receiving echostart 12/15 (61.5 W)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Peter123

Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Ithaca NY
Dear Gurus!
Where I live (area code 14850) I cannot receive the usual 110W satellites - trees are blocking everyhing west of 90.
On the other hand, I found that echostar 12/15 is located at 61.5W, at 35 elevation, and tha bird is fully open from my house..
My question is : can I point a dish at this satellite and receive Dishnetwork programming?
(Few years ago a satillite installer came and he would not even try to point at that bird. Maybe he did not know about it....)

I appreciate the insight.

Thanks,
Peter

sure you can. Dish uses 2 "arcs"
Western Arc (110/119/129) and Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77)

Folks have aimed a Dish500 at 61.5 & 72 and got pretty much everything they need. Now with EA you need a VIP receiver (211/411/622/722/922) but it will work fine

Thanks Iceberg! This sound good! Are these satellites for Dishnetwork or DirectTV?
Can I get HD from these satellites?
Do you recomend a dish with rotator to get both ?
I am not familiar with the lingo (EA, VIP receiver and the numbers 211/411/622/722/922)?

Where shoul I look for an installer?

Appreciate your help.
Peter

Thanks Iceberg! This sound good! Are these satellites for Dishnetwork or DirectTV?
Can I get HD from these satellites?
Do you recomend a dish with rotator to get both ?
I am not familiar with the lingo (EA, VIP receiver and the numbers 211/411/622/722/922)?

Where shoul I look for an installer?

Appreciate your help.
Peter

Eastern arc is sat's at 61.5, 72 and 77 degrees. They have the locals for Rochester in HD. To get the sub-channels for 8, 10, 13 and 21 you will need an over the air antenna. Where I live in Marion, I can get the Syracuse locals with a roof top antenna with a rotor and a booster. I'm about 4 miles south of Spencer Speedway and on top of a hill. The VIP receivers are Dish's current receivers. You need one of them for the earc since they can decode mpeg4 compression. The 211 has a single Dish tuner and a ota tuner and for a 1 time $40/account charge you can add an external HD to give it dvr functionality. The 722k has dual Dish tuners and with an ota module, 2 ota tuners and is a dvr. You can add an external HD at no charge. If you PM me your phone number, I can give you a call when I get back in town on Sunday. I'm currently at my in laws house on Nantucket.

You do not use a rotor ona Dish dish. One dish will point at all three sat's on the earc. Look for one of the Dish Internet Response Team (DIRT). There names will be in red. They can set you up. To see who is online, go to the very top page of the forum. You will see which of them are currently online.

Eastern arc is sat's at 61.5, 72 and 77 degrees. They have the locals for Rochester in HD. To get the sub-channels for 8, 10, 13 and 21 you will need an over the air antenna. Where I live in Marion, I can get the Syracuse locals with a roof top antenna with a rotor and a booster. I'm about 4 miles south of Spencer Speedway and on top of a hill. The VIP receivers are Dish's current receivers. You need one of them for the earc since they can decode mpeg4 compression. The 211 has a single Dish tuner and a ota tuner and for a 1 time $40/account charge you can add an external HD to give it dvr functionality. The 722k has dual Dish tuners an those carry one ofd with h an ota module, 2 ota tuners and is a dvr. You can add an external HD at no charge. If you PM me your phone number, I can give you a call when I get back in town on Sunday. I'm currently at my in laws house on Nantucket.

Thank you so much for the info! hooking me up
Here in Ithaca OTA is pracally out of question. Hills everywhere. Noone in the neighbourhood has areal.

Do I understand you correctly, with the 722k tuner I could get all 3 satellites?
Any of those high definition?
I PM you my number. Thanks for hooking me up with the installers....

I hope you had a pleasent Thanksgiving.
Peter

Now an interesting response from the DishNetwork's own forum.f they would
When I asked if they would insall and point to 61.5 they answered:
"DirecTV HD service requires clear view of 99, 101 and 103ºW satellites. "
No explanation.
Peter

Those are Directv satellites. Sometimes people will spoof being Dish when they are really selling Directv, trying to nab extra business. You need Dish Network, as they have the slots you can see.

A ViP722K, for example, has 2 satellite tuners, and with an optional module (which it sounds like you have no use for), 2 OTA tuners. It receives both SD and HD signals and is a DVR.

You will likely get a 1000.4 dish, which looks at 61.5, 72 & 77. No need to slew the dish, it remains fixed.

"DirecTV HD service requires clear view of 99, 101 and 103ºW satellites. "
No explanation.
The statement needs no explanation. It may have resulted from mentioning DIRECTV in the preface to your query.

Subscribing to DISH Network programming involves fixed DISH Network dish(es) and DISH Network receiving equipment that are typically included (and professionally installed) after you sign up.