I WAS fired up about upgrading to the 922. Should I still be.

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I currently have a VIP 622. It has been a great DVR, still is. But I think I am finally ready to upgrade to the 922. I was all fired up, but then started reading some of the posts here. I don't really use TV 2 much. My 622 stays in single mode almost all of the time. I don't archive to an external drive. But....of course I want to get reliable recording from the box. I will want the OTA module, because I use OTA recording sometimes now. I would love to have the sling capabilities, especially to my android phone. So should I still be fired up, or am I asking for trouble. I love the new interface, but don't want to be disappointed. What do ya all think?

Got my first one in May. Got the next one in July. Got the last one last week. The $30 Android app no longer works but Dish is supposed to be working on one now. The new iPhone/iPod app works great. My last replacement was as a result of dropped/missing recordings. That's the bad. I really like the GUI. I use the Sling only occasionally but that's nice. I really enjoy the DLNA streaming. Using Playon as a server I get to watch programs on Hulu and NBC that I may have missed for one reason or another. Plus a lot of other good stuff. My wife had a gathering last month of 4 old gals she's known for nearly 70 years. I put together a slide show on my PC of a lot of old photos of all of them when they were kids and it blew them away to see that on our 82" Mits. Based on what Scott has posted I think an update will be here in a month or so that will cure most if not all the bugs. But unless you want to keep the 622 to back up recording of your favorite programs, you might think about holding off for 5 or 6 weeks. I really enjoy the 922 but I did keep the 622 so I haven't missed any programs since the first time or two.

Really, the android 30 dollard app doesn't work with the VIP 922. That's one thing I really wanted to use the sling capabilities for. Bummer. :(

That's interesting because my android slingplayer app works just fine with my 922.

Well, this old man was wrong again it looks like. I had last tried on my new EVO about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I just tried after reading this and it works fine. I did get a replacement 922 last week so that may have entered into it. The Android app is not as good, IMHO as the new free iPhone/iPod Touch app. I have that on my Touch. Maybe the new upcoming Android app which is supposed to be free will work more like the new free iPhone app.

For me at least, the new free iPhone app works much better than the sling app that I have. I use it all the time while I am at work, I listen to TV shows mostly. Anyway, the sling seems to work fine for me and all I can get where I live in the country is a DSL connection with 256k upstream.