TVs with analog PAL tuners

You know, I thought of another unused TV that I could try. It's a portable with a 7" screen which IIRC could tune both ATSC and NTSC. I never used it after an extended hurricane-induced power failure which killed all the TV in the house. (It came with a car charger.) I might get lucky and discover it can also render PAL...
So much for my memory. This portable TV was ATSC-only. I can't even get the built-in antenna off in order to connect up a coax.

If you’re willing to spend some more money, B&H Photo has this KanexPro composite to HDMI converter for under $90:

That’s assuming the output from the Knit King is PAL composite video, of course. If it’s RF then you’ll need a tuner that handles UK broadcast frequencies. And that brings into question your description of the “3/4” label on the switch on the Knit King. The frequencies used for UK PAL analog broadcasts don’t really match up with our NTSC channel numbers. Here’s a page I found that lists the UK channels and frequencies:

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Stupid question

Have you tried youtube for an instructional video?
Its unbelievable what you might find there

That’s assuming the output from the Knit King is PAL composite video, of course. If it’s RF then you’ll need a tuner that handles UK broadcast frequencies. And that brings into question your description of the “3/4” label on the switch on the Knit King. The frequencies used for UK PAL analog broadcasts don’t really match up with our NTSC channel numbers.
I know for a fact that my Cielo detects either channel 3 or 4 (depending upon that switch position) just fine, and I also know that the screen is blank w/no sound. Does it really make sense to try running the output into a composite input instead of a tuner?

It's plausible to me that my memory is faulty and the Cielo doesn't have an NTSC tuner; that would cause the blank screen as well. But online people are talking about using these PAL tuner sticks so I think it's PAL that is the problem.

Well, I thought I'd update everybody on the state of my Knit King PPD (programmer) that came from the UK. I bought a USB tuner/adapter that an American lady got working: an ATI TV Wonder HD750 which comes with a host of little adapters and a dinky antenna, as well as Arcsoft TotalMedia 3.5. I struggled for a long time (an hour?) installing the drivers on a W10 laptop. Then I spent hours more installing TotalMedia. (The installer was being prevented from running by W10.) After all that strain and pain, TotalMedia claimed it could not find a compatible adapter!

So I gave up on that W10 laptop and went to my handy/dandy W7 desktop and the software installed right away without errors, ran fine, found and controlled the adapter, and I see it works fine for local ATSC channels. The TV Wonder has an analog tuner as well, and it's an international version with about 20 different video standards that I could choose. The American lady who got this working said hers, like my wife's Knit King has a selector switch for channels 3 or 4, and it uses the PAL standard. I can scan for NTSC signals, or PAL signals, and see either channel 3 or channel 4 being sent out from the Knit King. But in no case, no matter which of about 6 or 8 PAL standards, do I actually see a picture. All I see is noise somewhat like snow.

I conclude that my TV Wonder TV tuner/adapter is working, but the Knit King PPD is semi-defunct. What a waste of time and money. :crying

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA and dishdude
Thanks for the update.

I threw away my TV Wonders many years ago, when I started watching HD on a TV and not a PC. It was a good cheap way to see HD etc in the early days.

Reactions: TheKrell
It was a good cheap way to see HD etc in the early days.
Yup; and it's a great way to record, using the OTA guide, and play it anywhere that can play an MPEG-2 program stream. Our Hoppers sometimes lack a correct guide, and you can't pull the recordings out of the Dish ecosystem and watch them on anything else. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)