>
> >> Hopefully you can get a new box soon.=A0 If you've got 7.26 software =

=20
> and
> >>
> >> Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than=20=20

> the
> >> two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber.=A0 Just to let
> >> everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll=20=20

> share
> >>
> >> My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th.=A0 The
> >> Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could=20=20

> come
> >> first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled.=A0 =

=20
> This
> >> was perfect for me so I said yes.=A0 He showed up about 10 am (after
> >>
> >> After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV =

=20
> dish
> >> high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder).=A0 I
> >> still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been=20=20

> there
> >>
> >> He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my=20=20

> DISH
> >> install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable=20=20

> out
> >> will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back.=A0 We initiated my
> >> service and programmed my OTA channels.=A0 The installer packed up =

=20
> all
> >> sign the final paperwork.=A0 It was then that I pointed out that I
> >>
> >> eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical=20=20

> unit.
> >>
> >> The first day I experienced two problems.=A0 The first was that the =

=20
> box
> >> locked up on a bunch of the channels.=A0 I got online and chatted =

=20
> with
> >> CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way).=A0 After a
> >> The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing =

=20
> the
> >> 7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight.=A0 The
> >> overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't=20=20

> help me
> >> with that.
> >>
> >> Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight.=A0 The
> >> overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I=20=20

> watched
> >>
> >> Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded=20=20

> overnight.
> >>=A0 I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted =

=20
> with
> >> Voom again over the web.=A0 They told me it takes a while after a =

=20
> reboot
> >> to load the data.=A0 I had assumed the box rebooted after the=20=20

> software
> >> upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it).=A0 Sure
> >>
> >> I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th.=A0 I did not =

=20
> plug
> >> deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users.=A0 During =

=20
> this
> >> time, I've had two problems.=A0 The first was a a case of channel
> >> others went dark.=A0 A soft reboot fixed this immediately.=A0 The =

=20
> second
> >> DISH installation).
> >>
> >> During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom=20=20

> installed.=A0 I
> >>
> >> 1)=A0 My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
> >> unexplicably.=A0 It would record for about 20 seconds on a program =

=20
> and
> >> then stop.=A0 I missed several of my favorite programs because of =

=20
> this.
> >> increase the free space for recording.=A0 I had to manually delete a =

=20
> few
> >> programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a=20=20

> solution
> >> that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted =

=20
> to
> >> change my box out.
> >>
> >> 2)=A0 My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
> >> problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out.=A0 A soft reboot
> >> fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't=20=20

> notice it
> >> for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just=20=20

> blank
> >> hard drive space.
> >>
> >> 3)=A0 I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation =

=20
> on
> >> my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and=20=20

> watching HD
> >> on another channel.=A0 This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
> >> going on for months since I got the box.=A0 Time Warner has no fix =

=20
> for
> >> this.
> >>
> >> 4)=A0 The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio=20=20

> output
> >> feature of the DVR.
> >>
> >> their service than I have had with Voom.=A0 I know many have suffered
> >> through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my=20=20

> experience
> >> has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I=20=20

> anticipated.
> >>
> >> Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would =

=20
> know
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@y...>=20=20

> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >=A0 :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had=20=20

> problems
> > 12 out
> >> >=A0 of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> >> >=A0 up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> >> >=A0 channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> >> >=A0 etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it

> > works
> >> >=A0 good for the most part i love the picture quality but this=20=20

> service is
> >> >=A0 extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls

> > already for
> >> >=A0 the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told =

=20
> i
> > mite
> >> >=A0 have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t=20=20

> doesnt
> > work
> >> >=A0 & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the

> > complaints on
> >> >=A0 this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box=20=20

> cures the
> >> >=A0 problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves

> > aknowledged
> >> >=A0 other people also having similar problems thanks for listning =

=20
> to my
> >> >=A0 venting Bill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >=A0 --
> >> >=A0 benzbill
> >> >

> >=20=20

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=20
> -
> >> >=A0 This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by=20=20

> benzbill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >=A0 Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > U.S./Canada
> >> >
> >> >=A0 ________________________________
> >> >=A0 Yahoo! Groups Links
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of=20=20

> Service.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell?=A0 Now there's a frood =

=20
> who

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
> ADVERTISEMENT
> <l.gif>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> =95 To visit your group on the web, go to:
> =A0
> =95 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> =A0
> =95 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of=20=20
> Service.
>
>=20=20

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->=20
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->=20

=20
Yahoo! Groups Links

=20

Also in the 4dTV. I recognize your name too! Hope you had a Merry
Christmas and got some new toys to pay with.
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

Grod, are you also in the 4DTV forum?

> All,
> I read somewhere at one time, maybe on the Satellite Guys forum that
> there
> is a way to force a software download. Anyone know how? I am trying
> an
> experiment to software update an unauthorized receiver for OTA only.
> As
> many of you may know VOOM will not easily authorize Receivers not
> purchased
> from them even if they were purchased legitimately as in from a
> former VOOM
> subscriber who purchased his equipment rather than leasing it. There
> have
> been numerous instances where they have allowed authorization of such
> but I
> have never found the magic words. I think it is because I lease and
> their
> Anyway, VOOM's receivers are fine for OTA and I would like to use my
> extra
> one for this purpose but I need to get the latest software to
> download to
> it. Of course it will not work for VOOM programming without
> authorization
> but I just want the OTA side for this one. I only have one HDTV
> anyway.
> If anyone knows how to force the software update please let me know.
> Thanks
>
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Bill, for posting your experience. You had a few problems

> and
> > got them fixed.
> >
> > Yep, we're had our share of problems but have gotten all of them

> fixed
> >
> > Listening to music (hey, I'm an audio nut as well) instead of

> watching
> > HDTV under lowering (rain promised for Christmas!) Seattle skies,

> Gill
> >
> >
> >> Bill,
> >>
> >> Hopefully you can get a new box soon. If you've got 7.26 software

> and
> >>
> >> Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than

> the
> >> two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber. Just to let
> >> everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll

> share
> >>
> >> My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th. The
> >> Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could

> come
> >> first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled.

> This
> >> was perfect for me so I said yes. He showed up about 10 am (after
> >>
> >> After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV

> dish
> >> high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder). I
> >> still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been

> there
> >>
> >> He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my

> DISH
> >> install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable

> out
> >> will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back. We initiated my
> >> service and programmed my OTA channels. The installer packed up

> all
> >> sign the final paperwork. It was then that I pointed out that I
> >>
> >> eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical

> unit.
> >>
> >> The first day I experienced two problems. The first was that the

> box
> >> locked up on a bunch of the channels. I got online and chatted

> with
> >> CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way). After a
> >> The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing

> the
> >> 7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight. The
> >> overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't

> help me
> >> with that.
> >>
> >> Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight. The
> >> overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I

> watched
> >>
> >> Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded

> overnight.
> >> I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted

> with
> >> Voom again over the web. They told me it takes a while after a

> reboot
> >> to load the data. I had assumed the box rebooted after the

> software
> >> upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it). Sure
> >>
> >> I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th. I did not

> plug
> >> deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users. During

> this
> >> time, I've had two problems. The first was a a case of channel
> >> others went dark. A soft reboot fixed this immediately. The

> second
> >> DISH installation).
> >>
> >> During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom

> installed. I
> >>
> >> 1) My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
> >> unexplicably. It would record for about 20 seconds on a program

> and
> >> then stop. I missed several of my favorite programs because of

> this.
> >> increase the free space for recording. I had to manually delete a

> few
> >> programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a

> solution
> >> that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted

> to
> >> change my box out.
> >>
> >> 2) My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
> >> problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out. A soft reboot
> >> fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't

> notice it
> >> for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just

> blank
> >> hard drive space.
> >>
> >> 3) I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation

> on
> >> my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and

> watching HD
> >> on another channel. This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
> >> going on for months since I got the box. Time Warner has no fix

> for
> >> this.
> >>
> >> 4) The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio

> output
> >> feature of the DVR.
> >>
> >> their service than I have had with Voom. I know many have suffered
> >> through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my

> experience
> >> has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I

> anticipated.
> >>
> >> Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would

> know
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@y...>

> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had

> problems
> > 12 out
> >> > of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> >> > up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> >> > channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> >> > etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it

> > works
> >> > good for the most part i love the picture quality but this

> service is
> >> > extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls

> > already for
> >> > the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told

> i
> > mite
> >> > have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t

> doesnt
> > work
> >> > & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the

> > complaints on
> >> > this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box

> cures the
> >> > problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves

> > aknowledged
> >> > other people also having similar problems thanks for listning

> to my
> >> > venting Bill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > benzbill
> >> >

> >

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
> >> > This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by

> benzbill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > U.S./Canada
> >> >
> >> > ________________________________
> >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

> Service.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell? Now there's a frood

> who

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
> ADVERTISEMENT
> <l.gif>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> . To visit your group on the web, go to:
>
> . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>
> . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.
>
>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Unfortunately this does not work with software version 5.08.
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

here's the "forced" download method and may the force be with you!

Date: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:21 pm
Subject: Re: [VOOM] Re: Caller ID with new updated software! Wilt can
you help

You have the ability to "force" the update immediately.

Follow this:

on the remote press:
Voom-see options and settings bottom right-press green button-see
system settings bottom right-press green button again-see system
settings-press #7 installer menu-see installer menu-press #1
installation wizard-see installation steps press #7 verify Voom-see
Installation Step 7-Verify Voom-see bottom right continue-press green
button-small window will pop up -select update now

I did this the other day when I realized the update was coming and I
wanted to monitor the whole process. The total time for the download
was 19 minutes 59 seconds.

> All,
> I read somewhere at one time, maybe on the Satellite Guys forum that
> there
> is a way to force a software download. Anyone know how? I am trying
> an
> experiment to software update an unauthorized receiver for OTA only.
> As
> many of you may know VOOM will not easily authorize Receivers not
> purchased
> from them even if they were purchased legitimately as in from a
> former VOOM
> subscriber who purchased his equipment rather than leasing it. There
> have
> been numerous instances where they have allowed authorization of such
> but I
> have never found the magic words. I think it is because I lease and
> their
> Anyway, VOOM's receivers are fine for OTA and I would like to use my
> extra
> one for this purpose but I need to get the latest software to
> download to
> it. Of course it will not work for VOOM programming without
> authorization
> but I just want the OTA side for this one. I only have one HDTV
> anyway.
> If anyone knows how to force the software update please let me know.
> Thanks
>
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Bill, for posting your experience. You had a few problems

> and
> > got them fixed.
> >
> > Yep, we're had our share of problems but have gotten all of them

> fixed
> >
> > Listening to music (hey, I'm an audio nut as well) instead of

> watching
> > HDTV under lowering (rain promised for Christmas!) Seattle skies,

> Gill
> >
> >
> >> Bill,
> >>
> >> Hopefully you can get a new box soon. If you've got 7.26 software

> and
> >>
> >> Your problems sounds like an 180 degree opposite experience than

> the
> >> two and half weeks that I've been a Voom subscriber. Just to let
> >> everyone know that not every Voom experience is like this, I'll

> share
> >>
> >> My install was scheduled for the afternoon of December 7th. The
> >> Installs Inc. installer called on the 6th and asked if he could

> come
> >> first thing in the morning instead of noon-5pm like scheduled.

> This
> >> was perfect for me so I said yes. He showed up about 10 am (after
> >>
> >> After surveying the site, he volunteered to remove an old DirecTV

> dish
> >> high up on my roof that I could not reach myself (no ladder). I
> >> still I was greatful to get rid of that old dish that had been

> there
> >>
> >> He installed the standard dish and standard antenna and left my

> DISH
> >> install wired to the point that simply switching a coaxial cable

> out
> >> will get me back on DISH if I decide to go back. We initiated my
> >> service and programmed my OTA channels. The installer packed up

> all
> >> sign the final paperwork. It was then that I pointed out that I
> >>
> >> eventually switching out the antenna unit for another identical

> unit.
> >>
> >> The first day I experienced two problems. The first was that the

> box
> >> locked up on a bunch of the channels. I got online and chatted

> with
> >> CSR from the Voom website (a nifty feature by the way). After a
> >> The basic message was that the lockups were a result of my needing

> the
> >> 7.26 software download and that I would get it overnight. The
> >> overscan issue was a problem with my TV itself and he couldn't

> help me
> >> with that.
> >>
> >> Tune-Up DVD while I passed the time for my download overnight. The
> >> overscan problem had always been there but it wasn't until I

> watched
> >>
> >> Well, sure enough, as promised, the new software downloaded

> overnight.
> >> I still didn't have any program guide data though so I chatted

> with
> >> Voom again over the web. They told me it takes a while after a

> reboot
> >> to load the data. I had assumed the box rebooted after the

> software
> >> upgrade but just in case, I did a hard reboot (unplugged it). Sure
> >>
> >> I have been watching AMAZING HDTV since December 8th. I did not

> plug
> >> deal with the routine lockups mentioned by other users. During

> this
> >> time, I've had two problems. The first was a a case of channel
> >> others went dark. A soft reboot fixed this immediately. The

> second
> >> DISH installation).
> >>
> >> During the same two and half weeks that I have had Voom

> installed. I
> >>
> >> 1) My Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR stopped recording programs
> >> unexplicably. It would record for about 20 seconds on a program

> and
> >> then stop. I missed several of my favorite programs because of

> this.
> >> increase the free space for recording. I had to manually delete a

> few
> >> programs and reboot and it finally started working again...a

> solution
> >> that I discovered as TimeWarner's CSR's were of no help and wanted

> to
> >> change my box out.
> >>
> >> 2) My Pace standard-definition box had a similar "dark channels"
> >> problem as the Voom box, but EVERY channel was out. A soft reboot
> >> fixed this but this was in the bedroom upstairs and I didn't

> notice it
> >> for 4 days meaning everything I TiVo'd during that time was just

> blank
> >> hard drive space.
> >>
> >> 3) I routinely have problems with macro-blocking and pixellation

> on
> >> my HD-DVR, especially when recording HD on one channel and

> watching HD
> >> on another channel. This happens 2-3 times per week and has been
> >> going on for months since I got the box. Time Warner has no fix

> for
> >> this.
> >>
> >> 4) The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound over coaxial or digital audio

> output
> >> feature of the DVR.
> >>
> >> their service than I have had with Voom. I know many have suffered
> >> through lots of software and other issues with Voom but my

> experience
> >> has been very positive with Voom...in fact, better than I

> anticipated.
> >>
> >> Just thought I'd add my testimonial to the list so everyone would

> know
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:44 -0500, benzbill <satguys2004@y...>

> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > :mad: i have had voom's service for 2 weeks & it has had

> problems
> > 12 out
> >> > of the 14 days picture freezing ,box locking up after channel
> >> > up(122),channel staying the same video surf bar still changing
> >> > channels,massive tileing from wind,turning on sat box no picture
> >> > etc,etc,etc.Always have to power down box by resetting & then it

> > works
> >> > good for the most part i love the picture quality but this

> service is
> >> > extremly poor multiple calls to voom 2 missed service calls

> > already for
> >> > the box replacement then when i mention disconnecting i am told

> i
> > mite
> >> > have to pay a early termination fee what a joke there s**t

> doesnt
> > work
> >> > & i have to pay a penalty i wish i would of read all the

> > complaints on
> >> > this site b4 i signed up disatisfied so far hopeing new box

> cures the
> >> > problem but i doubt it since installs inc & voom themselves

> > aknowledged
> >> > other people also having similar problems thanks for listning

> to my
> >> > venting Bill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > benzbill
> >> >

> >

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
> >> > This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by

> benzbill
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > U.S./Canada
> >> >
> >> > ________________________________
> >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

> Service.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hey do you sass that hoopy Jarrett Campbell? Now there's a frood

> who

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
> ADVERTISEMENT
> <l.gif>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> . To visit your group on the web, go to:
>
> . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>
> . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.
>
>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

[VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems

Software 5.08 ????

My box says software version 2.03. Are you talking about VOOM?
CB Gaines
Vooming since 4/04

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, "thegrod" <bruceg@h...> wrote:
> Unfortunately this does not work with software version 5.08.
> From: "Timothy Fouts" <timothyfouts@m...>
> Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 10:34 AM
> Subject: Re: [VOOM] Re: voom reciever problems
>
>
>
> here's the "forced" download method and may the force be with you!

------------------------