Receivers that accept External Drives

TravelFan1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Hi everyone, this is a, very likely, future customer here. Dish Network is supposed to light up my building this weekend. Currently, I am a ComCRAP customer that's dying to give them the boot. One of the things that entices me to move to Dish is the ability to add external hard drives to receivers and that's actually the reason for my question: As of 04/01/2009, what are the Dish receivers that accept external drives?

IMHO, this is something that would help novice users if it becomes either a sticky thread or part of a Q&A section. I tried to find the information on the existing postings but I was not able to do so.

Hi everyone, this is a, very likely, future customer here. Dish Network is supposed to light up my building this weekend. Currently, I am a ComCRAP customer that's dying to give them the boot. One of the things that entices me to move to Dish is the ability to add external hard drives to receivers and that's actually the reason for my question: As of 04/01/2009, what are the Dish receivers that accept external drives?
All VIP (HD) series receivers. Note, the 6**/7** series can use the EHD amongst themselves. The 211 and 211K is a different software format and can not work with the 6/7s. They also need separate activation (fees). There is no EHD support for SD receivers.

kab, thanks for the reply - a follow-up question: If I add an External Drive to a VIP222 or 222k, will I be able to watch one channel while recording another one? And, if so, will I be able to watch an HD channel while recording another HD channel? The description below, from Dish network web site, is kinda confusing:

DISH Network - ViP222 High Definition Receiver for 1 or 2 TVs - 1.888.825.2557

If the 222 accepts external drives, then I think I'll get 2 of them.

Beware, many MUD (multi-unit dwelling) installations convert the Dish channels to a cable-like distribution on multiple channels without a STB (set-top box). It is also possible to send the usual Sat signals to each unit up to say 12, more than that is harder. It cost more per unit for many units but you would get separate billing and package selection. You also need a feed or two for each STB.

-Ken

Beware, many MUD (multi-unit dwelling) installations convert the Dish channels to a cable-like distribution on multiple channels without a STB (set-top box). It is also possible to send the usual Sat signals to each unit up to say 12, more than that is harder. It cost more per unit for many units but you would get separate billing and package selection. You also need a feed or two for each STB.

-Ken
Thanks Ken, but that's not how our buildings were wired - each individual unit will have their own boxes and their own programming packages, if they so wish to switch to Dish from Comcrap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)