Real Mexican food and Grocery Store :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The place I go - the owner is from Northern Mexico. They just now started to make their own tortillas :) We had it Saturday night :) On a side note, while on the grocery store side, there was some sort of small cattle/animal head in the cooler. It had no top teeth, yet the bottom row of teeth were pervect white, and very uniform - human like. Not sure what it was :)

tooz72 said:
Do they have Coca-Cola from Mexico? It is so much better than the stuff from the U.S.

According to Coca Cola the only difference is that the Mexican bottler uses glass containers. It has always been rumored though that the Mexican Coke contains the old sugar cane sweetener instead of corn syrip.

The lady at the store told us that the Orange crush is made with sugar instead of corn sweatners. I still prefer my soda in glass bottles :)

I always get ice cream after mexiacan food. That way leter in the head I can say "come on ice cream!"

iafirebuff said:
I should ask them. The alambre that I get there, I get with top sirloin....whatever that is :)

A Mexican Philly Steak & Cheese assuming Mexico had it 1st.

A torta is a Mexican sandwich, more traditional than the burrito, served on an oblong 6-8 inch firm, crusty white sandwich roll, called a bolillo or telera. The word means "cake" in Spanish as used in most other countries, but in Mexico it refers specifically to this type of sandwich. Tortas can be served hot or cold. Common ingredients include, but are not limited to:

* Al pastor: (marinated pork)
* Carne asada: (marinated steak)
* Carnitas: (fried tender pork)
* Choriqueso: (Chorizo with cheese)
* Cubana: Inspired by the popular Cuban sandwich. Typically a combination of at least three ingredients such as ham, cheese, pork, and sausage.
* Cochinita pibil: (pork loin in orange sauce)
* Milanesa: (breaded steak)
* Carne deshebrada: (shredded beef)
* Chile relleno: (cheese-stuffed Anaheim or poblano green pepper fried in egg batter)
* Alambre: (steak, bacon, onion, pepper and cheese)
* Lengua: beef tongue
* Gamba: shrimp
* Pescado: fried fish
* Jamón: Ham
* Huevo con salchicha: (sausage and scrambled egg)

Garnishes such as avocado, sour cream, lettuce, jalapeño, tomato, and cheese feature in various incarnations of the sandwich. The dish is available throughout Mexico, the American Southwest, and anywhere with a large number of Mexican immigrants. This dish should not to be confused with a Spanish egg torta, a popular omelette-like dish.

Torta Ahogada is another typical dish from Guadalajara in Mexico. The bolillo is stuffed with fried pork meat (Carnitas), fried beans, onion, sometimes avocado and it is sunken in a tomato sauce ("ahogada" means "drowned" in Spanish).

Semi- related... I noticed Wal-Mart is setting up their green chile roasting spot in front... won't be long till all the grocery stores around here will be roasting green chiles. ( I just heard on the news that this years crop should be very good!)

bastards, i hope they dont bottom out the quality for us; I fire roast my own and would hate to see them take up the quality raw peppers. Maybe they will help, but its not often.

Our Wal-Mart does not do anything that cool :) My favortie place is now doing pollo asados (or something like that) basically grilled chicken :)

dfergie said:
It helps to live in the same state that the Hatch Green Chiles are grown in.. :)
I went through Hatch once, but it was closed. :) Seems to me it was on that same trip we stopped between there and Deming about 2am to look at the comet (Hale-Bopp).

Well, we stopped by to pick up supper on Saturday night, as we do every week, and got to watch them making cakes. They were so good looking! I am going to try one!

I saw a head in the cooler at my Mexican place the other day. Looked to be a sheep or goat. ANy idea what tey make from it?

Brains are a big deal, and actually aren't too bad scrambled in eggs but are very salty; if it might have been a pig; then the brains, snout, jowls, ears; you name it.

Heads of many types are stewed or simmered in stock or soups and have tasty small portions of meat bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)