Received new annual bill!

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I just checked my account on E*. My annual bill without any changes to my programming, went up only $44.36, which is only a 4% increase from last year, $1060.41.

2005 2006 $increase
DVR Fee 59.76 60.00 +0.24 No DVR in '06
now extra receiver fee
America's Top 180 528.00 550.00 +22.00
Addit. Receiver 59.88 60.00 +0.12
KWGN Supers. 71.88 71.88 0.00
1 Yr HBO/Cimemax 231.00 253.00 +22.00
1 Yr Basic HD Pkg 109.89 109.89 0.00

Considering the how much gas has skyrocketed in my area since May '05, I think I can live with a $44 increase in my yearly E* bill!!!:)

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

I'm considering going with an annual plan, what's the savings over the same package(s) paid on a monthly basis? I thought I read somewhere that I could save roughly the same amount as one month's billing, is that correct?

Allin4greeN said:
I'm considering going with an annual plan, what's the savings over the same package(s) paid on a monthly basis? I thought I read somewhere that I could save roughly the same amount as one month's billing, is that correct?

Not anymore -- there used to be a 1 month saving for going annually. That has stopped. Paying annually is the sane as monthly x 12.

I pay all up front because there used to be a service charge for paying monthly. I am not sure but if you pay monthly and E* raises rates part way through your contact won't you be billed for the increase? I don't see the increase until my annual bill is due. Another reason for me to pay annually is that this is 1 less bill/month I have to worry about.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

NR2D, read up on the time value of money. Putting that $1060 in a money market account would easily earn enough interest to offset the timing of a rate increase. Moreover, in the case of an emergency (car, home, medical) your money isn't tied up so you're in a better position to take care of the problem.

I pay yearly just to avoid a possible late payment, and don't want to get into automatic monthly charges which are often screwed up, then it's difficult and time consuming to fix.

Yeah, if you don't get some benefit from paying yearly, I don't know why you would ever do it. If you can't remember to pay monthly just put it on auto pay.

I've found problems with auto pay -- double debits, etc. Then it's a hassle to fix.

You can do it your way -- I'll do it my way.

I have dish automatically charge my Discovercard monthly. This works out well because if there is a problem I have the right to challenge any billing errors, plus I only make one Quicken bill pay payment for everything that is on my Discovercard for the month. I have been doing this for a number of years and have not had any problems.

Another bonus is that Discover gives a cash rebate for all charges - not much but with everything else I put on the card I get a little cash bonus every now and then.

Hey the guy wants to pay Dish over $1,000 at one shot. Let him, of course he's crazy but it's his money.

GeorgeLV said:
NR2D, read up on the time value of money. Putting that $1060 in a money market account would easily earn enough interest to offset the timing of a rate increase. Moreover, in the case of an emergency (car, home, medical) your money isn't tied up so you're in a better position to take care of the problem.
I would think that it depends on how big (or small) of a rate increase and the APY on a money market...

4.5% x $1060 = $47.70

The benefits of time (compounding) and regular deposits could certainly make a difference in a few years... but overall, ~$50 a year is probably a small amount to pay for piece of mind.

Paying annually is not for me, since I wouldn't be saving anything versus paying monthly.

Allin4greeN said:
I would think that it depends on how big (or small) of a rate increase and the APY on a money market...

4.5% x $1060 = $47.70

The benefits of time (compounding) and regular deposits could certainly make a difference in a few years... but overall, ~$50 a year is probably a small amount to pay for piece of mind.

Paying annually is not for me, since I wouldn't be saving anything versus paying monthly.

Doesn't the peace of mind of having a $1,000 at you finger tips in case of an emergency outweigh the minor inconvenience of administering your television bill monthly rather than annually? Unless you're a CEO making $1000/hr, it is probably not rational to choose the annual subscription option unless there is an incentive like 12 months for the price of 11.

GeorgeLV said:
Doesn't the peace of mind of having a $1,000 at you finger tips in case of an emergency outweigh the minor inconvenience of administering your television bill monthly rather than annually? Unless you're a CEO making $1000/hr, it is probably not rational to choose the annual subscription option unless there is an incentive like 12 months for the price of 11.
I agree (and just realized I mis-spelled peace ;)). In the previous post, my last statement...
Allin4greeN said:
..was alluding to the fact that if I'm not saving the amount of one month's service, then I'm not interested in an annual payment plan. My other statements in the previous post were just an acknowledgment that some people may find the convenience of paying annually worth the price of admission.

Of course, money market accounts are only one way of investing cash for easy access... Most conservative recommendations that I've seen for emergency funds are for anywhere between 3-6 months of living expenses.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)