Rear Projection TVs a thing of the past?

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
I've had my eye on the Sony KDS60A3000 LCoS micro display TV. Saw this Engadget article on another site -

Sony dumping all rear-projection TVs to focus on LCDs?
t's unconfirmed at the moment, but we're hearing that Sony is planning to discontinue sales of all rear-projection HDTVs, including its 3LCD and SXRD lines, after current inventories are exhausted to focus on the hot-selling Bravia LCD line. We've been tipped on it twice today and now This Week In Consumer Electronics is reporting that a Sony spokesperson has told them that "We are moving our resources more toward LCD TV, because that's what people really want." It looks like all backorders for the KDSZ70XBR5 are being canceled, as the unit will never be manufactured, and Sony's making a "no promises" effort to fill backorders for the KDF46E3000 and KDS60A3000. The move isn't exactly unprecedented or even all that surprising -- Toshiba, Philips and Hitachi have all stopped producing rear-projection sets, but Sony's SXRDs were still extremely popular and it's strange to see them get dropped just like that. Check the full leaked email we got after the break.

Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:01 PM
To: [redacted]
Subject: FW: Sony #-LCD and SXRD Announcment

To All-
I've spoken to some of you regarding Sony's announcement yesterday re: the discontinuation of all MDPJ sets including E-series 3-LCD, A and XBR-series SXRD. Here's an unofficial statement from our internal news:

Sony to Stop MDPJ Production
Dec. 17 - Due to the high consumer demand for BRAVIA flat-panel LCD televisions combined with the accelerating industry trend toward flat-panel displays, Sony Electronics will discontinue producing rear-projection televisions based on 3LCD and Silicon X-tal Reflective Display technologies.
- All backorders for KDSZ70XBR5 are now cancelled as this set will not be produced.
- We do expect to fill existing backorders for KDF46E3000 and KDS60A3000 – if you need either of these models, LAST CHANCE, ORDER NOW and we will do our best to fill your orders – no promises!!!

It sounds like you might get a good deal on a clearance sale, but not sure I want to buy a discontinued product - I have one of those already, it's called a CRT based HDTV.

I kinda hate seeing the trend going to only flat panel HDTVs, I havene't been impressed at all at the LCDs I've looked at, but then I'm looking in the 55" - 65" size range. I was impressed with the 60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma display I saw at BB/Magnolia, but I don't want to have to wait until I win the Arizona Lottery to buy a new HDTV. :p

I don't think the DLP folks will join the trend unless TI stops manufacturing the chips or falls way behind in quality/price.

LCD/LCoS/plasma panels are sexy but I can't say 5" vs. 20" is that much of a difference.

Diogen.

I do not think it is a problem of demand, there is a ton of demand, but of margin. The prices of rear projection have fallen so far so fast. Sony does not want to be a discount brand. They are moving out of the market segment because they cannot get the premium they want.

Look at the LCD market. On amazon you can get the Samsung LNT5271F for $2500, but the 52XBR4 costs $3500. Same glass made at the same factory, both 120HZ sets, etc. but Sony can demand a $1000 premium.

I don't think they are a thing of the past, I have an Sony LCD projection and its the best possible tv setup for my living room. 60" at a price I can afford The way it sits and the picture quality people have no idea its NOT a flat panel display, It sits in a corner on an entertainment center and looks PERFECT.

Well I do think it all depends on, still many people satisfied with the projection tvs, you should judge from it's specifications. And if you want to buy a budget tv, you can now go to the CircuitCity, they are now offering a sale on HDTVs, it is said that save up to $1000 instantly on HDTVs. You can have a look at the details. Maybe you can find something good there. And if you just use your tv for moives not for gaming, I think you'd better get a plasma and pay more attention to the brightness, viewing angles also. Anyway hope this helps.

I recently bought two DLPs, a 56 and 61 inch Samsung 1080p for less than the cost of one plasma or LCD. The picture is better (no screendoor effect) and I am very satisfied.

I spend a lot of time in TV stores. My local BB sums it up. Just a year or 2 ago, there were rows of rear projection, at least one row to CRTs, and only a handful of large Plasmas and LCD, both of which were faily expensive. Today, there are zero CRTs, perhaps 6 rear projections (just a couple months ago there were several times more), and maybe 200 LCDs and Plasma.

No doubt, DLPs and any other rear projections will soon be a thing of the past. They only exist because they cost less for the same size.

This is not to say you shouldn't buy a DLP now. I just bought a 57" Mitsu. It was a good price, 1080p, great picture, relaible manufacture, less glare than any LCD's or Plasmas Iv'e seen (and I've seen a whole lot).

The only drawback of DLPs that I care at all about is that they are all somewhat distorted. You can see this even in the stores by forcing a 4x3picture.

If this doesn't bother you (I've noticed that this does not bother many people, and especiall those with glasses), I say save some $$ and go with DLP.

I think Sony wants the higher profit margin. And they seem to have had more problems (green blob, etc) with their SXRD (LCoS) sets than JVC has had with theirs (DiLA).

RPTVs are not the future. Hang it on the wall is the future, especially if OLEDs work out and you've got a light, thin, cheap, excellent HDTV to hang up. But today, there's more bang for the buck with an RPTV. I love my 61" JVC DiLA but I figured it was an interim TV on the way to a wall hanging unit. I figured it was a 5 year TV. Now it looks like it'll be my main TV for closer to 10. And many folks are happy with their DLPs, too.

I really think folks should look at the LCD and plasma direct view (hang on the wall) TVs- especially at their prices. And then look at non-CRT RPTVs. They'll see excellent, perhaps better, PQ, and greater size for less money. Around $1500 buys 61" or more and 1080p in an RPTV

I've liked the sony rptv's and wanted to get the 42 inch for a while because it was at a price that I was close to afording but then it went up a couple hundred bucks with the new line. The picture has definitely been good on it but I cant say its better than some lcd's or plasma's but each has their own opinion though I cant say that a BB or CC show room will give you the ability to properly judge any set.

Wall mountable tv's will be a big thing for a while but in the end I think video projection and paper thin display walls if they can get the idea working. Gotta say that if I had a choice between rptv and lcd / plasma I'd go with lcd / plasma for the space savings.

I agree that the flat screen is the TV of the future, but don't write off DLP's just yet. They are thinner than the old CRT based RPTV's, weigh a lot less, and the service on one is easy. All the guts are in one shoebox size unit which can be easily removed to take to the shop or for the service person to take out. You don't have to take the entire TV to a shop or service center. I predict that as prices fall, you will see the DLP become the HDTV of choice for the "blue-collar" class. The picture is excellent, the weight is light, and if it needs service, it's easy to work on. Economically speaking, it's a smart choice. And, it does'nt burn in either. There will come a time that the LCD's and Plasma's will be the TV of choice, but I think DLP's will be around for a long time to come. CRT based TV's are definately on the way out. I'm already looking at trying to replace my "going on 7 year old" Hitachi RPHDTV. The pic is still good but doing the convergence is beginning to be a bit of a hassle. You don't have that problem with DLP's.

The main turnoff for me against the DLPs and other rear projection types is the necessity to replace a light bulb after 5,000 hours,now the Samsungs have a DLP with LED light engine rated at 20,000 hours.But until the prices drop on the LCD and plasma flat panels there will definately be a market for the 50" to 70" DLP HDRPTVs.I have a 7 year old 50" RPTV and I still can't get excited yet about replacing it.I've been quoted $1500.00 to replace the 3 CRT tubes if and when they go out.So until the prices for the new ones drop down in that price range I'll probably just repair and keep it going.:)

Last edited:
The main turnoff for me against the DLPs and other rear projection types is the necessity to replace a light bulb after 5,000 hours,now the Samsungs have a DLP with LED light engine rated at 20,000 hours.But until the prices drop on the LCD and plasma flat panels there will definately be a market for the 50" to 70" DLP HDRPTVs.I have a 7 year old 50" RPTV and I still can't get excited yet about replacing it.I've been quoted $1500.00 to replace the 3 CRT tubes if and when they go out.So until the prices for the new ones drop down in that price range I'll probably just repair and keep it going.:)

Changing the bulb is easy with DLP's few mins. The bulbs use to be $250+ but now you can go on Amazon and get then for half that. And look a the bright side after you change the bulb it as if you have a brand new TV again. I got RCA DLP I was concerned about having a TV with internal moving parts (color wheel), but so far so good 25 months and counting.

The main turnoff for me against the DLPs and other rear projection types is the necessity to replace a light bulb after 5,000 hours,.......I've been quoted $1500.00 to replace the 3 CRT tubes if and when they go out.So until the prices for the new ones drop down in that price range I'll probably just repair and keep it going.:)

You're concerned that you might have to replace a vaguely $200 bulb that will restore your TV to like new condition, but aren't fazed by spending $1500 on a set that might be developing other problems (convergence, etc)? When $1500 will buy an entire new HDTV?

Something doesn't add up here.

You're concerned that you might have to replace a vaguely $200 bulb that will restore your TV to like new condition, but aren't fazed by spending $1500 on a set that might be developing other problems (convergence, etc)? When $1500 will buy an entire new HDTV?

Something doesn't add up here.

What doesn't add up?.That my SO and myself don't like widescreen TVs?.So we believe that keeping the old set is a good idea?.That happens when you have a fixed income.;)

Oh that's a $1500. investment for 15 years,still a good investment to us.:)

This complicates matters since we are going to need another 60+ inch HDTV when we move in a couple months. We've decided to leave our 4 1/2 year old 55" Mits Diamond CRT RPTV (still in perfect condition) with whomever buys our house. We picked up a Mits Diamond DLP (831) back in February and love the set, however I was thinking of getting a Sony since PS3 games and BD are easier to play and adjust video settings on our Sony LCD RPTV. Ugh!:confused:

I guess this limits our choice to this years Mits Diamond DLP (833) or perhaps search for a close-out deal on a Sony. Hmmm...maybe I should just wait for the new line Mitsubishi, Sony and Samsung Laster TVs to hit the market. Of course, this may not be the best option since I thought my last HDTV purchase was going to be a SED.:eek:

My Mits Diamond CRT still looks fantastic BTW...

I think Sony wants the higher profit margin. And they seem to have had more problems (green blob, etc) with their SXRD (LCoS) sets than JVC has had with theirs (DiLA).

RPTVs are not the future. Hang it on the wall is the future, especially if OLEDs work out and you've got a light, thin, cheap, excellent HDTV to hang up. But today, there's more bang for the buck with an RPTV. I love my 61" JVC DiLA but I figured it was an interim TV on the way to a wall hanging unit. I figured it was a 5 year TV. Now it looks like it'll be my main TV for closer to 10. And many folks are happy with their DLPs, too.

I really think folks should look at the LCD and plasma direct view (hang on the wall) TVs- especially at their prices. And then look at non-CRT RPTVs. They'll see excellent, perhaps better, PQ, and greater size for less money. Around $1500 buys 61" or more and 1080p in an RPTV

The AP news story on Yahoo this morning confirms your Sony profit margin thinking -

Sony is dropping its money-losing rear-projection TV business worldwide to focus on two flat panel technologies — liquid crystal display and organic light-emitting diode, the company said Thursday. Thursday.

Sales of rear-projection TVs had been declining recently as LCD TVs gain in popularity and get bigger, Sony Corp. spokesman Shinji Obana said.

In October, Sony lowered its global sales forecast for rear-projection TVs — which uses a projector to create images on large screens — to 400,000 from 700,000, which is down from 1.1 million the previous fiscal year. By contrast, Sony expects to sell 10 million LCD TVs this fiscal year through March, up from 6.3 million the previous year.

In the fiscal half-year through September, Sony lost 60 billion yen ($526.3 million) in its TV operations, partly because of losses tied to rear-projection TVs. Diving prices of LCD TVs also contributed to the red ink, Obana said.

I have to agree rear projection displays are not the future, but I've always liked them because of the more reasonable pricing for my preferred TV size of 55-65", and space has never been an issue for me; I like big houses.

On a brighter note, I was shopping for an HDTV because my Sony 57" RP CRT was losing it's brightness - the picture seem dull, and dark scenes were hard to distinguish details. It's past its extended warranty, and I figured bulb replacement / repair would not be cost effective compared to prices for a new TV. But a friend of mine who has an even earlier model scoffed at that and suggested taking off the back cover & cleaning it. Yep, the CRT bulbs were covered with a layer of dust, as was the mirror. This TV has lived in Vegas, Tucson & now the boonies east of Tucson - some of the driest, dustiest places around. I cleaned everything up and it's almost like a new TV, the picture is so clear & bright.

So, I'll put off a new TV purchase for now, and hope those plasma prices keep dropping. :)

You lucked out!

Anyway, at 30-40% price declines each year, it's easy to wait a bit longer as long as you have some kind of HDTV.

Sad news I really like my 57" rear projection TV. I have it in the Rec room and it has a great picture. I would have replaced it with another, when it goes bad, if they were still being made.

I like it better than my 32" Sony LCD in the bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts