Really Bad Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

randyox

Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Utah
:mad: Just signed up for Directv with HD and PVR. The tech came Saturday and spent almost 3 hours at my home. The cable was already in place. All he had to do was set up the dish and then connect the receiver. After he installed the dish on the roof and "aligned" it, he gave me the remote control and told me that everything was set. I asked him if he would make sure that they were all set and he said that he had to go on another install. He assured me that everything was set. I had to wait for about 20 minutes for the receiver to finally download all the information and once that was done, I was able to check the channels. I was only getting about half of the HD channels. The other channels were not there but there was a message stating it was searching for the signal. When I called Directv, they told me that they couldn't get a tech out until Monday. The same tech showed up Monday and tried to tell me that I was getting all the channels just fine. The reason I wasn't getting the other channels, like ESPN HD was because I hadn't paid for them. HELLO!!! They were part of my package. I had to personally talk to the person on the phone at Directv and tell them what the problem was. They said they would have to send out another senior tech next Saturday... This is so frustrating! At least with Dish Network, I was able to get my HD channels. This is the second time I have dealt with Directv and both times I have NOT been impressed with the techs that they send out. I am seriously thinking about just going back to dish at this point... :mad:

:mad: Just signed up for Directv with HD and PVR. The tech came Saturday and spent almost 3 hours at my home. The cable was already in place. All he had to do was set up the dish and then connect the receiver. After he installed the dish on the roof and "aligned" it, he gave me the remote control and told me that everything was set. I asked him if he would make sure that they were all set and he said that he had to go on another install. He assured me that everything was set. I had to wait for about 20 minutes for the receiver to finally download all the information and once that was done, I was able to check the channels. I was only getting about half of the HD channels. The other channels were not there but there was a message stating it was searching for the signal. When I called Directv, they told me that they couldn't get a tech out until Monday. The same tech showed up Monday and tried to tell me that I was getting all the channels just fine. The reason I wasn't getting the other channels, like ESPN HD was because I hadn't paid for them. HELLO!!! They were part of my package. I had to personally talk to the person on the phone at Directv and tell them what the problem was. They said they would have to send out another senior tech next Saturday... This is so frustrating! At least with Dish Network, I was able to get my HD channels. This is the second time I have dealt with Directv and both times I have NOT been impressed with the techs that they send out. I am seriously thinking about just going back to dish at this point... :mad:

So why did you sign the work order if you weren't happy with the install? The tech doesn't get paid unless you sign the paperwork, and if you are not receiving what you are supposed to be getting he shouldn't have left.

I would have called D* the moment he left stating that the tech left before the install was complete.

As to your install, he probably had to run the second cable for the DVR which is why it took longer than you thought. DirecTV figures an hour for the dish, and an hour per receiver plus an additional 30 minutes to peak in the 5 LNB dish.

This was obviously a substandard install, but it doesn't sound like something that can't be fixed.

I didn't sign the work order. The cables were already there from when I had Directv before. All he had to do was set up the dish, make sure it was aligned properly and then make sure that I was getting the channels. When I asked him to stay and finish he told me that he couldn't because he was late for another install. I didn't want to sit there and argue with him. It was hard enough to try and understand him in the first place. He spoke very little english. He told me that he was sure that everything was done right. He started the download on the receiver and said that it would take at least 30 minutes and he didn't have time to wait for the download to finish. He said that once the download was complete, I would have all the channels. When he came last night, he again tried to act as if everything was fine. I had to personally show him the menu that shows the transponder signal strength and show him that I was NOT getting the signal. He finally admitted he didn't know how to fix it and that I needed to call Directv and have someone else come out and fix it. At least he finally admitted that he wasn't able to finish the job. I mean how hard is it to train someone properly on how to do their job? I understand that it can be somewhat of a challenge to fine tune the dishes but they have equipment to help them do this. I know. I work for a tv station and part of my job as an engineer is to tune in satellite feeds on a regular basis. I am just amazed that they would send someone out who isn't qualified to do the job!

Well I feel for you , but as much as I hate to say it, it happens. With both companies. Just bad luck I guess for you

About the work order, did he offer it to you to sign? Or did he forget? Or what? Something about that sounds off

He said he would come back and finish the job...he had to go to another job because he was late. He didn't ask me to sign anything the first day. On Monday when he left, I signed the work order. I wrote on the work order that the job was not done to my satisfaction.

Which brings me to this point:

I am in no way anti-immigrant or anything of the sort. I think if someone wants to come here from another country, work hard and contribute that's great. But by god, at least TRY to learn the language. That's the greatest barrier I have when I go to a customer who is either Spanish, Philipino etc. Grante most can speak decent english with a heavy accent of their home country and I understand that. It's the one who don't even bother to make an effort to learn English and get pissed when you don't understand them or expect you to know THEIR language.

Anyway off my soapbox, sounds like this guy was relatively new at this and may not have been working very long. Where do you live? Sounds like the dish isn't peaked maybe.

I've had a total of 3 D* installs. Those 3 installs have required a total of 10 installer visits. And all 3 times, things were working when the installer left but reception issues arose before the end of the day. All 3 times, on the 2nd installer visit the person couldn't fix the problem. So I feel your pain.

And oh goody, I have an install scheduled for this Friday. But its only a receiver swap, so hopefully they can't do much wrong. Hell, take it out of the box and hand it to me, and I'll hook it up myself.

I've had one D* install, one visit. All signals above 85 in strength for the Slimline dish. But then, I install for E*, so it was kind of a cakewalk for him. XD

Hope you get your install done right soon!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts