Reactivate 501?

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
Hi all,

I got a 921 a while back to replace my 501. When I called to activate the 921 I told them to deactivate the 501 as I had no plans on using it. They wanted me to return it so I got to thinking.

Why not put it in the guest house?? Problem is, it's too far away to run a cable from the existing dishes on the main house.

Can I pick up another dish to put on the other building and just hook it up to that dish. Sounds like it would work to me as they activate receivers and not dishes. If so, what dish should I get and where is the cheapest place to get one.

Thanks - Terry

I'm not sure why they asked for the 501 back. The only time that I've herd of this is with some upgrade deals (like the 510 upgrade). Are you DHA?

In any case, you can add a 2nd dish, they have no way to know what dish it's hooked up to. E* has been whining to some people about phone line connections so if it's not a big deal you might want to plug that in.

You will get hit with the extra $5/month (mirroring fee). This might be kind of a waste if your guest house isn't used often (my guest bedroom gets the RF feed off the 921).

Check E-Bay for a Dish 500. You could also try calling some local dealers.

Putting up another dish would probably be the thing to do although if it is within 200-300 feet from your house then you may be able to get it to work if you ran a wire that far. You may be able to get a used Dish500 for the same price or cheaper than what the wire costs though.

200 feet is the limit for a cable run - and that's only if it's the newer DishPro LNBs. Just get another dish - you'll be better off in the long run.

Also, you probably bought the 501 (I know I did mine). Plus, you bought the 921, therefore they have no right to ask for the 501 back on 2 grounds.

Finally, there's no requirement or monthly fee to not have a phone line hooked up to a 501 - just the 2nd receiver fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts