Receiver for prepaid

nissan4x4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Can you use any receiver for dish prepaid, because the vip series sounds like a good choice if you were able to use any receiver.also To set up a prepaid account
someone told me i should call customer service and setup a account through regular post pay customer service is this true?if so which has more benefits.
thanks,Ty

Can you use any receiver for dish prepaid, because the vip series sounds like a good choice if you were able to use any receiver.also To set up a prepaid account
someone told me i should call customer service and setup a account through regular post pay customer service is this true?if so which has more benefits.
thanks,Ty

No you cannot use any receiver to use the prepaid service it must be tagged in Dish's system as a prepaid unit. For right now that limits it to model 3900 and 301 receivers for prepaid service. If Dish decides to make HD service available via prepaid then you might see the 211 become available, but for now you're limited to those two receivers.

As nsafreak posted only 3900 & 301 receivers are elligible. DISH leases their receivers so as the old receivers come off lease DISH needs a home for them. PREPAID is the perfect use, the customer buys the equipment so DISH gets the original investment back. The prepaid customers are generally poor credit risks so they get customers they otherwise couldn't qualify. The customer gets programming that they otherwise probably couldn't get and DISH gets rid of old slow receivers without losing money.

I like the pre-pay idea for the fact that it is a no contract obligation. I know you don't get all the features and perks of a contract plan, but it is a good basic month to month deal.

I am assuming there is no HD either. My credit is good, but this would be nice to take camping or in the RV.

I don't have bad credit or anything i just like the idea of not being locked into a contract and besides standard definition looks really good on my hdtv.:D
Can you get ppv on prepaid?Which receiver is better the 3900 or the 301?

Last edited:
When I first started out, I had a couple of 301s. I didn't view them as slow. Just not DVRs.

right now im using a dish 300 pointed to 119 can i still receive ppv.local radio shack wants $99 for just the dish 500.

No, that is not right.

$99+tax gets you:

Dish 500 dish
either a DP301(most likely) or a Phillips 3900 STB
Mounting and Installation instructions

Here is a link to the thread about the prepaid option.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/123868-dish-network-prepaid-question.html

My posts are very wordy, but informative to those wanting the prepaid option.

The is NO PPV AVAILBALE through the prepaid option at this time. Sorry.

And NO HD, LOCAL CHANNELS, or LOCAL RSN(Regional Sports Network which includes any Fox SPorts Networks, NESN, YES, MSG, etc...) available at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts