Real simple (to ask) external hard drive question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A couple related questions:
  1. Can one just buy an EHD then attach it and have it work, or does it require some sort of activation by DISH?
  2. Can the EHD be moved between two VIP612 boxes?
Thanks!

A couple related questions:
  1. Can one just buy an EHD then attach it and have it work, or does it require some sort of activation by DISH?
  2. Can the EHD be moved between two VIP612 boxes?
Thanks!

You have to pay the activation fee to use the EHD feature. I think it's still at $39.00 but it's going up to $49.00.

Yes you can move the EHD between ViP receivers in your house.

You have to pay the activation fee to use the EHD feature. I think it's still at $39.00 but it's going up to $49.00.

Yes you can move the EHD between ViP receivers in your house.

Thanks Randall. Is that a "per DVR" activation fee or does it cover the whole account (in my case, two DVRs)

Just one more question... :)

When setting up a recording, is there an option for which device you want to record to...DVR or EHD?

Using a VIP 622 for about a year, along with a Seagate Freeagent 500 (Seacrate as we used to call them). During this time I had one failure, had to reformat and lost everything and this was with the sleep timer off. Since then, I unplug the power from the HD and only plug it in when I am using it. All has been ok since then.

I should have learned my lesson on Seagate, when back in the old days, they had a well known 'stickem' problem where the HD pickup arm would weld itself to the HD platter after periods of not being used. In spite of numerous reports of this problem on Compuserve (pre-internet times) they never acknowledged the problem or made replacements. It was then that I decided I would never buy a Seagate again. I was loyal to WD all these years and had no problems on any of my computers.

Saw the Seagate FreeAgent drives and figured, after all these years, quality problems should have been resolved. WRONG!

I would mever buy a Seagate drive again, and this time I mean it.

Stick with WD.