Receiver tries to connect to desktop?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diansul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I have an HR 21-700 connected to my home network; TV Apps work quite well. The receiver is connected to my router.

Zone Alarm on my desktop computer reports that the HR 21-700 receiver tries to connect to my desktop several times a day. Zone Alarm blocks each attempted connect; the attempted connects show up in the Zone Alarm log.

Why is the receiver trying to connect to my desktop?

The HR2X DVR's are trying to utilize the Media Server Capabilities of Windows Media Center.

interesting. When I hooked my R22 up to the internet it did that once on my computer and I said "dont do it again" and it hasnt in 4 months :)

interesting. When I hooked my R22 up to the internet it did that once on my computer and I said "dont do it again" and it hasnt in 4 months
smile.gif
Well, I've told the firewall program on my desktop computer not to accept a connection from the receiver, and it blocks all of its attempts to connect.

Is there some way to tell the receiver not to try to connect to my desktop? Or should I care even if it does connect?

The receivers send out a network broadcast looking for suitable servers for the Media Share feature. If your computer is running a server (WMP is typically running at all times) it will try to connect to that (but your firewall probably blocks it). There is no way to turn that off. If you want to use Media Share you will need to enable that connection if you run a firewall on the computer. Otherwise you probably don't need to worry about it

Well, I've told the firewall program on my desktop computer not to accept a connection from the receiver, and it blocks all of its attempts to connect.

Is there some way to tell the receiver not to try to connect to my desktop? Or should I care even if it does connect?

Go into Network and Sharing on your P.C. and turn off streaming from the DTV Renderer. right click and click on stop streaming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts