Warning on 85" TVs

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Short story - Warning to watch the size of the feet on these 85" TVs. I never thought to check and today I learned most media cabinets/TV stands are 16" deep, but the feet on the 85" Sony are 18".

Long story - Costco had an 85" LG in this month's sales flyer for $1099. I have sworn off LG products due to reliability concerns, but it was bundled with an extended warranty that gave it 5 years of coverage and this was too good of a deal to pass up. Get to Costco and I am told they had to pull them from the shelf due to a safety recall but they had an 85" Sony for $1,599 that seemed like a really good deal so I went with that.

Get the Sony home and realize it won't fit on the current stand due to the depth of the feet! So go to the furniture store tonight and buy a new stand, $900. So if you're keeping track, my $1,099 TV has now cost me $2,500 so far.

Current situation -

O9SVyuA.jpg

Short story - Warning to watch the size of the feet on these 85" TVs. I never thought to check and today I learned most media cabinets/TV stands are 16" deep, but the feet on the 85" Sony are 18".

Long story - Costco had an 85" LG in this month's sales flyer for $1099. I have sworn off LG products due to reliability concerns, but it was bundled with an extended warranty that gave it 5 years of coverage and this was too good of a deal to pass up. Get to Costco and I am told they had to pull them from the shelf due to a safety recall but they had an 85" Sony for $1,599 that seemed like a really good deal so I went with that.

Get the Sony home and realize it won't fit on the current stand due to the depth of the feet! So go to the furniture store tonight and buy a new stand, $900. So if you're keeping track, my $1,099 TV has now cost me $2,500 so far.

Current situation -

O9SVyuA.jpg
My guess is most are wall mounted these days but if you rent this might be impossible. I would think a 24" depth would be minimal to hold and equipment in it! I will keep this in mind for sure.

Reactions: AZ.
Is that a Sony X80K? If so it has an ATSC 3.0 / Nextgen TV tuner.

In Phoenix there are 10 Nextgen TV stations broadcasting.

My Sony is a 65" X850G, which is one generation shy of being NextGen TV capable. But I don't think they are actually broadcasting 4K content yet.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Is that a Sony X80K? If so it has an ATSC 3.0 / Nextgen TV tuner.

In Phoenix there are 10 Nextgen TV stations broadcasting.

My Sony is a 65" X850G, which is one generation shy of being NextGen TV capable. But I don't think they are actually broadcasting 4K content yet.

Yes, it's an X80K. I haven't noticed any benefit to the ATSC 3.0 tuner but the guide is really nice. All of my OTA viewing is done through a Wally but I do have a splitter to run the antenna directly into the TV.

5a7YO6D.jpg

Yes, it's an X80K. I haven't noticed any benefit to the ATSC 3.0 tuner but the guide is really nice. All of my OTA viewing is done through a Wally but I do have a splitter to run the antenna directly into the TV.

5a7YO6D.jpg
It might be worth a try going directly into the TV to see what's on the NextGen TV stations.

Also, if you had gotten the LG UP8770 you would not have NextGen TV capability. So even though it cost more, I think you are better off with the Sony.

It might be worth a try going directly into the TV to see what's on the NextGen TV stations.

Also, if you had gotten the LG UP8770 you would not have NextGen TV capability. So even though it cost more, I think you are better off with the Sony.

The Sony is without question a better TV, LG is really bottom of the barrel garbage. I just see TVs as throwaways.

• Love
Reactions: JackNet and HipKat
I went from an LG to a Sony and agree with dishdude that Sony is much better. The picture quality between my Sony X900H and my buddy's LG UN8500 is strikingly better. I'll take AndroidOS over WebOS any day, too, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them garbage. I'd put Vizio in that category, before LG

Reactions: dishdude and N6BY

Current situation -

O9SVyuA.jpg
Why didn't you just buy one of these? That's what I did...

Ok, maybe people just don't know these exist, so in hopes of saving a ton of money for people that read this in the future, there's ALL different sizes of these center stands.

The following is an Amazon link. IF you can't see it, turn OFF your ad-blocker temporarily, and hit REFRESH:

P.S. Just for safety reasons, my sound bar is mounted between the bottom of my tv sets screen, and the top of this stand (it slides up and down to adjust for tv sizes). That way the tv could NEVER tip over (even though the base is so heavy, that's very unlikely)
P.P.S I also have straps from the top corner of the back of the tv set, and screwed to the tv stand. That way it REALLY can't be tipped over, such as a little kid excited at Barney, lol

Amazon product ASIN B07M6114YMView: https://www.amazon.com/Rfiver-Universal-Adjustable-Management-UT5001/dp/B07M6114YM

IMG_20221009_172332921.jpg

Why didn't you just buy one of these? That's what I did...

Ok, maybe people just don't know these exist, so in hopes of saving a ton of money for people that read this in the future, there's ALL different sizes of these center stands.

The following is an Amazon link. IF you can't see it, turn OFF your ad-blocker temporarily, and hit REFRESH:

P.S. Just for safety reasons, my sound bar is mounted between the bottom of my tv sets screen, and the top of this stand (it slides up and down to adjust for tv sizes). That way the tv could NEVER tip over (even though the base is so heavy, that's very unlikely)
P.P.S I also have straps from the top corner of the back of the tv set, and screwed to the tv stand. That way it REALLY can't be tipped over, such as a little kid excited at Barney, lol

Amazon product ASIN B07M6114YMView: https://www.amazon.com/Rfiver-Universal-Adjustable-Management-UT5001/dp/B07M6114YM

View attachment 158905

Considered that, also wall mounting. Really not a fan of the look of either.

Reactions: primestar31
... I'll take AndroidOS over WebOS any day, too ...
I wasn't aware of WebOS before you mentioned it in this thread - thanks. I just read a comparison review: Android TV vs webOS: Here's how Google and LG's TV platforms compare and it sounds like WebOS is LG specific, and there are more apps available for AndroidOS.

So, yeah, I am glad I ended up with an Android TV.

And I went through the same thing as dishdude when I moved up from a 55" screen to 65". I had to get a bigger TV cabinet. (Didn't know I could swap out the stand back then). But I am glad that I replaced the cabinet with something larger. The old one didn't match our furniture anyway.

I went from an LG to a Sony and agree with dishdude that Sony is much better. The picture quality between my Sony X900H and my buddy's LG UN8500 is strikingly better. I'll take AndroidOS over WebOS any day, too, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them garbage. I'd put Vizio in that category, before LG

We had a bunch of LG failures in the family that occurred in a short period of time. My parents killed two LG TVs before they were less than 3 years old, my brother's compressor died in his LG refrigerator and a new central AC I had installed in my house died in the first week...the part that failed was the LG compressor.

I've had NextGen TV stations in my market for quite a while now and the only win seems to be that the Fox station is sending a 1080p stream (I can't tell if it is upconverted). Everything else is pretty much the same as the DTV version so all in all, there is little (or nothing) to be gained unless you have a local channel that isn't lighthousing.

Reactions: N6BY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)