Rebates before or after the install, which is better?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
As you know I am signing up for Direct TV. My retailer said I have to wait until i am inside the 30 day window of installation before I can sign up because the receivers must be activated within 30 days. I see I have two options for the rebates. I can sign up for the rebates between the time I sign up for service and receive my account number and before installation or I can wait until after the installation is completed.

The positive for signing up before installation, they say if you do this, ALL rebates will be reflected on my first bill. This looks good but are there any negatives? Do you give away your right to anything or lose anything doing this?

I read somewhere that it is better to wait until after installation before submitting your rebates, is there a good reason for this? What would be the case for doing it this way?

Thank you.

I did it before so they would show up on my first bill and if they didn't, I could correct it immediately. All went well.

S~

Yes, submit them before the install. I did it after the install and had to wait until the next month for credits to show up. They will bill you the day after your install.

This is clearly answered in the sticky in this forum.

Stonecold, I searched the direct tv sticky's and did not find anything. Please see my questions, i am not just asking what is best, i was also asking if there was a case for doing it after the install. If these questions are answered, please direct me in that direction.

Thanks.

The day the technician arrives with a work order in hand is still before the installation. If rebates are processed prior to you and he/she determining that the work order calls for what you wanted done..number of receivers/DVRs is correct/MRV or not/Cinema Plus or not..... then getting the work order corrected at that point entails cancelling that order and starting over the sometime painful process of ordering. Work orders can usually be quickly changed if rebates have not been processed. Before install is best..just before.

I won't tell you what is the best policy, but every time I call for a work order change and rebates have already been applied for, they cancel the work order and build a new one which means the customer has to apply for them again. (However, I have a way around this that many installers do not).

Anyways, that being said, if you are 100% sure that not only you will not change your mind on equipment and that they did not screw up your work order then I would apply before.
Otherwise, I would say (and this is solely from my experience only) that it is better to apply after and just take the rebates on the second bill. You still get 12 months at the discount.

Stonecold, I searched the direct tv sticky's and did not find anything. Please see my questions, i am not just asking what is best, i was also asking if there was a case for doing it after the install. If these questions are answered, please direct me in that direction.

Thanks.

I apologize I stand corrected I thought I put in to apply for the rebates before your install to make sure it was on your first months bill.

While submitting the rebates keeps us from change the order we can always do a hardware correction order to correct any of the mistakes after install if you call with in 14 days of install.

This has no negative affect on the installer as it not considered a rollback unlike what some believe .

While submitting the rebates keeps us from change the order we can always do a hardware correction order to correct any of the mistakes after install if you call with in 14 days of install.

Yeah, and often I have to to tell customers that if I do not have the equipment on my truck so I can still get the install.

However, I suppose there is two ways to look at it.

If you are ok with the possibility of having to schedule a second appointment for corrections then apply for the rebate prior to the install and see it on your first bill.

If you are ok with seeing it on your second bill knowing you still get 12 months at the rebated price but want to lessen the risk of having to set a second appointment for work order changes then wait til after the appointment.

Many installers carry spares receivers when possible for DOA's and can accommodate minor work order changes.
However, I know of many that will not make work order changes if they think it will involve having to cancel rebuild as it not only takes too much time but it also shows as a cancellation hurting our numbers.

If D* would fix this issue, it would not only create better customer service, it would cut down on the cost of having to pay another tech to have to go back out to make the change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)