Receiver went out/exchanging!

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
Without warning my receiver(722 HD DVR) has for the past week kept resetting itself over and over until it finally just stopped completely (wont turn on or off,all you hear is fan but it will go for hours and not reset)I went online to tech chat and they had me try evrything in which I knew wouldnt work,however in the process of doing what tech wanted me to do when I plugged in receiver it sparked (a little smoke came out)and caused my house breaker to go off,in turn caused a power surge to my new TV and it will not work now(I beleive the receiver caused this,I have a warranty on my TV so I will deal with that ,however I want to know if anyone else have experienced this.Dish is sending another receiver as I have DHPP but I want to make sure they dont try and charge me for a faulty receiver.
When I receive new receiver and mail back old one can I request a receipt back to make sure they received it(I will pay extra to do this).
Also when new receive arrives do I need to call them to activate,also since I am unable to watch any Dishnetwork until I receive new receiver ,should I try and get a credit.
Anyone else expeerienced sending back a receiver let me know how it all came out in the end.
Definately dont need them to charge my account for their faulty receiver.

Unless you did something that screams user abuse, you will not be charged.

Take the old receiver to UPS and have them give you a tracking receipt.

Yes, you will need to activate new box. Can be done online. It will come with detailed instructions.

RE Credit, all you can do is try.

I recently returned a 622 due to a bad disk. The process could not have been easier.

Dish will send your replacement receiver by UPS (second day air, if I recall correctly). They will also email the UPS tracking number to you so you can check the progress of the replacement.

Inside the box, in addition to the new receiver, is a UPS "ARS" (authorized return service) label. That label only routes to Dish. You place that label on the box with your old receiver and ship it via UPS. You can give the box to any UPS driver, or take it to a "The UPS Store". The store will give you a separate receipt, but there is no charge. I don't know if you get a receipt from a driver. The ARS label has a standard "1Z" UPS tracking number, so you can track it on the UPS website.

When Dish receives the receiver (in El Paso, I believe), they will email you to let you know they've received it. They also close out your open trouble ticket. The ARS service is a lower priority service than "regular" UPS, so it may take a few more days for Dish to receive the receiver than you might expect. That's OK, once it's in the system as "shipped", you're OK on the ten-day return limit.

They do reserve the right to charge you for the receiver if it's been opened or damaged by you. I would imagine that they would be able to tell that your sparks and smoke were caused by the original problem, and not by any abuse from you.

There are also detailed instructions in the box on how to hook up the new receiver and activate it. It can be activated over the internet or by phone.

EDIT: If you have the home protection plan (DHPP), this is all free.

All of the above responses are spot on.
I was told by the CSR that if you have a driver pick up your return you will be charged for the mailing cost. We took it to the store for free.
Also, I did not have DHPP so it only cost me $15(for another 722).
Beats having to commit for another 24mo they originally wanted me to do when I was asking for a 'better dvr' than another 722 box.

Without warning my receiver(722 HD DVR) has for the past week kept resetting itself over and over until it finally just stopped completely (wont turn on or off,all you hear is fan but it will go for hours and not reset)I went online to tech chat and they had me try everything in which I knew wouldn't work,however in the process of doing what tech wanted me to do when I plugged in receiver it sparked (a little smoke came out)and caused my house breaker to go off,in turn caused a power surge to my new TV and it will not work now(I believe the receiver caused this,I have a warranty on my TV so I will deal with that ,however I want to know if anyone else have experienced this.Dish is sending another receiver as I have DHPP but I want to make sure they don't try and charge me for a faulty receiver.
When I receive new receiver and mail back old one can I request a receipt back to make sure they received it(I will pay extra to do this).
Also when new receive arrives do I need to call them to activate,also since I am unable to watch any Dishnetwork until I receive new receiver ,should I try and get a credit.
Anyone else experienced sending back a receiver let me know how it all came out in the end.
Definitely don't need them to charge my account for their faulty receiver.

We bought a brand new 722K last August. In September, the same thing happened. For whatever reason, when I called a CSR, I was auto-routed into a higher level tech support queue. The tech filled out a no-charge RMA replacement with a free shipping tag included. He also told me that they had an entire series of these with a particular firmware that were beginning to show up as bad - with the constant reboot being the common denominator in all of them.

We own all of our receivers, so I don't know if leased receivers will be treated the same or the warranty further extended, but, bottom line: if a 722 receiver starts to continuously reboot and it's within the 1 year warranty, they should ship a replacement at no cost to you, with you being able to ship the old one back at on their dime - albeit you have to drop it off at a UPS store or be charged a pickup fee by UPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)