Receiving error 005 'Smart Card Auth' every few hours

fbara

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Oswego, IL
Guys, I thought I'd ask here for help prior to going thru E* famous tech support system. I have 2 ViP722's. Both have been updated to the latest L670 firmware (2 weeks ago for one receiver, 1 week ago for the other). On the receiver that was updated about a a week ago, I'm not receiving a popup error "005 Your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or order this program." I receive this on, what seems like, every channel, TLC, Discovery, Fox News, CNN, etc. I have the 200 pkg and don't subscribe to any movie channels. I receive this error approx every 2-4 hours, regardless of the channel I'm on. This only happens on 1 of the 722's. I've checked and there's no smart card in the receiver (I don't think it's supposed to have a physical card). I've reset the box several times. I've also unplugged the box several times, even leaving it unplugged for up to 15 min. This receiver was installed in Nov, 2008. Anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem and/or how to fix it before I try E* support? Thanks! Frank

Sorry for the one big block of text. For some reason it didn't keep my paragraph breaks. I'm still learning the new board system.

A little like my 722 with 670, mine has had the error message twice when I punch in 9477 on the remote. The error message says to hit up or down on remote, this solves the problem.
Dan