Real news channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I haven't done the math. But, let's say that I want every channel offered in AT200, and decided to get them through the Flex Pack. By what you are saying, I can get them cheaper this way. Is that true? I'm willing to speculate that if I wanted every channel that I currently get, it would be more expensive, or just the same, to get the Flex pack with every add on.
You have it exactly backwards. !0000% backwards! :) It's every channel (or darn close) you want is in the Flex Package, channels you do not ever watch are in the Top 200.

If you want every channel in the Top 200 - then that's at the least the package you want. You want ESPN, your RSN(s) your locals, etc etc. So no, DISH or really anyone else (Traditional) does not offer those channels for less. The Flex Package is for those who don't want to pay Top 200 $80 or $65v(With two year contract) for TV because they don't want ESPN, and/or their RSN, and/or locals etc. The Flex Package is the first one anywhere by a traditional provider that has very close to all the cable channels commonly watched or expected with little sports, no locals, etc at a price of $29.99 if you do autopay with contract or $34.99 no contract. Even adding locals, @ $40 or $45 (with no contract) if those are the channels you want why pay $80 or $65? If you find getting the Flex package means adding every ad on they have I would say look at a regular package instead.

And I should add before your only choice was to downgrade to another package still with channels you don't want and give up some you do want. Dropping to the Top 120 for instance saves but at the cost of losing several cable channels. Flex may have some you still don't want but they are less expensive as witnessed by the $29.99 price for all that are included. In the past it would take getting the Top 200 to get some of the cable channels in the Flex Pack. And it appears DISH is adding some channels to the add ons in Flex so you have a choice that they may not otherwise have added at least so far it looks that way.

Last edited:
There isn't a real news source. They all have a particular bias, slant, perspective, or whatever else you call it. Without getting political, I'm an independent, and with that I even have my own biases, perspectives, and slants. BBC World News isn't biased free. It's just focused through the perspective of the United Kingdom. The same goes for Al Jazeera America. It was based on that of Muslims.

This doesn't invalidate or validate there perspectives. It just identifies that they exist. They weren't unbiased news sources, but rather news sources with an opposing perspective than that of the big name outlets here in the United States.

Mass media, as a whole, is currupt and wants to sway your opinion, even when they don't mean to. You tell me one news source that travels their target audience's geographic location and tells you everything that is happening, from the news we get, to bake sales, school events, the stories of who died, was married, was born, is having a yard sale, just opened a new swimming pool, etc, in the community, listings of town meetings and minutes from each town/city, and so on; and I'll introduce you to a pink and green unicorn with yellow polka dots. We get the stories that they want us to know about; whether it's because it will keep us watching longer for ratings or to spread their beliefs. All news outlets are biased.

Thats why i said you need to search for it. I mentioned bbc and aj america because they were/are no where near as bias as msnbc,fox news, etc. They also dont report on the celebrity crap and other sensationalism no where near what the big ones do. Once again you have to search for it because if "real" news was presented to todays masses no one would watch. People want to see the screaming matches between pundits that are so called "experts", Worried about celebrity weddings, gossip, etc.

Reactions: dare2be
If the Top packages cost less per month yet gave more than getting the Flex package as you are trying to suggest you would have a point. Since it cost less and can cost much less to get the Flex package you have no point and made mine and others.

Let me help you. You can go to Costco, Sams's or BJ's warehouse and get the bulk Tomato Sauce. It's a huge can but per ounce it is less than getting a smaller Jar. But you constantly have to throw out part of it because you never use all of it. So the actual cost is much closer than you first thought. On top of that you keep paying $25 more every time you buy it than getting the smaller jar of sauce. By paying that $25 more you can't go out for breakfast a couple of times or save it for something bigger.

So you switch and get the smaller Jar saving $25 each time. It does cost more per ounce but you are saving $25 every time you buy it and you are using the same amount you were before - and here's an important part you aren't going hungry and you have more money for other things.
THAT's the Flex package system. If you find you are going hungry then perhaps the bigger package would be worth it.
I nominate Tampa8 as the official DISH FLEX Pack Ambassador. Because He can explain it so much better than most on this site.:bow

Another great way of describing the Flex Pack. McDonalds has a special right now. 2 Big Macs, 2 large Fries, 20 nuggets, and 2 large drinks $12.99. A regular combo of 1 large drink, 1 large fry, and 1 Big Mac is about $7. Same with 1 10 peice nugget meal. By bundling together in their special, I can pay less, as long as I have someone to share it with. It makes no sense for me to do that deal when I go to mcDonalds alone, or if I'm the only one that wants a Big Mac. So I get the Big Mac meal for $7. The price per peice is more expensive, but I pay $6 less, and am just as full. When I am with 2 others, the Big Mac deal split across all 3 of us plus $1 for the extra drink is the better deal at $14 or $4.67 per person. Everyone understand. It's options and proconsumer.

Reactions: Tampa8
Except at McDonalds you can get whatever combination you want, however you do it. With Dish, there are certain combinations of channels you just can't get on the same account

Except at McDonalds you can get whatever combination you want, however you do it. With Dish, there are certain combinations of channels you just can't get on the same account
The only way you can get that option is if you have full on ala cart, which is not allowed due to companies with forced bundling. I would love full ala cart ,but that isn't happening yet. This is as close to ala cart that we can get right now. It is similar to what Canada had a few years back with theme channel packs. Now, Canada has a system that mandates a l basic pack of local channels for around $25.00 and from there you can add what ever channel you want to to that pack at a cost per channel. That is full on ala cart. Their legislature passed this change and gave their consumers the choice that you are wanting. Now the only way we are going to get that option is if we as a people, force our congress to adopt those changes as well. But to discourage DISH for trying to do limited ala cart is wrong headed. They are at least trying to give us what they can, with the companies that they can negotiate these changes. Not only that, they are at last giving existing subs the chance to get the latest customer deals with 24 month price freezes for the basic programming packs. This will cut down some of the existing churn by subs who go back and forth between both satellite companies trying to get the new customer deals. These are things that I, as well as others on this site, have advocated for years. Lets not forget another thing we have been asking for was HD channels in the Welcome /Smart packs. Which they added too. We even have ota guide information for our main ota channels in our dma that DISH covers , even if we don't take the locals pack. That is a welcome change. I think we should be happy we at least have the options now to cut our bills, not pay for stuff we don't want to (sports), or to take the big programming packs if we want. This is all about choices and it is pro consumer. The only other way some people would be happy is if they gave it away for FREE, and that isn't going to happen. Be thankful for the choices you do have, because DISH evidently has been listening to our complaints and is making changes. I only hope it gets better in the future. :wave

I don't disagree but that's not what his or my comparison is about. I'm surprised you think that mixing what you want would be a good idea because if you are saying Flex is simply more expensive than just getting the Top package you should be doubling saying that about getting individual channels. Doing it that way would be even more expensive - per channel. But just like the Flex Package if you only want a few of certain ones you still could save money each month.

Reactions: peggy97850
I don't disagree but that's not what his or my comparison is about. I'm surprised you think that mixing what you want would be a good idea because if you are saying Flex is simply more expensive than just getting the Top package you should be doubling saying that about getting individual channels. Doing it that way would be even more expensive - per channel. But just like the Flex Package if you only want a few of certain ones you still could save money each month.

The truth is that if you are on such a tight budget you need flex..you probably already know cheaper ways to get the programming you want to watch..if Dish really wants to survive they need to adopt the freeview model that is very popular in Europe

The only way you can get that option is if you have full on ala cart, which is not allowed due to companies with forced bundling. I would love full ala cart ,but that isn't happening yet. This is as close to ala cart that we can get right now. It is similar to what Canada had a few years back with theme channel packs. Now, Canada has a system that mandates a l basic pack of local channels for around $25.00 and from there you can add what ever channel you want to to that pack at a cost per channel. That is full on ala cart. Their legislature passed this change and gave their consumers the choice that you are wanting. Now the only way we are going to get that option is if we as a people, force our congress to adopt those changes as well. But to discourage DISH for trying to do limited ala cart is wrong headed. They are at least trying to give us what they can, with the companies that they can negotiate these changes. Not only that, they are at last giving existing subs the chance to get the latest customer deals with 24 month price freezes for the basic programming packs. This will cut down some of the existing churn by subs who go back and forth between both satellite companies trying to get the new customer deals. These are things that I, as well as others on this site, have advocated for years. Lets not forget another thing we have been asking for was HD channels in the Welcome /Smart packs. Which they added too. We even have ota guide information for our main ota channels in our dma that DISH covers , even if we don't take the locals pack. That is a welcome change. I think we should be happy we at least have the options now to cut our bills, not pay for stuff we don't want to (sports), or to take the big programming packs if we want. This is all about choices and it is pro consumer. The only other way some people would be happy is if they gave it away for FREE, and that isn't going to happen. Be thankful for the choices you do have, because DISH evidently has been listening to our complaints and is making changes. I only hope it gets better in the future. :wave

Of course I very much agree. I give some credit to DISH for making several changes to reduce costs without sacrifice or much of it. They put enough channels into the Top 200 that I could drop to that for the first time since having DISH, and now a $15 discount off that price so I am paying $25 less a month, $300 a year less and no price increase for two years, yet get all the channels I want. And of course there is the Flex Pack that really allows people who do not want to stream get a very decent deal while still getting a free first receiver or pay some to still have a DVR. If it stays true allowing OTA program guide info even without getting locals to me shows a commitment to the Flex system to not force someone to get the locals add on. I hope for those people that is a permanent change.

I say some credit because like most any company I know they would not have done all this if pay tv customers were not declining from all providers. But they are the first to make meaningful changes like this. As an existing customer, I wonder what the difference in cost is now for at least two years as compared to an existing Directv subscriber.....and will Directv be forced to follow?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The truth is that if you are on such a tight budget you need flex..you probably already know cheaper ways to get the programming you want to watch..if Dish really wants to survive they need to adopt the freeview model that is very popular in Europe

WHAT? I have a feeling you have not looked to see what Flex is. Don't confuse the low cost with needing "such a tight budget"... That Flex package is very robust - for many especially with an ad on or two all the channels you need so why not get it? What you are talking about is what I call hunting and pecking... every time you want to watch a show you have to go online or find it, if you don't have a Cable/Satellite subscription in many cases good luck. You can get Netflix, which has a fraction of the shows available in the Flex package. Just like the Flex package however if Netflix or Amazon fills your needs then yes get that. But once you need Netflix and Amazon and Hulu etc you are beyond that way of watching TV. Want to watch only past seasons of shows, you can find those too. That isn't at all what the Flex package is, it is an affordable way to get the channels you want and it competes extremely well all things considered with getting TV online.
I maintain it is a very small percentage who actually only rely on online. First by far most still get their TV the traditional way, second there are many who while they have no traditional provider use someone else's at least sometimes or more. Third, it's things like the Flex Package that may bring those who do rely mostly on the internet for streaming TV to come back to traditional TV.

Reactions: peggy97850
WHAT? I have a feeling you have not looked to see what Flex is. Don't confuse the low cost with needing "such a tight budget"... That Flex package is very robust - for many especially with an ad on or two all the channels you need so why not get it? What you are talking about is what I call hunting and pecking... every time you want to watch a show you have to go online or find it, if you don't have a Cable/Satellite subscription in many cases good luck. You can get Netflix, which has a fraction of the shows available in the Flex package. Just like the Flex package however if Netflix or Amazon fills your needs then yes get that. But once you need Netflix and Amazon and Hulu etc you are beyond that way of watching TV. Want to watch only past seasons of shows, you can find those too. That isn't at all what the Flex package is, it is an affordable way to get the channels you want and it competes extremely well all things considered with getting TV online.
I maintain it is a very small percentage who actually only rely on online. First by far most still get their TV the traditional way, second there are many who while they have no traditional provider use someone else's at least sometimes or more. Third, it's things like the Flex Package that may bring those who do rely mostly on the internet for streaming TV to come back to traditional TV.

Actually it's called k**i

cares-emoticon-asking-what-s-problem-what-i-don-t-know-42424037-jpg-WVLorZ-clipart.jpg

All of us just have to get better at not feeding the trolls. I know it's tempting to try to correct misconceptions or just flat-out wrong statements, but it never works out and just derails the thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)