Receiver Rev and Rom Verions Help

fire_317

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Can someone explain the Receiver Rev and Rom versions? I am lookig at upgrading to a 721 and I found one with a Rev of A21 and ROM 10. What is the Rev and Rom and Should I stay away from them or are they ok? I guess, does these mean anything? One is being advertised as eaisly programable? What does that mean? Is that an upgrade and how do I do it? Does the 721 have a smart card built in? What is a blue card? I have seen the 721 advertised with out card. Will my card from my model 5000 receiver (the one I want to upgrade) work in the 721? Where can I purchase just a card and how much should I expect to pay for a card? Can a 721 be activated on a current customer (since 1997) account?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am not educated on this. Any thoughts or questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

You dont have to worry about any of those things (rom, rev, etc). You should get a receiver that comes with a card though, otherwise you have to go through the hassle of getting dish to send you another one, paying them $50 i think. I wouldn't buy just a card off ebay or anywhere unless you trust the person, theres a good chance the card has been tampered with, and dish might not let you activate it.

So if you want a 721, either call dish up, or find one on ebay that comes with a smartcard. Or check the classifieds on this forum.

Good luck!

Most of the posted details on rev & rom and such are only of interest to hackers.

To give you a couple of specific answers, smartcards are "married" to their receiver - you can NOT legally switch them out. Blue cards are the older ones - supposedly they are the last hackable ones.

It's always a crapshoot buying used receivers off of ebay - communicate with the seller BEFORE bidding and get an idea of who he is and what he's about.

Before buying, ask for the receiver and smartcard numbers. If the seller won't give them to you, don't buy. call 800-333-3474 with those numbers and ask if the receiver is clear to add to your account and whether there's an outstanding balance owed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts