Received my monthly call from Cablevision.

darrengs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2012
NJ
Received my monthly call from Cablevision, offering an "incredible" deal to switch from Dish to them for TV.

Cablevision: "Is there any reason why you are with Dish instead of Cablevision for your TV?"

Me: "Well, actually there are two."

Cablevision: "What would they be?"

Me: "Their technology is light years ahead of yours, I can watch my TV anywhere via their sling adapter, and their whole home DVR is incredible."

Cablevision: "We offer some remote apps, if we had whole DVR would you switch?"

Me: "Well there is the other reason as well."

Cablevision: "What would that be?"

Me: "During the Hurricane none of my neighbors or friends with cable had TV, some for over a week. Yet I was able to watch the news and record all of my shows even while on generator power."

Cablevision: "Oh....uhh...ummm...well if we get whole home DVR I will call you back."

Comcast does the same thing to me. They called me last week asking which services I had with them, I told them internet only even though they should already have that information... Then she said "I'm sorry sir, we can't get a technician out to set up cable TV until next week"... I was like "did I order comcast tv or are you messing with me?" incompetency....

last time comcast called me i said "sure i'll take it, when can you be here"
they scheduled for 2 days later.
got a call "umm we dont have service to you"
responce "hey you called me, run the line. its not my problem you didnt know you dont service me, you offered it"

they havent called since, been 3 years now

I had comcast cable for MLB network back when dish refused to carry it.

It was horrible, and after 5 failed attempts to install a cable card in my TiVo, I was done with them.

I'm a bit surprised that I have not gotten 1 phone call or offer trying to win me back.

I go to cancel, and not 1 rebuttle or special offer attempt to save my business.

Either they don't care or read all the notes on my account with the TiVo and didn't even want to bother trying

I'm a bit surprised that I have not gotten 1 phone call or offer trying to win me back.

I go to cancel, and not 1 rebuttle or special offer attempt to save my business.

That reminds me of my mom leaving Comcast. She had everything except HD and dvrs for two tv's and also phone. She was paying $190 :eek: at the time, so I called to see if they could come up with any deals for her. Since she was with them for over 20 years, I thought we could work something out. But all they offered was a $5 discount and then another $7 off for removing one of the stb's (the 2nd tv was failing anyway). When we had her switch to a competing cableco, all they did was schedule a tech to pick-up her equipment. No offers at that time either. And as far as I know, they've never called her to come back. And she left over 1 1/2 years ago.

I've been with Dish for over 15 years. I use TWC for internet and had their super basic cable package which ran about $15/mo. Earlier this fall I called to cancel the cable. The woman on the other end made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Internet plus basic HD cable with 1 dvr and 1 HD box for only about $7/mo more than I was paying ( total $69.99) for 2 years with no contract. And now since I bought my own modem it's over $3 less per month. If and when the NHL ends the lockout, I'll be able to watch the Sabres on TV. I told them that I wanted to keep Dish and they said no problem.

I got a call from Charter wanting me to come back to them for cabel and I have never had cabel with them and never will.I told him that I only have had internet and telephone with them and cancelled there telephone cause its sucked and always went of in middle of night causing my house alarm to go off about 7-8 times a month and I will never have thee telephone again and went back to at&t and haven't had a bit of problem though I hate at&t.I did tell them there internet kicks butt.I may get cellphone down the road and cancel landline down but see what special deals I can get before I do that :) He said he apologizes for mistaken on cable and said goodbye :D :)

Received my monthly call from Cablevision, offering an "incredible" deal to switch from Dish to them for TV.

Cablevision: "Is there any reason why you are with Dish instead of Cablevision for your TV?"

Me: "Well, actually there are two."

Cablevision: "What would they be?"

Me: "Their technology is light years ahead of yours, I can watch my TV anywhere via their sling adapter, and their whole home DVR is incredible."

Cablevision: "We offer some remote apps, if we had whole DVR would you switch?"

Me: "Well there is the other reason as well."

Cablevision: "What would that be?"

Me: "During the Hurricane none of my neighbors or friends with cable had TV, some for over a week. Yet I was able to watch the news and record all of my shows even while on generator power."

Cablevision: "Oh....uhh...ummm...well if we get whole home DVR I will call you back."

"But... But... Doesn't Dish go out in the rain!?!?"

ROFL.

Same experience here during the tornado events last year. Everyone was without cable for weeks, Dish was back as soon as power was restored (dang I wish I had a generator.)

Honestly having TV for the 8 days that power was out really made it easier to deal with. Because it was hard to get gas, we only ran the generator in the morning to heat the house up and get ready for work and school. Then we would run it again from dinner until around 11:00PM. My neighbor who has cable actually called me because his daughter reported that my wife was watching the news, and he thought we had cable as well. When she told him that it was Dish, he said that he may have to look into switching.

Yes, I like the fact that I have two different sevices. When internet/phone goes out, Dish still works and when Dish goes out, internet/phone still works. Although when Dish goes out it is only for a few minutes (30 minutes max). The last time my cable internet/phone was out it was for 8 hours (damn squirrels chewed through the lines :mad:).

When we had Hurricane Rita in 05 and Hurricane Ike in 08 , I had my spare sat dish back up and installed and working within 30 minutes after getting our electricity back. My sister on Time Warner Cable had to wait a month before her cable was back up and running. I now take my sat dish down before the hurricane hits so it won't be damaged and I have mine installed on a pole out back of my house. I learned after Rita that a sat dish 500 can be crushed into a permanent C from the wind alone.:eek:

Reminds me a few years ago the local cable company technicians went on strike.... someone of them went as far as to damage lines leaving thousands without TV until the strike was over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)