Horrible First Experience with Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tcugrilla

Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I had the Dish Network installed Friday nite with a HD DVR receiver. I had the same setup with Comcast and had no problems with them, DIsh just had better pricing for what I needed. Our picture with the Dish setup is great, but there is a huge lag when changing channels, anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I have never seen a lag of any kind with Comcast or Direct TV. The lag is so bad that watching TV is not an enjoyable experience. Dish Network tech support informed me that anything less than 10 seconds is acceptable and is within their guidelines. It may be their guidelines, but certainly not mine. I called to cancel my service and was told that since I had signed a contract that I would be charged a $420 fee. I explained that my service had never worked and that the service was not acceptable. This is a joke of the worst kind. Now I read that this lag problem is prevalent with their service.

Two questions: Has anyone gotten this problem fixed? If not did you have any luck canceling your service without paying a termination fee?

I have never seen a lag of 5 - 10 seconds when changing channels on a DVR, normally it is normal about 2 or 3 on a DVR... (The DVR has to record to a buffer and then start playback from the buffer... with a DVR you never actually watching live TV. Also unlike cable understand the signal is 100% digital, so the box needs to decode the signal as well and convert it to a format your TV understands. (That could be a major reason why cable was faster changing channels) Its always delayed a few seconds because of that reason.

You can try a reset with your HDDVR, that usually clears up a really slow change and response. As Scott says, there is a little lag with them because of the buffers. Both my 722k and 612 take about 1-2 seconds to do the channel change.

As to D*'s lagging, well until the HR24 came out, all the D* HDDVRs were very sluggish. Non-DVR and non-HD weren't.

Using your guide to browse rather than channel surfing will make all the difference for you. Give it a try.

Post #1. I don't know about this one.

I will say this:

1. The lag on Comcast, Direct, and Dish is pretty even for HD DVR's. It is exactly how Scott explained.

2. I doubt Dish would say 10 seconds is acceptable. If that 'really' happened. Call back and talk to another CSR.

3. If it just got installed, I'm sure you can get out without an ETF, depending on your state, but you have to have a 'warranty' period. For example AT&T & Verizon contracts have a first 30 day easy out.

Using your guide to browse rather than channel surfing will make all the difference for you. Give it a try.

I will second this. I have used DISH, Comcast and TWC recently. The DISH guide is vastly superior to the other two. It requires a slightly different way of surfing, but once I got used to it, I never looked back. I now really miss it.

I especially liked that DISH provided for multiple favorite lists, as well as themed lists, so you could just browse through channels of interest.

The biggest mental thing to change is the way that you watch TV.. It is not feasible to scroll through the channels.. The Lag will kill you.. Use the Guide to scroll the program list.. Find what you want then make the channel change..

I've never had any of the dual/vip dvr receivers lag like this, but I've only used 625 and 722 models. I'd call and get another CSR. It could be a bad HDD, or it may not be properly vented and overheating and that is causing the lag.

I do remember those old single tuner models that lagged when viewing the guide/turning the channels...also I remember how I could make toast on my old model 3000 receiver .. that is if I could have wrestled my cat off it.

ETF your stuck with, you signed a 2 yr. contract. Plan on honoring what you contracted for. Nobody twisted your arm or forced you to sign the agreement.

looks like you have bad receiver. Just ask them to change it and problem will be resolved. I know this was common problem with some old Vip 612 receivers but not anymore. Dish Network better hd-dvr then anybody else.

I had the Dish Network installed Friday nite with a HD DVR receiver. I had the same setup with Comcast and had no problems with them, DIsh just had better pricing for what I needed. Our picture with the Dish setup is great, but there is a huge lag when changing channels, anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I have never seen a lag of any kind with Comcast or Direct TV. The lag is so bad that watching TV is not an enjoyable experience. Dish Network tech support informed me that anything less than 10 seconds is acceptable and is within their guidelines. It may be their guidelines, but certainly not mine. I called to cancel my service and was told that since I had signed a contract that I would be charged a $420 fee. I explained that my service had never worked and that the service was not acceptable. This is a joke of the worst kind. Now I read that this lag problem is prevalent with their service.

Two questions: Has anyone gotten this problem fixed? If not did you have any luck canceling your service without paying a termination fee?

I feel your pain....might as well look else where for help cause everyone(accept me) on this board loves Dish.

I don't think its that bad but I've had dvrs for quite a while and am used to it. I remember using a 14 hour Tivo with a Directv box with an IR blaster(years ago), might as well go get a cup of coffee between channel changes :) But yes, the guide is the way to browse these days.

I switched from Cablevision to Dish 2 years ago because of the slow cable boxes. You must have a defective receiver, because I have very little lag when changing channels. OP just needs to call Dish and have a different tech come out.

As far as everyone on this board loving dish, just take a look at all of the "why i am leaving dish posts".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts