Receiver questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Knights

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Here is my setup first. Directv came and setup a 5LNB dish 2 months ago. They installed HD DVR at no charge and I had 2 regular box also. I want to get another HDTV. Would there be any issue if I get an open box H20 receiver w/card of ebay? Would the receiver be consider mine or still there and I'm leasing it like a new box. Am I stuck with a 2 years contract once I activate it? I guess I would need to buy a switch also, because all 4 lines are being used now. Thanks for your help.

Off Ebay it would still be a lease and still a new 24 month contract. Just call Directv 800-531-5000 and ask to upgrade. It should cost you $99 for a H20 but the installation and switch should be free.

Off Ebay it would still be a lease and still a new 24 month contract.

I've been reading posts here and elsewhere saying if I bought a receiver off of Ebay or from Circuit City or Best Buy or anywhere I guess, that it's not mine. WHAT??? Is it just me or does this go against common sense? I bought an R15 from Walmart and have been thinking that it was mine. There is no lease charge on it. And after reading this, I called D* to see if it was mine, and they said it was. And I clarified that if I was to cancel today that I would not have to return this box and they said that I would not. So I'm a little confused. I don't think that I would knowingly go to the store and and pay major $$$ for a receiver and for it to only be a lease:eek:. That alone would cause me to think twice about becoming a new D* customer. I always leased equipment from E* and NEVER had to pay what appears to be retail price for it and have it not to be mine but only a lease.

I've been reading posts here and elsewhere saying if I bought a receiver off of Ebay or from Circuit City or Best Buy or anywhere I guess, that it's not mine. WHAT??? Is it just me or does this go against common sense? I bought an R15 from Walmart and have been thinking that it was mine. There is no lease charge on it. And after reading this, I called D* to see if it was mine, and they said it was. And I clarified that if I was to cancel today that I would not have to return this box and they said that I would not. So I'm a little confused. I don't think that I would knowingly go to the store and and pay major $$$ for a receiver and for it to only be a lease:eek:. That alone would cause me to think twice about becoming a new D* customer. I always leased equipment from E* and NEVER had to pay what appears to be retail price for it and have it not to be mine but only a lease.

The confusion lies in what you consider to be the retail price and what the retail price actually is. For example, the HR20 can be "purchased" at a major retailer for about $300. This is the leased equipment charge. If you were to purchase the unit to own it, it would cost you somewhere in the area of $700-800. The other thing about "buying" receivers off of places like eBay is that sometimes, the sellers do not have the right to sell the equipment.

As far as what the CSR told you, don't be surprised if you get a different story from another CSR.

That's weird. If someone bought something used of ebay and never activate it, it's their and they can do what ever they want with it (like reselling or trash it). Once they activated it, it becomes Directv?

I've been reading posts here and elsewhere saying if I bought a receiver off of Ebay or from Circuit City or Best Buy or anywhere I guess, that it's not mine. WHAT???

The ultimate question / fact is to READ any and all agreement papers, websites, etc when you are purchasing. They will spell out in explicate detail what type of transaction is actually taking place. They really do spell it out for the user, IF the user takes the time to read to provided information. IWC in post #4 is dead on.

FROM BESTBUY WEBSITE

$299.99 DIRECTV HDTV Receiver with Built-In Digital Video Recorder
Model: HR20-700S

Stay in the loop with your favorite TV shows with this receiver that features a built-in digital video recorder, allowing you to record both standard and high-definition content in addition to providing local channels.

* Prices shown are "lease upgrade fees." Additional $4.99/month. Lease fee applies for each DIRECTV Receiver you add. Programming commitment required. See additional terms.

FROM CIRCUIT CITY WEBSITE

$299.99 DIRECTV monthly lease fee of $4.99. Each additional receiver applies. A programming commitment is required and sold separately.

I don't even see DirecTV at Wal-Mart any more.

Last edited:
That's weird. If someone bought something used of ebay and never activate it, it's their and they can do what ever they want with it (like reselling or trash it). Once they activated it, it becomes Directv?

Not necessarily. Sometimes, people are selling leased receivers on eBay. Those receivers have always belonged to D* and the sellers do not have the right to resell them. By the same token, D* is not obligated to activate any receiver purchased off of eBay. If you try to activate it, it is really their decision to do so.

Other times, the receivers were actually owned by the seller who paid full retail price for it and they are allowed to resell the receivers. Again, D* is under no obligation to activate any receiver purchased that way.

Another fact to consider is that D* can make you obtain a new access card for your new "used" receiver. I would strongly encourage you to read the wrapper the card comes in BEFORE you open it. By opening the wrapper, you agree to all the terms and conditions of D*'s service the same way you agree to the EULA agreement for new software.

When did you buy the R15 after March 1 2006 Directv leased the equipment?

I bought my R15 at Walmart around March. Not sure of the day though. There were no papers to sign or look at. No fine print. I just picked it up off of the shelf like I would a DVD player and purchased it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.