TVs with analog PAL tuners (2 Viewers)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
You know, I thought of another unused TV that I could try. It's a portable with a 7" screen which IIRC could tune both ATSC and NTSC. I never used it after an extended hurricane-induced power failure which killed all the TV in the house. (It came with a car charger.) I might get lucky and discover it can also render PAL...
So much for my memory. This portable TV was ATSC-only. I can't even get the built-in antenna off in order to connect up a coax.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
If you’re willing to spend some more money, B&H Photo has this KanexPro composite to HDMI converter for under $90:

That’s assuming the output from the Knit King is PAL composite video, of course. If it’s RF then you’ll need a tuner that handles UK broadcast frequencies. And that brings into question your description of the “3/4” label on the switch on the Knit King. The frequencies used for UK PAL analog broadcasts don’t really match up with our NTSC channel numbers. Here’s a page I found that lists the UK channels and frequencies:

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Stupid question

Have you tried youtube for an instructional video?
Its unbelievable what you might find there

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
That’s assuming the output from the Knit King is PAL composite video, of course. If it’s RF then you’ll need a tuner that handles UK broadcast frequencies. And that brings into question your description of the “3/4” label on the switch on the Knit King. The frequencies used for UK PAL analog broadcasts don’t really match up with our NTSC channel numbers.
I know for a fact that my Cielo detects either channel 3 or 4 (depending upon that switch position) just fine, and I also know that the screen is blank w/no sound. Does it really make sense to try running the output into a composite input instead of a tuner?

It's plausible to me that my memory is faulty and the Cielo doesn't have an NTSC tuner; that would cause the blank screen as well. But online people are talking about using these PAL tuner sticks so I think it's PAL that is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread