Receiving FTA on 125 West - Montana PBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

electronmini

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Now back in Texas
I used to watch every spring in the cottage Montana PBS on 125W and now a learned that went DBV-s2 and I can get all the others (create, V-Me, World) but no PBS (weak signal).

Do I need to buy a HDTV set ( mine is analog) and can still use my CW700S, or can I buy some tuner (not for the PC)?

One friend brought his Viewsat 9000HD but we could not get it to even show the menu on the TV. Is the problem my analog TV or anything else?

Please help me with directions as to what do I need to buy.
Thanks

You need a receiver that can decode DVB-S2. Right now there are 3 out there that I know of receiver wise

azbox (can get pretty much any unscrambled channel out there...HD, SD, S2)
Pansat 9200 with DVB-S2 adapter in it
Openbox (also goes under Solomend and Sathawk)....probably the least expensive of the 3 at $125-$150

You do not need a different TV.

nah. Mind other places and it seems like those 3 are the most common threads latelly. Plus I had a 8000 so I should know it does S2 ;)

Ice's original answer is correct... three receivers available new.
And those are usually what I think of, too.

The list of out-of-production units is valuable, if ya run across such a receiver.
That happens, ... often at Goodwill stores, or yard sales. ;)

Might it be worth a sticky... or an entry in The Tip of the Iceberg ?
I don't think there are a dozen HD receivers, so it wouldn't be much of a list.
edit: okay, more than a dozen, but not -two- dozen! ;:)
And not much need be said about each one:
"It does HD, gets S2 (as-is or with add-on board), 4:2:2 ?, has an ATSC tuner (or not), it records (or not), in or out of production."

I hope you have a decent size dish too. Montana PBS, and most S2 signals, need a lot of signal. My 90cm is marginal sometimes. This channel is known to stutter for some reason. The power on the transponder seems to fluctuate a lot too.

Montana PBS on 125W with Viewsat 9000HD

I tryed to set all transponder as per lyngsat and I cannot get Montana PBS with the ViewSat 900 HD and a HDTV set.

I edit the transponder and also do blind search but I do not get Montana PBS. I get V-me, Create, World and also the News Hours on what it seems a feed every day at 6:00 PM Central Time. Then it comes with a screen with HDoo1 and another channel with HD003.

I am not sure if I have the correct firmare, can I get some ideas on what to do?

Please help!
Thanks

a viewsat 9000 will not get DVB-S2 and the channels you are looking for....

Mike: Please help me to understand why the ViewSat 9000HD will not get Montana PBS if the manual says: "Fully MPEG-2 & DVB-S2 Compliant- Input frequency 950 ~ 2150 MHz".

Please help me to understand even that I know you are right because i purchased a new TV (HD) and also a used Viewsat 9000HD and I canno am not entering the right parameters. But I get CREATE, V-me, WORLD and some other thing (The news Hour at 6:00 PM Central time for just an hours !!)
Thanks for your patience !

Viewsat Max HD LIE!

I have a Viewsat Max HD receiver and the owner's manual says it will do S2. In fact it does not. To say it does S2 is a lie! (I think they wanted to sell more units so they said that)

Otherwise, I like the receiver quite well. It gives a good picture and otherwise does what it's supposed to do.:)

Mike: Please help me to understand why the ViewSat 9000HD will not get Montana PBS if the manual says: "Fully MPEG-2 & DVB-S2 Compliant- Input frequency 950 ~ 2150 MHz".

They tried to hype that receiver as an ultimate FTA tool, but in reality doesn't do DVB-S2. As SonicView, the ViewSat PRs (i think now they're in jail for ties with tv pirates) also said they were gonna make a board for their receiver but it never came to exist.

Please help me to understand even that I know you are right because i purchased a new TV (HD) and also a used Viewsat 9000HD and I canno am not entering the right parameters. But I get CREATE, V-me, WORLD and some other thing (The news Hour at 6:00 PM Central time for just an hours !!)
Thanks for your patience !

You get Create, V-Me, World and a feed or two in a single transponder because thats DVB-S, which the receiver can do (also HD MPEG-2, h.264 i can't remember if it can be done with a ViewSat). You should be able to also get PBS HD East and West at 125ºW Ku (12140 V, SR 30,000, DVB-S, 1080i HD) and a couple of daily feeds with BBC News for PBS and some other things there..

that corec the viewsat dose not get dvb s2 , i have the same problem whit mi viewsat max HD, it is a lie what it said on the box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)