Really strange recording problem 721/921

Rob Relf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Just lately I have been having some recording problems with my formerly reliable 721. Some shows recorded in the evening to late evening will have severe macroblocking and loss of audio at times and will even go to a black "acquiring signal" screen. I have noticed it especially on Jay Leno which I record every night. Sometimes the show is all but unwatchable, but this is not at all consistent from day to day. It happened several times during American Idol tonight, no rain or wind, maybe upper 40's outside. I plan to start recording Leno on both tuners of the 721 to see if I can start to narrow things down. Last week I also started recording the same program on my 921 (local by satellite, not OTA) so I could compare reception (DPP44, 2 coax to 721, single coax with separator to 921). Now for the really strange part: I was watching one of the Leno shows on the 721 and suddenly I was back at the start of the program. In experimenting, I found that if I started fast-forwarding at the start of the show, the progress bar would show only about 7 minutes remaining of the 60 minute recording. During this period, you can hit play and it will play normally. When the time remaining hits zero, it instantly jumps to 1590 minutes remaining! It continues to fast forward at any speed you choose but if you hit play or back the speed down below 4x with the reverse button after the counter reaches zero you are instantly back at the start of the program. If you let it continue to fast forward, you can scan the entire show and after the counter reaches about 1560 it suddenly drops back to about 34 minutes remaining but still jumps back to the start if you try to play. It gets stranger! Tonight I tried to watch the same date program on the 921 and it exhibited the EXACT same behavior! I can only guess that this is tied to the guide somehow for two independent dvr's to have this identical phenomenon occur. Has anyone seen anything like this? (It has actually happened twice in a couple of weeks on the 721, I didn't have the 921 mirroring Leno the first time.) I would really hate to have this happen on an important recording--

Rob

It happened again--

When I watched Leno the other night, it happened again! A few minutes into the show it jumps back to the start. When you first start watching if you fast forward it shows only a few minutes remaining. After it reaches zero minutes it jumps to 15,600 minutes and if you keep fast forwarding, the count eventually starts to look normal again but if you then hit play, you are instantly back at the start. If I let it get very close to the end of the program I can hit play and it will work normally. Hasn't anyone else had anything like this?

Rob

Yeah - similar (same?) problem was reported on the 921 forum at DBSTak some months ago. Fix is expected "soon" (read: the year 20-never - jut like the rest of the bugs).

Yep, similar problem on my 721. Severe macro blocking and loss of audio. Occasionally an "acquiring signal" screen. On recorded programming only. A real pain. Anyone else?

Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)