Really confused.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

risin

Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I am posting here becuase I have brighthouse and live in the Tampa Bay area; if I should post this somewhere else please let me know. Our cable plan has all the HD channels, they work fine with the cable box, but I am trying to do this without a box.

I have been reading on how to get HDTV through a tuner card (happauge HVR-1800), and I can't find any solid answers. This is what I think I know.

You can get HDTV through OTA using an HD antenna? this is also called ASTC? I have not tried this yet as I do not have an antenna.

You can get Clear QAM HD channels through the cable? If so, what software do you recommend. WMC doesn't have much freedom, and I haven't had any luck with WINTV.

BHN generally WILL NOT provide you unencrypted HD signals on QAM channels. BHN employees in other threads on this forum have made that eminently clear, emphasizing they are not legally required to.

BHN does not offer "Cleam Qam" services. If you wish to receive Digital signals without a box at this time you need to get a cable card. BHN only broadcast "clear" analog signals. Some HD channels and other digital channels you can find on BHN but they often move locations, so its a guess where they will be at the time.

You can pick up HD OTA channels with a HD tuner and Antenna. If your tv has a built in HD tuner, and you have an antenna should not be much a problem.

I have Brighthouse in the Tampa Bay area. Brighthouse does offer the local broadcast channels in clear QAM format. I currently use a device called an HDHomerun made by a company called Silicondust to access these channels from Windows Vista Media Center. It provides two HD tuners for QAM or OTA HD signals.

I am not familiar with the card you are attempting to use, but I think the answer to your question is yes, you can receive clear QAM channels. However, Brighthouse clear QAM is only limited to the broadcast channels and a few others(nothing of significance).

I actually have two analog tuners and the two HD tuners in my HTPC and so I can record 4 programs at once with no problem. I assume that this is what you are trying to achieve?

I have read from several sources that the cable companies by law must provide the local broadcast channels unencrypted. Some cable companies provide many more channels in clear QAM, however, Brighthouse provides only the bare minimum, it seems.

Here is a list of the clear QAM channels in the Tampa Bay area.
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=33635

Since everyone else seems to have missed the other part of the guys question, OTA HD. I would concentrate on OTA more than clear QAM. With the right antenna, you can get quite a few channels.

There is an OTA sub forum on here you should check out. There are some very informative people over there. The first place I would start is AntennaWeb. This will help you select a good antenna to hit as many of the OTA stations at once and provide a good signal for enjoyable viewing.

If you have BHN cable you are better to go with a set top box instead of a cable card. With the cable card you only have one way communication with their headend. This means no guide, no pay per views, no VOD, not to mention the FOD's also available with a box.

Just pay the extra couple of bucks and get a set top box!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)