Receiver Upgrade

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
So I'm coming up on my 1 year with Dish & I've been thinking about switching from the VIP 722 to the VIP 612. I initially had a 612 but swapped it within the first week cause of the delay I had when switching channels and doing some research online. The 722 I got was a refurb and I'm on my second unit. Honestly I'm not happy with the refurb especially since the swap cost me $100 and I was told I'd be getting a new unit when the first one began acting funny. So if I don't get the 612 route, could I get a new 722? Refurb #2 is developing problems. I'd prefer the 612 so that I can save a few bucks. Anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance.

Some 612's are very solid,but in general 722 gets less complaints than the 612 or 622.If you could get a 722K think that would be your best bet.However if you have multiple receivers on your account then the 612 would save ya some cash.

We don't have access to inventory, so when we create an RA there's not going to be any way we can tell if it's a refurb or brand new. I can take a look at what we can do to get you a 612 instead of the 722 if you send me a PM.

I use a 612 at home, and love it, never have any problems. The biggest problem I have with the 612 is the small amount of recording space, but that's fixable with and EHD.

A 612 would NOT be an "upgrade". TOO MANY problems reported over the years. Stay with the 722. Sorry, Matt, but I've spent too much time here for too long.:D

Edit: No way a replacement would have cost you $100.00. The original 722 upgrade would have. Make sure your receiver is out in the open and well ventilated. Could be overheating. About 4 times out of 5 that is the problem.

Last edited:
I think you will save $7/mo. The monthly extra receiver fee for a 612 is $10, while the 722 is $17.

Edited to add: Yup: Iceberg is right. I have 2 612's and they are $10/mo each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)